Author Topic: Peregrine on Canadian Quarter  (Read 8064 times)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Peregrine on Canadian Quarter
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 20:39 »
Have to admit, it doesn't look much like a peregrine to me....!

Nor to me Pam..........its looks more like a stylized raven that you would see on a totem pole.

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 17:47 »
Have to admit, it doesn't look much like a peregrine to me....!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 17:00 »
Isn't this design also by Corrine Hunt, who did the Peregrine on the commemorative fifty cent (I think) coin, and also the designs of the Olympic 2010 medals?  If so it would reflect an aboriginal influence and perhaps even a Pacific coast version of the Peregrine.

Offline pmg

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 15:52 »
it's not a matter of liking the design but the peregrine was made the first choice, that is the only reason i posted it  :-[

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 06:52 »
You don't want to get me going about the design of the Peregrine quarter  >:(

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 22:54 »
I drove over to the Mint today after school and picked up some peregrine falcon coins for my Kinderchicklets. There were plain silver coins and coins with a little bit of colour on them. Each could be purchased at face value, $.25, but they would not sell me more than 8 of each kind today. They said I could come back tomorrow if I wanted to purchase more. There seemed to be quite a steady flow of people picking up any variety of the special edition wildlife coins. 8)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 22:22 »
I still think it looks like a parrot!

Offline pmg

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 22:20 »
if you would like to see what the coin looks like...check out the WFP link
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/mints-new-25-cent-coin-part-of-wildlife-series-141546333.html

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 21:30 »
So........!!!??  What does it look like?!  I have seen several commercials on tv about, "the fastest animal in the world who thrive in our cities" (aka, the peregrine falcon), what does this design look like?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 20:45 »
I might just pop over there tomorrow, bcbird. The Mint is very close to my school. Today, several of my Kinderchicklet's parents mentioned that they were going to take their children over to collect a few of these coins. 8)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 17:37 »
Winnipeggers who show up at the mint, at 520 Lagimodiere Blvd., today or Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. can bring coins to trade for the quarter at its face value.

Anyone planning to take advantage of this offer?

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 14:24 »
Local Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Mint's new 25-cent coin part of wildlife series
By: Staff Writer

Posted: 03/6/2012 1:00 AM | Comments: 2 (including replies) | Last Modified: 03/6/2012 1:00 PM | Updates
 0 1 0ShareNewPrint E–mail Report Error 
Enlarge Image

The new 25-cent coin, part of a wildlife series.
THE Royal Canadian Mint launches a special new coin this week.

The commemorative 25-cent coin has a peregrine falcon on it and is part of a series highlighting Canadian wildlife.

Winnipeggers who show up at the mint, at 520 Lagimodiere Blvd., today or Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. can bring coins to trade for the quarter at its face value.

They will also receive a free illustrated collector card.

Offline pmg

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 13:24 »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 19:38 »
:) :) While watching the noon news today, they announced that there would be changes in how they produce the loonie and toonie, however, most importantly, they said a new series of quarters would be produced this year focusing on wildlife. The third quarter will have a peregrine falcon on it.  ;D ;D I had to share with the forum but didn't know where! This is phantastic news. Maybe they will ask Dennis for his expert input. 8)

http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php/topic,2933.0.html

The Royal Canadian Mint is proud to present the 2011 Special Edition Uncirculated Set. Included in this 8 coin set are the colored and non-colored 25-cent Wood Bison, Orca Whale and Peregrine Falcon coins, one one-dollar coin commemorating the centennial of Parks Canada, and a two-dollar coin celebrating the Boreal Forest. These uncirculated coins have been carefully selected to provide you with the best examples of their kind.

Wood Bison — Release Date: Mid-February, 2012
    Orca — Release Date: Mid-March, 2012
    Peregrine Falcon – Release Date: Mid-April, 2012

http://www.mint.ca/store/coin/special-edition-uncirculated-set-2011-prod1190012;jsessionid=5CEECB1837DAEADD82A5F684B0361333.worker3

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 17:56 »
 :) :) While watching the noon news today, they announced that there would be changes in how they produce the loonie and toonie, however, most importantly, they said a new series of quarters would be produced this year focusing on wildlife. The third quarter will have a peregrine falcon on it.  ;D ;D I had to share with the forum but didn't know where! This is phantastic news. Maybe they will ask Dennis for his expert input. 8)