Author Topic: Logan - 2011 / Cowboy & Kate  (Read 38147 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Logan - 2011 / Cowboy & Kate
« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2011, 15:38 »
I am pretty sure the bird here last week was an adult.  Even from the ground, you can see he/she was blue not brown with a very white chest.  He/she was there 3 evenings last week after 4:00 ish when the sun has passed over head and the sign is in the shade of the building.

I was pretty sure it would be an adult given what we have seen of fledgling behaviour at this time of the year.  Thanks for the confirmation Birdnut!!

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2011, 15:26 »
I am pretty sure the bird here last week was an adult.  Even from the ground, you can see he/she was blue not brown with a very white chest.  He/she was there 3 evenings last week after 4:00 ish when the sun has passed over head and the sign is in the shade of the building.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2011, 17:18 »
Could it even be one of the Radisson juvies, TPC? :-\

Juveniles & adults look very different so if the shape was visible but no detail, it could be.  Not sure that that would be the case though, the kids seem to prefer to hang around with others, not by themselves at a somewhat hidden location ... could be though, we'll have to see if anyone can get a decent look at the bird when/if it next appears ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2011, 13:52 »
Could it even be one of the Radisson juvies, TPC? :-\

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2011, 12:34 »
We went a-wandering yesterday and no sign of anyone at CSC or HSC or the Crow's Nest, so it may be that Cowboy and Kate did leave us when the prey returned and that its one of the Radisson or West Winnipeg birds taking a break.  We ID Jules at this location in the spring so we know she goes there.  I'm inclined to say it was a Radisson bird, though we haven't been able to ID them by their bands here this year - Jules and Beau continue to be in their territory pretty consistently since the start of nesting.

Its a bit early for birds from away to be turning up, give it another month, month-and-a-half and then it could be a resident bird or a traveller.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #140 on: July 29, 2011, 22:55 »
I love to hear that there are falcons perching in so many locations is Winnipeg!  Very encouraging!  LOVE IT!!!

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2011, 09:43 »
Some birdie(same one as yesterday???) was sitting on the east facing Buhler side again last night at about 4:00.  By this time of the day the sun is gone and he has a great view of the pigeons.  Nobirdie around this morning, but the sign is in the bright sunshine.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2011, 23:51 »
That is good news, birdnut! :) But I wonder which bird it could be?

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2011, 10:33 »
After not being around the HSC for weeks, somebirdie has come back to visit us this AM.
It looks like an adult male from the size and colour, but who are you? 
Radisson male come to visit??? Cowboy back for the view????
He has been sitting on the H in John of the John Buhler sign on the east side since about 7:30.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2011, 07:41 »
Tracy is it possible these 2 re-nested?
If so there might be some chicks out there that we don't know about.
Has that ever happened, that there were nesting birds you didn't know about?

Given the surprises this year, I'm not willing to say "no" for sure!  Actually we should have seen them much more regularly if they had re-nested and we didn't, so we are pretty sure they haven't.  But it would be very cool if they did and we caught them in time to band the chicks  ;D

That would really be cool!  ;D
Ditto to that! :)

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2011, 13:29 »

Given the surprises this year, I'm not willing to say "no" for sure!  Actually we should have seen them much more regularly if they had re-nested and we didn't, so we are pretty sure they haven't.  But it would be very cool if they did and we caught them in time to band the chicks  ;D

That would really be cool!  ;D

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2011, 13:12 »
I "really like" that wishful thinking TPC.  That would be such a bonus to a rough year for the Manitoba Peregrines. Wow, what excitement that would be! :o

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2011, 12:53 »

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2011, 10:53 »
...Has that ever happened, that there were nesting birds you didn't know about?
I'm pretty sure, Doreen, that if there are/were nesting peregrines with chicks anywhere in Wpg. that both Tracy & Dennis would know. ;)
Well I have to agree with you Kinderchick that TPC and Dennis would Know, maybe Cowboy and Kate didn't like the weather here or the digs didn't suit them. :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2011, 10:20 »
...Has that ever happened, that there were nesting birds you didn't know about?
I'm pretty sure, Doreen, that if there are/were nesting peregrines with chicks anywhere in Wpg. that both Tracy & Dennis would know. ;)