Author Topic: Radisson - 2012 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 165413 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2012 / September to December
« Reply #2331 on: October 25, 2012, 10:02 »
Smiley was on the nestbox yesterday (24th), nothing so far this morning (25th) ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2330 on: October 24, 2012, 16:23 »
they would freeze their tail feathers off here right now ;D

Offline Mother Hen

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #2329 on: October 23, 2012, 13:11 »
Saw again at noon a peregrin sitting on the  west side of the Rogers building....On the symbol

Offline Mother Hen

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #2328 on: October 23, 2012, 11:19 »
this pretty bird has a lot of gold on her/his chest......Saw it at the bus stop yesterday  @ 3....I guess it doesn't mind the temps around 5 degrees. I sure do enjoy seeing one so late in the year.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2327 on: October 20, 2012, 14:15 »
Maybe Smiley and Joli plan to set up housekeeping in the nestbox and stick around all winter :o

One can dream ::)

Might turn into a nightmare next spring if/when Princess and Ivy return ... would be nice though, I used to like finding Madame downtown for the Christmas bird count ...

Smiley visited the nestbox alone for a few minutes just after noon today - very windy on the box edge and he nearly got blown off - could be the nestbox isn't the best spot for napping today.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2326 on: October 19, 2012, 21:18 »
Maybe Smiley and Joli plan to set up housekeeping in the nestbox and stick around all winter :o

One can dream ::)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2325 on: October 19, 2012, 14:25 »
Thanks for keeping us updated. Great to know we still have some birds around/passing through.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2324 on: October 19, 2012, 12:17 »
This daily play by play is fascinating, TPC.
Though the long winter of no activity is close, these end of season appearances are the teasers of possibilities come spring. 

The kids were here again this morning - usually they come back later in the afternoon so I'll keep an eye open for them ...

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2323 on: October 19, 2012, 00:15 »
This daily play by play is fascinating, TPC.
Though the long winter of no activity is close, these end of season appearances are the teasers of possibilities come spring. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2322 on: October 18, 2012, 16:53 »
Smiley and Joli are still around - he arrived at the nestbox about 0600h and hung out on the nestledge then back to the nestbox and he was there until after 0800h.  They turned up together in the nestbox between 1530h and 1600h - they kakked and bowed to each other then he left and she hung out for a bit.  Haven't seen the brown female around today but that might be because Smiley and Joli were around.  Not sure if the rainy weather will encourage the birds to hang out or take off, will just have to wait and see I think.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2321 on: October 17, 2012, 17:36 »
Smiley's been hanging out on the edge of the enstbox for the last couple of hours - he was there just after sunrise this morning too.  No sign of our large brownish female, maybe because of the rain ?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2320 on: October 16, 2012, 20:20 »
About 1730h today, we had a new visitor, a large female with much more brown on her feathers than any of our other adult females in town.  Looks like the female Dennis and I spotted yesterday on the Rogers sign.  She only stayed a moment and absolutely did not cooperate with the camera!  The weather will be much cooler tomorrow (today it got to 17C in Winnipeg) so if we are lucky she will still be around and I'll get another chance.  Smiley is still around, he was at the nestbox for a few minutes this morning but nothing for the rest of the day.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2319 on: October 15, 2012, 16:35 »
1634h

A bird is now on the nestbox - doesn't like the camera moving around above her/him so I'm going to hope the bird cooperates and I will be able to see who it might be ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2318 on: October 15, 2012, 16:32 »
1630h

We haven't had Smiley napping on the box or Smiley & Joli waltzing in the nestbox but we do have a very large female hanging out on the Rogers sign right now and first thing this morning she spent a couple of minutes at the nestbox.  Though both Joli and Smiley are bigger than our Manitoba hatched birds at the moment, this bird just seems that much bigger.  Not enough time to identify who she was when she visited the nestbox but enough to say that it looked like she had a particularly dark band on her left leg, so maybe black or more probably black over red.  We say she looks large, for those who are downtown, she is larger than the opening/the loop in the 2nd "R" on the Rogers sign.  Both my impression from the camera and Dennis from street level was that she is very large - this is the same reaction we had every time we came across Alice here in town (she spent the summer of 2010 in Winnipeg).  With luck, the bird will come to the nestbox again today or hang around until tomorrow and I might get another oppotunity to read her band number - keep your fingers crossed.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2317 on: October 14, 2012, 18:43 »
Smiley and Joli were courting in the nestbox on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, nothing so far today but they often turn up in the afternoon.  Will be interesting to see what happens next year - if both Smiley and Cowboy come back, she could choose either of them since she hasn't successfully nested with anyone yet.

When these two stop visiting the nestbox that should be it I think for Winnipeg.  And if RCF hasn't had any visitations in the Brandon area then will begin the long wait for next spring ...  :'(

I haven't seen a peregrine in Brandon since Oct 4th when the red/black banded falcon visited.  It will be a long wait until  March/April when they return.  :(