Author Topic: Tutorial 2 - Flickr  (Read 8142 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Tutorial 2 - Flickr
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2011, 22:30 »
Here is a summary of the steps ....

1.  Go to page in your Flickr account with the photo you wish to upload.
2.  Above the photo, there is an email icon (an envelope) and a Facebook icon and a Twitter icon - just beside the Twitter icon, there is a downward pointing arrow - click on that arrow
3.  The pop-up menu that appears, click on the downward arrow beside Grab the HTML/BBCode
4.  Click on the radio button (round button) beside BBCode
5.  Copy all the coding that appears in the box
6.  Paste that code in the reply textbox on the Forum thread where you want to post your photo

Remember, post one or your best photo on the Forum in order to reduce the number of times the Forum has to access your gallery to display your photo - each time it does that, it costs the Project some money.  At the moment we are fine, but the more photos we have, the more of our reserve we use up. 

So, just display one or two photos and then let folks visit your gallery on Flickr to view more/the rest.  The Flickr code we have just used to display your photo here contains a link directly to your gallery, all folks have to do is click on your photo.

One of the advantages of having folks come to visit your gallery, they can leave comments.  From someone who leaves comments on photographers' websites, this really is the best way to leave a message about a photo you enjoy and as a photographer who has received complimentary comments, its a great way to collect kudos and answer questions.  If you want to see what I mean, check out Dennis' gallery at (www.pbase.com/photosbydennis).

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2011, 22:11 »
Yeah I am off to bed now, have an appointment tomorrow. Night TPC, again ty. See ya all later.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2011, 22:10 »
Okay, its 2210 hrs (local) so we'll call it a night tonight.

We'll continue the discussion on Thursday ...

Thanks for coming out folks, hope to see some of you again on Thursday!

TPC

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2011, 22:05 »
No I can't think of any other questions.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2011, 22:02 »
Back on topic  ;D
Any more questions about uploading photos for this evening?

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2011, 21:54 »
I will check that out when I go through the faq

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2011, 21:53 »
Anyone else have questions?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2011, 21:52 »
That is true TPC, I try to weed out the spammer's

Check to see what Flickr has in place to protect from spammers (which are usually automated responses).  Flamers (folks who are being purposefully mean/cruel) are different and they can be members or non-members.

What you might have is the ability to review (some call it "moderate") comments made - that is you see them before they are posted - if they aren't offensive you approve them and they get posted to your gallery, those you don't approve are deleted without them ever seeing the light of day ....

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2011, 21:49 »
Just wanted you to know photobucket is in maintenance mode until around midnight.  ::)
As I said last night, I registered an account with Photobucket last evening but could not upload any photos to my photo gallery, so now I know why. ::) Will try again maybe tomorrow evening and then will likely have questions about Photobucket on Thursday evening.

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2011, 21:48 »
That is true TPC, I try to weed out the spammer's

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2011, 21:46 »
... If you don't have an account and don't want to get one, try leaving a comment, if you can't, no harm done.
Well, I tried to leave a comment in eagle's photo gallery but could not because I don't have an account. So I guess that answers my question.

I believe that is the default that Flickr applies so that it can get more folks to sign up.  I believe that anyone can set it so anyone can post, it's just that the account holder needs to go in and actually click the button for it.

For some folks, they don't really care about comments OR they get lots of spam or crank comments when anyone can post a comment so they leave it on a members-only setting just to weed some of those folks out.

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2011, 21:45 »
Oh thank-you for getting that for me.  I have been watching birds for over 33 years now and I am trying to get a photo of each bird I see.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2011, 21:44 »
Here's the link for the Getty Images information ... Eagle because you have an account, if you are signed in and then click on the links in the text, I believe it will take you to more detailed information.
http://www.flickr.com/help/gettyimages/

Here is the link to more general information on things you can do ...
http://www.flickr.com/help/faq/

Don't get twitched by the amount of information here, just decide what you want to look for and then look to answer one question at a time ... like how you can set up your gallery to accept comments, and then just read up on that one item.  When you have that solved, ask your next question.  If you try to read through it all, its abit overwhelming (for everyone!!! this is what I do)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2011, 21:43 »
... If you don't have an account and don't want to get one, try leaving a comment, if you can't, no harm done.
Well, I tried to leave a comment in eagle's photo gallery but could not because I don't have an account. So I guess that answers my question.

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2011, 21:40 »
Yeah well give it a week or two, kinderchick, there will be new stuff up