Author Topic: American Goldfinch - California / Gordon & Goldie  (Read 9942 times)

Offline cadria

• Past Member
  • Chick
Re: American Goldfinch - California / Gordon & Goldie (2011)
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 12:46 »
How are 5 babies going to fit in that nest?? It should be interesting.

Ha, ha...good question.  Maybe the nest is flexible? ;)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 09:17 »
How are 5 babies going to fit in that nest?? It should be interesting.

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 09:00 »
I've been hooked since yesterday. Just the sound of their singing makes me smile.

Also, I saw the male feed the female yesterday afternoon and again, just now this morning. Then she left for a break and the five pale blue eggs are sitting waiting for mama to return.

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 22:33 »
Irenekl, thanks so much for the info about the different seed mixes -- I knew that they love niger seed but hadn't tried the ones you mentioned.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 22:32 »
That would be so awesome, Ali!  They are very beautiful birds.  I think I need to change the birdseed in my feeder to Niger!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 22:29 »
If anyone has a yard, and can provide a finch feeder with niger seed, you'll attract these beauties! 

They are beautiful!!!  And it's amazing how close they allow us humans to get!  Anyone been 1 foot away?  I have!

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 15:41 »
They seem to be at Winnipeg Beach all summer. It's about 60 miles north so maybe that is just more towards the edge of their favorite territory. Last year a couple of pairs had a late clutch or perhaps a second clutch of eggs. They are sort of like the hummingbirds, they hatch, grow, and fledge in seemingly no time.

My old great aunt always had a domestic canary when I was a kid and I love to hear the gold finches sing. It reminds me of my great aunt and when I was a kid.

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 14:41 »
Yeah July is the time of year the goldfinches lay their eggs, timing it with their food from the wild.

Offline cadria

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 13:52 »
...Kinder...funny that they don't stick around for the nyger seed!  July is usually when they nest, so if they disappear for a bit, that is probably why. :)
Or maybe they have found better "pickins" somewhere else, cadria? ;)

True enough! ;)  There are many other factors in play too.  Sometimes it takes a while to build up "clientele" :D  Other bird species may be visiting that might intimidate the goldfinches or you just may not have many of them in your area.  If you are in a newer development with not as many older trees, the population may be less.  Lots of factors to consider, but never give up! :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 12:54 »
Thanks for all of your bird info, irenkle. I am really such an amateur birder. ::)

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 11:59 »
The Finch Mix is nyjer mixed with ground up seed which is put in the finch feeder.  The other two I simply have in the tube feeders.  At the tube feeders I have chicadees, gold, purple & house finches, sparrows, etc.  Always some action. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 11:52 »
Never heard of Medium Chips, irenekl. I live close to Wild Birds Unlimited and that's where we get our Nyger seed. Will have to check out that seed too. Do you require a specialzed feeder for that seed, like one does for the Nyger seed? Thanks for your 2 cents! :-*

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 11:39 »
Just my two cents:  I have approximately 6 -12 goldfinches in my yard every single day.  I feed them Medium Chips, No Mess Blend and Nyjer Finch Mix (all bought at Wild Birds Unlimited). They seem to love all three of these seeds equally.

My family only wishes I would feed them as well as the birds ;)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 11:30 »
...Kinder...funny that they don't stick around for the nyger seed!  July is usually when they nest, so if they disappear for a bit, that is probably why. :)
Or maybe they have found better "pickins" somewhere else, cadria? ;)

Offline cadria

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 11:27 »
Ha ha!  Back in the day when I used to live at home, I fed the birds.  Mom lost her clothes line to a bird feeder! ;)  Anyways, the ground around the bird feeder was really spongy.  :D  Loads of interesting things growing in the yard! We had an oriole feeder too and were fortunate to have these shy birds visit our yard.

Kinder...funny that they don't stick around for the nyger seed!  July is usually when they nest, so if they disappear for a bit, that is probably why. :)