Author Topic: 2011 - Kinderchicklets / Will Princess & Ivy & the eggs be okay?  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Will Princess & Ivy & the eggs be okay?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 19:03 »
Several of the Kinderchicklets reported to me that they went home last weekend and tried the experiment that you had suggested, Tracy. They even reported that their mommies and daddies thought they were making their beds, all by themselves, without being asked! :o So, of course, they had to explain the experiment to their parents! :D

The 'chicklets really like doing experiments! We even tried the experiment at school, with a big warm blanket, taking turns trapping their body heat, under the blanket. They thought that was really cool and are happy that they don't have to worry about Princess and Ivy's eggs getting cold. :) They are really looking forward to the eggs hatching and hopefully they will be able to see this when they are at school. ;)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Will Princess & Ivy & the eggs be okay?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:38 »
Hey Kinderchicklets,

Its very good of you to be concerned about Princess and Ivy and the eggs.  It was alot of snow wasn't it?  But even though there was alot of snow, there wasn't alot in the nestbox, just enough to get Princess all snowy while she was incubating.

As for the eggs, they will be fine.  Princess is a very experienced mother and she knows how to keep her eggs warm underneath her and she has taught Ivy how to do it as well.  (Remember, this is only the second time Ivy has had eggs to take care of - Princess has had eight years to practice!). 

If you want to try an experiment, try this.  Tomorrow morning when you wake up and you are all warm under your bed covers or duvets that is what it is like for the eggs under Princess.  When you get out of your bed, slip out from under your covers/duvet and make your bed but be very careful not to let the warmth escape.  Then go off and have your breakfast or get dressed or whatever you do first thing.  Then come back and carefully put your hand under your covers again - it should still be warm under there - the covers/duvet will have trapped the warmth from your body.  That's what happened with the eggs when it was snowing on Sunday.  Princess was using her body and her feathers to keep her eggs warm.  When she had to leave to get some food, Ivy would come quickly into the box so that he could use his body and feathers to keep the eggs warm like your covers/duvet did when you made your bed.  When the weather is cold, Princess and Ivy don't leave the eggs uncovered for long so that they can trap the heat and then the eggs don't get cold.  When its warmer, like today, they might leave the eggs uncovered for a few minutes because they sun will help to keep the eggs warm.  If it gets very hot, Princess and Ivy will have to use their bodies and wings to keep the eggs shaded so they don't get too hot!  That would be like taking a nap in your snowsuit on the beach in the middle of the summer!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Hi Tracy! This morning when my Kinderchicklets arrived at school, a few of them were concerned about all of the snow we received here in Winnipeg this past weekend and wanted me to ask you if Princess & Ivy and their eggs will be okay up there in their nestbox. I showed them the photo that you posted on the Radisson board and they were really worried about Princess and her eggs sitting in all that snow. I tried to assure them that they would be okay, but maybe you could offer a few encouraging words of your own. Thanks! :-*