Author Topic: Migration: Raptors / Fall  (Read 11061 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Migration: Raptors / Fall 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 15:11 »
TPC, is this in the normal time range for the start of the raptor migration? I guess, because it's still hot and summery here, it seems too early for any of our "summer birds" to be leaving.

The hawk migration sites start observations August 1st but not all of them start until they actually see birds.  Waggoner's Gap usually starts on August 1st and they rarely don't have observations right from the start.  Last year their first sighting was an American Kestrel on August 1 and their first Broad-winged Hawk was recorded was on August 4th.

If anyone wants to check it out themselves: http://hawkcount.org/

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 12:26 »
You know, Eagle, before getting involved with the falcon forum, I was relatively uninformed about birds generally. It constantly amazes me how much there is to learn, and I do appreciate hearing comments like yours that open my eyes. Thanks!

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 12:11 »
You would be surprised at what starts heading south at this time of year.  Shorebirds, swallows are just a couple of the bird families that start their migration south.

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 11:33 »
TPC, is this in the normal time range for the start of the raptor migration? I guess, because it's still hot and summery here, it seems too early for any of our "summer birds" to be leaving.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Migration: Raptors / Fall
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:23 »
Nuts, the season really is ending ... first fall raptor migration sighting for 2011.  
Broad-winged Hawks are usually the first to fly from up this way and in a couple/few weeks we should get observations from Texas/Mexico in the 1/2 million range at the peak of their migration.

Waggoner's Gap / 40 km W of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Aug 01, 2011

Weather: Sunny and hot with haze.  Moderate NW breeze. An active thunderstorm chased us at 1345h.  

Raptor Observations:
  Red-tailed Hawk - 3
  Broad-winged Hawk - 2  

Non-raptor Observations:
  Monarch Butterflies - 1
  Hummingbirds - 1
  Chimney Swifts - 8

Observations were made between 0630h and 1345h.  All the raptors were observed between 0945h and 1038h.  There were 2 official counters, 9 additional observers and 1 visitor/guest.  (so lots of eyes)