Author Topic: 2011 Donations  (Read 13952 times)

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: 2011 Donations
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2011, 14:30 »
The Humane Society contacts me every time to request permission to publish my name with a donation - they say otherwise they are not allowed to do so. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 20:28 »
Whatever you need to do is fine with me, TPC. :)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 09:19 »
Thanks Bccs, you have made your position very clear and provided good information for other folks.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 20:25 »
Publishing serves to remind those people who would normally donate but have forgotten that it's donation time again.

Now there's a good thought. 

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 20:00 »
Just stay anonymous. It's not that big of a deal.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 17:37 »
I forgot to add  -  if anybody would care to verify my research and sources, please e-mail me, I'll be very happy to give this info to you. And the people that I spoke with at both levels of the government are looking forward to speaking with another interested party.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 16:42 »
Today I have spoken with the federal government and the provincial government regarding a charity having to post doners names.

The feds say that if it is is charity registered provincially, the provincial rules apply.
The province has told me that there is no law or legislation dictating that a registered charity must publish, in any media, their donor list.

Now, that being said, a charity may choose to publish who donates, but, that said charity MUST inform the donators that it is about to publish and must give to donors the opportunity to agree to have their name published or be listed as an anonymous donors or not.

So, I believe that this clarifys the legality of publication.

And again I say, that my name being published or not, reveals whether I have donated or not.

However, I am still of the firm belief that my donations are a personal and private mater, as is just how I voted ( if I did ), and for which party I voted.

If information about donations are published, then I will have no option other than to re-examine my charitible donations.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 16:44 by bccs »

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 10:44 »
Whatever works is fine with me, TPC!  Just another task for you to devote your energy to.  While the birds are basking in the sun, it'll give you something to do!

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 06:25 »
As I said folks, I'm thinking about it though I have heard from other charities that public acknowledgement of donations may be a requirement and I'm trying to find out if this is the case.  That would be full name, first and last, not the first name and first initial of last name as I was thinking of doing.  If it is, I will be adding in the option for folks to withhold their name from publication (i.e., "anonymous donor") if that is their desire.  My main question is, if we do have to "publish" the names, where do we have to do it? Online or in an annual report or ??  When I do have that information, I will let everyone know.  
When we donate to a local Charity eg.( Christmas Cheer fund) the donations( Name of the donor and amount donated )are published in the Brandon Sun. You can have your name withheld, then donation is listed and marked anonymous. This is how its been for decades.I've never heard that there was a legal requirement to do this. Publishing serves to remind those people who would normally donate but have forgotten that it's donation time again.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 06:42 by Rose »

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 06:12 »
I think it's pretty common to post names but I've noticed lots of people are anonymous. Lists for running events are the same, you can check a box if you don't want your name posted and that spot is left blank.

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 23:14 »
TPC, whatever you decide to do/whatever has to be done is perfectly fine with me.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 22:07 »
As I said folks, I'm thinking about it though I have heard from other charities that public acknowledgement of donations may be a requirement and I'm trying to find out if this is the case.  That would be full name, first and last, not the first name and first initial of last name as I was thinking of doing.  If it is, I will be adding in the option for folks to withhold their name from publication (i.e., "anonymous donor") if that is their desire.  My main question is, if we do have to "publish" the names, where do we have to do it? Online or in an annual report or ??  When I do have that information, I will let everyone know. 

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 17:09 »
 " What I have been thinking about doing after the next maintenance closure is post a list of donors (first name & first initial of last name) for the 2010 and 2011 calendar years so folks can confirm what they should have received and from which year.  I will also include those who donate through the All Charities Campaign even though they (mostly) received their receipts from the Campaign not the Project."

I have to say that I have great reservations about posting any sort of list.
There are quite a few members who have chosen to use their first names as a member - ie pam, dennis, carly, bev.....etc.
So if their name shows up or not, all the people that read the forum will be able to determine if they have contributed or not.

Secondly, a great many members have chosen to correspond with each other and have revealed personal information. So a first name with a surname initial does not guarantee anonimity.

Thirdly, it is no persons business how one contributes - cheque or all charities.
All charitities reveals that one is a provincial employee, again, nothing that should be put on the public forum.

Just my opinion

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 21:13 »
If folks have questions, send me a pm or an email with details that way I can respond directly but without worrying about privacy issues :)  Thanks!!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 17:10 »
Have the tax receipts for 2010 and 2011 been mailed out yet?  If they have I haven't received mine, so if they have maybe mine are stuck in the mail (due to the postal strike that happened a few weeks/months ago ?).

I'm glad you posted this Rose ... I'll email you out a copy of your receipt again!

I've been concerned about the receipts I sent out before/after the strike, I've been hearing horror stories about things that never arrived from friends of mine but so far I have only had one person who bought a book that never arrived.   We waited a more than reasonable amount of time just in case.  What I have been thinking about doing after the next maintenance closure is post a list of donors (first name & first initial of last name) for the 2010 and 2011 calendar years so folks can confirm what they should have received and from which year.  I will also include those who donate through the All Charities Campaign even though they (mostly) received their receipts from the Campaign not the Project.  I'm hoping that by doing this it will help folks confirm they have received all their receipts and then if there are problems/questions, folks can contact me directly to get replacements