Author Topic: Radisson - 2012 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 165957 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2012 / September to December
« Reply #2301 on: October 04, 2012, 22:42 »
WOW! It is amazing that these PF's are still hanging around, with such nasty weather today. But then, it sounds as if the Radisson nest box is a pretty cozy place for a variety of peregrine falcons. ;)

Keep in mind that its not that they can't stay here year-round, just that they don't, or rather the anatum subspecies migrates.  Madame was here for 15 years winter and summer so it can be done, just that they don't ... or at least none have since Madame ...

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2300 on: October 04, 2012, 22:25 »
Joli hung around on that 18 inches of wood from 0800 to 1620 - almost like it was her day job!!  ;D

Maybe she was planning how she would redecorate? ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2299 on: October 04, 2012, 22:14 »
WOW! It is amazing that these PF's are still hanging around, with such nasty weather today. But then, it sounds as if the Radisson nest box is a pretty cozy place for a variety of peregrine falcons. ;)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2298 on: October 04, 2012, 19:32 »
Interesting...Would Joli possibly hook up with Ivy in the (definitely unwanted) event that Princess doesn't return?  Or would Cowboy and Ivy duke it out over the girl?  Surely Ivy wouldn't give up his territory without a fight, with or without Princess :o

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2297 on: October 04, 2012, 16:59 »
Joli hung around on that 18 inches of wood from 0800 to 1620 - almost like it was her day job!!  ;D

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #2296 on: October 04, 2012, 15:54 »
Thanks for the news, TPC.  With the weather this morning, you would think they would be headed "south"!
  No kidding Jan, if I could I'd be heading to warmer weather.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2295 on: October 04, 2012, 14:07 »
1400h

Black over red bird just showed me her (yes it is a female) band and it is Joli so the male this morning who didn't enter the box the way Ivy usually does could very likely have been Cowboy, he like Ivy has his black band on his right leg and a silver band on the left.

If Princess doesn't return next year (knock on wood she does), Cowboy and Joli could be the next pair at the Radisson ... T-Rex, Trey and Ivy all moved to the Radisson after a couple of years in town ...

Still have to see if I can figure out who the black over green might be - think I'll go back and check out the recording again just to confirm the colours I thought I saw early this morning ... haven't seen Princess for a long time, might be Sandy, tis the time when she turns up and she is black over green ...

Fun in the snow  ;) ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2294 on: October 04, 2012, 13:27 »
at about 0730h there was a bird in the nestbox and in the gloom it looked like it had a black over green band on its left leg. 

at about 0800h there were two birds in the box yakking at each other in the nestbox - one of the birds was in the far corner so I could only see one leg and it looked like Ivy because of the silver band on the bird's left leg.  The other bird I couldn't get a look at it's legs when it was in the box, but that bird has been sitting on the nestbox edge ever since and the band on its leg and just a few minutes ago I saw a black over red band on its left leg and a pink anodized band on its right leg.

the wind is blow the camera a bit but if I'm lucky I might get a look at all or part of the band number at some point ... bird is napping at the moment but essentially hasn't moved since about 0830h this morning.  Not that there really is anywhere better to hang out, at least he/she isn't getting wet, just blown about a bit ...

Offline Jan

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #2293 on: October 04, 2012, 11:51 »
Thanks for the news, TPC.  With the weather this morning, you would think they would be headed "south"!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2292 on: October 04, 2012, 11:36 »
1120h
Rain and snow falling, gusting winds, very messy.  Nasty day except for the peregrine sitting on the edge of the nestbox trying to stay out of the weather (emphasis on the trying part)

Only part of the story, two birds in the nestbox just before 0800h this morning - and it doesn't look like Princess ... (going back to the recording)

Peregrine perched on the nestbox right now is the new bird ... have the cam focused on her (I think its a her) feet at the moment - she's pretty sheltered from the rain/snow but the wind is buffetting her a bit.  She's sitting with one foot tucked up so a weird gust of wind and she might just have to show me her band - pretty sure its a black/green from the first look I had at her in the gloom this morning about 0730h ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2291 on: October 04, 2012, 11:26 »
1120h
Rain and snow falling, gusting winds, very messy.  Nasty day except for the peregrine sitting on the edge of the nestbox trying to stay out of the weather (emphasis on the trying part)

Only part of the story, two birds in the nestbox just before 0800h this morning - and it doesn't look like Princess ... (going back to the recording)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2290 on: October 04, 2012, 11:21 »
1120h

Offline Mother Hen

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #2289 on: October 04, 2012, 08:21 »
I"M BACK......Saw one on the letters yesterday and thought for sure I must be seeing things being Oct and that cold wind......I missed all the fun this summer

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2288 on: October 03, 2012, 12:32 »
Ivy turned up at the nestbox for about 1/2 hour this morning just before lunch.  Haven't seen a second adult at the Radisson since September 21st ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2287 on: September 30, 2012, 15:49 »
1549h

Can't be sure of course, but it looks like Ivy's gone off to the east-side Hydro Building sign.