Author Topic: Tower Nest - 2011 / Zeus & Alice  (Read 15695 times)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
Re: Tower Nest - 2011 / Zeus & Alice
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2011, 20:49 »
Alice is still here, she was laying down on the lower catwalk halfway up the tower when I first saw her and then she sat up. It was very gusty here this afternoon and she would be out of the wind in that spot.  I was on the southeast side of the tower and because she was much lower on the tower I could see her much better. :)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 20:52 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2011, 13:32 »
I suspect that Zeus & Alice and Brooklyn & Hurricane will all leave about the same time - that way they prevent each other from "visiting" each others' nestsites ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2011, 13:30 »
It really is too far away even with my binos, so I can't really tell.  I used to be able to get closer to the other side but since the flooding this spring the road has been blocked to get to that area.  :(   On the bright side, I did see both Zeus and Alice this afternoon.

With luck next year there will be no (or less) flooding for access!!   I suspect that lighting (morning vs afternoon light) could be a big deal at this site because of the distance ... but I'm sure you will soon figure out the best spots and times :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2011, 12:57 »
So great to hear that you spotted both Zeus & Alice, rcf! 8)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2011, 18:17 »
Alice has quite alot of brown on her and always looks muffed up on the head with white feathers showing ... could you see that from your vantage point RCF?  I know there is quite a distance to the tower from the closest spot ...

It really is too far away even with my binos, so I can't really tell.  I used to be able to get closer to the other side but since the flooding this spring the road has been blocked to get to that area.  :(   On the bright side, I did see both Zeus and Alice this afternoon.

Zeus

Alice

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 23:11 »
Alice must like this spot, she was perched here on Thursday.  I only saw one birdie, maybe Zeus has migrated already.

Alice has quite alot of brown on her and always looks muffed up on the head with white feathers showing ... could you see that from your vantage point RCF?  I know there is quite a distance to the tower from the closest spot ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 21:10 »
Thanks for the photo of Alice, rcf. :-*

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 20:03 »
Alice must like this spot, she was perched here on Thursday.  I only saw one birdie, maybe Zeus has migrated already.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 20:06 by Rapidcitymbfan »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2011, 08:46 »
Oh, that's so great that you spotted Alice, rcf! Now all we need is a photo from you.  ;) :-*

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2011, 08:41 »
I went out to the tower and had a look on Thursday hoping to see a peregrine.  I did see one flying and then land on the tower.  I'm pretty sure it was Alice and not Zeus since I could see through binos the birdie was very large and the breast not so bright.  8) :)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 21:59 »
I remember thinking her boyfriend looked like one of the "old" birds (Phoebe, T-Rex, Trey, Cowboy).

I thought Dennis' photo of Zeus showed off a very handsome bird, on par with the rockstar Trey.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 20:03 »
then come spring everyone comes back all hopped up on hormones and the fun starts again (I mean the PF's not the forum members).

;D ;D

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 18:03 »
What an interesting story of these two. It seems so unlikely that they will meet in this big wide country and then come spring everyone comes back all hopped up on hormones and the fun starts again (I mean the PF's not the forum members). It's hard to believe.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 15:47 »
Thanks for updating us TPC. Keeping my fingers crossed for next year  :)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 20:50 »
What a great story!  I truly hope Zeus manages to get back next year and set up housekeeping with Alice.  Thanks for the edification, rcf and TPC :)