Author Topic: Logan - 2011 / Cowboy & Kate  (Read 37391 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Logan - 2011 / Cowboy & Kate
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2011, 08:53 »
Okay, BOT folks ;)

Not sure if Birdnut has Easter Monday off, but I hope she doesn't, would love to know what our newest pair are up to this fine morning.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2011, 22:53 »
So, if, they can be giddy up or giddy down, how does the cowboy stay on?
And what happens to the tassles?   :-\
well now Alli, not so sure how to tell you about tassels :-\ :-\  Go gypsy  ;D

hat stays on because it has the under the chin idiot string.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2011, 22:50 »
So, if, they can be giddy up or giddy down, how does the cowboy stay on?
And what happens to the tassles?   :-\

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2011, 22:46 »
Giddy up?? Can peregrines be giddy ?? up or down??

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2011, 22:43 »
Yup.   :-\
Giddy up??  Okay.   :-\
Didn't know falcons could giddy..........  ???
Hmmmm,   :-X

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2011, 20:45 »
Possibly another nesting pair in Winnipeg! :o Wow! That's great news! ;D I don't check the Forum for 24 hours and I miss all of the excitement! ;) Giddy up, Cowboy! 8)

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2011, 15:53 »
You'd think this would be easy to answer ...

Thank you, Tracy. It may not have been easy but it was very interesting and informative.
After several years following our birds and being on the forum, I realize there are always more questions.
Luckily, we have TPC.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2011, 14:02 »
Did a drive by of different sites from about 10:00 am to 11:00 am or so,
didn't notice any of the peregrines.  Easy to stop almost anywhere to look about from the car.  The fact I didn't see any means very little of course - but had been hoping.  Need to get going earlier.
Happy hunting.

Keep in mind they are being secretive, we have had to come back a second time to find them - surprisingly easy for a peregrine to hide itself when it wants to ... mostly they don't "want" to so its nice to be forced to use all the "old" observational skills ...

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2011, 12:34 »
Thanks for the pics, Dennis  :-*  8)

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 11:51 »
Did a drive by of different sites from about 10:00 am to 11:00 am or so,
didn't notice any of the peregrines.  Easy to stop almost anywhere to look about from the car.  The fact I didn't see any means very little of course - but had been hoping.  Need to get going earlier.
Happy hunting.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 11:39 »
I hope Dennis got some photos.   :-* 8)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 10:41 »
What she said... :)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 10:39 »
Thanks for all the info, Tracy. Fascinating. It will be so interesting to see how this all plays out.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2011, 10:12 »
You'd think this would be easy to answer ...

Is this worrisome for Princess and Ivy?

Doesn't appear to be and hasn't appeared to be with other Radisson pairs when it has happened twice in the past.  The Radisson is the dominant site, so it appears, whoever holds it, is the dominant pair in the City.  From what we have seen, the resident birds force out the interlopers - Princess pushed Sandy out but Sandy was actually at the Radisson.  Where Cowboy and Kate are is in the territory but not as close as pairs have tried before.  And from what we have seen of Cowboy's and Kate's behaviour, they appear to understand that they are perhaps too close.  Princess and Ivy have four eggs and appear to be incubating solidly and without agitation and there is no way they don't know Cowboy and Kate are at HSC.  So am I worried about Princess and Ivy, not at this point, they are solidly in command of the Radisson and Cowboy and Kate look to be too occupied with their own activities at other sites.  But of course, we'll watch over them all.

Also, are there more peregrines then usual and is that a good sign for their survival?

'Fraid not for me.  An exciting possible sign that once we the S Winnipeg site back in operation perhaps we will have birds around to take advantage of it though, which is an optimistic sign (to me at least).  Here are some of my questions about the longevity of Cowboy and Kate in Winnipeg:
  • We had two pairs in the City in the early 1990s and they were solid.  Then the Radisson male disappeared and the remaining male ditched the wife and moved downtown (sound familiar?).  
  • When we have had second downtown pairs they only lasted a year each, possibly because it was just too stressful to be so close to the Radisson pair and raise young.  
  • Beau and Jules are new at this still and while we would love to think they will be as successful as last year, this is Jules' fourth year here so her track record isn't that stellar.  And if she hadn't found Beau, she could have gone off to where there were more men to choose from or where a new man led her.
  • We have also seen some unusual activity among all our pairs - they have all been sharing a hunting location without any apparently out-right hostility but that may have to do with a long cool spring and lots of water, there just isn't lots of waterfowl/waterbirds back yet (or so it appears).  
  • Cowboy is 11 years old and Kate is 6, they are both well into breeding age and no one has seen these birds for years - Kate since she fledged, Cowboy since he was 2.  Perhaps they have been breeding elsewhere and couldn't go back or felt they couldn't go forward without more food available and have decided to take their chances here in the City where pigeons are always present (and most present downtown)

When we have had pairs move into new territories and last, they come back younger and stay ... T-Rex came back the year after hatching and was rock-solid and usually the first bird home each year; Trey was in town for two years before he took over the Radisson; Ivy was in WW then the Radisson; 9/3 and Sherpa were males-in-waiting who would have easily taken up with any available females in the years they were here.  Burnsie hung around even after T-Rex left her as did Jules post-Ivy and even Madame didn't leave after she was pushed out by Princess.  Those birds taking up residence would make me wonder if we would have a solid 2nd/3rd pair.  This may just be a sabbatical year for Cowboy and Kate, we will just have to see what happens since we just don't know for sure why they decided to take their chances this year so close to the Radisson.

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 09:33 »
Is this worrisome for Princess and Ivy?

Also, are there more peregrines then usual and is that a good sign for their survival?