Author Topic: Radisson - 2012 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 165930 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2012 / September to December
« Reply #2286 on: September 30, 2012, 15:43 »
It's Ivy on the east-side sign ...  after his "slip" earlier, he came back to his "D" but it was only just a few minutes ago that he showed me his band and then he took off.  Trey would have been much more accomodating ...  ;)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2285 on: September 30, 2012, 14:07 »
Okay, just went to check the cams and guess what, found a bird on the east-side sign - looks like a black band on the right leg, then he/she shook and slid off the letter and zooped across to Ivy's Perch ... so I'm thinking it's Ivy ...  hopefully he'll come back to within range of one of the cameras so I can get a closer look at him (her) ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2284 on: September 30, 2012, 13:23 »
I have had a couple of reports of a juvie in the downtown area hanging out on some window ledges on lower buildings near Portage & Main.  I'm trying to identify who it is based on the plumage patterns since the bird's bands aren't visible - at the moment however I'm thinking its Jubilee.  If I'm right, I'm pretty sure that Fleet and Hart are already out of the City.  McDermot came back to the nestsite much longer than his male siblings and he's still around Winnipeg, which makes me think that he's just not ready to go yet and usually our chicks are long gone by the end of September - particularly since the adults are vanishing now ... haven't seen Princess in awhile, Ivy a bit more recently but even him I haven't seen on either side of the Radisson for awhile ...

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2283 on: September 29, 2012, 22:37 »
Any news or sightings of the others? 
Hope McDermot, with all of his flirtin', remembers that he needs to start putting those wings in actions to make that trip to warmer climates...
Until that day, when we will see him again! 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2282 on: September 29, 2012, 19:43 »
Speaking of extra bling..I have always wondered if a transmitter on a female might result in difficulties with spring activities of the carnal type. I imagined it might be off-putting to be stabbed with an antenna as you dive in for some fun.
LOL! Very good question, indeed, bcf! ;)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2281 on: September 29, 2012, 12:01 »
Good question bcf! :o

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2280 on: September 29, 2012, 08:15 »
Perhaps the girls have noticed his extra bling, figured he's extra special, and so may be allowed to hang out. 

Speaking of extra bling..I have always wondered if a transmitter on a female might result in difficulties with spring activities of the carnal type. I imagined it might be off-putting to be stabbed with an antenna as you dive in for some fun.

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2279 on: September 28, 2012, 08:56 »
Great to know he's still hanging around! I hope the transmitter is back in action long enough to let us know where he heads when he leaves here.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2278 on: September 27, 2012, 21:53 »
Perhaps the girls have noticed his extra bling, figured he's extra special, and so may be allowed to hang out. 

Offline Jan

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #2277 on: September 27, 2012, 19:26 »
Great news about McDermot! He certainly is a flirt.... lol

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2276 on: September 27, 2012, 10:32 »
McDermot's transmitter burped - we got a bit of information from last week and he's hanging out with the West Winnipeg girls - what a flirt!!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2275 on: September 21, 2012, 14:42 »
That was a great article, RCF.  The facial features recognition study is especially fascinating!

I happen to love abstract mathematical rules, and am very impressed with the abilities the pidgeons demonstrated.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2274 on: September 20, 2012, 18:44 »
I am surprised that they go in and out, they don't seem that smart but I guess they go to where the food is. I didn't know about the pigeons near Pan am or their history before this, I just happened on them this summer.

Pigeons are smarter than we think they are!

Researchers have discovered pigeons are whizzes at math. In fact, they now share the spotlight with rhesus monkeys as the only non-human species studied to date that can learn abstract mathematical rules

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/02/03/pigeons-get-a-little-respect.aspx
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 18:47 by RCF »

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2273 on: September 20, 2012, 18:22 »
I am surprised that they go in and out, they don't seem that smart but I guess they go to where the food is. I didn't know about the pigeons near Pan am or their history before this, I just happened on them this summer.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2272 on: September 20, 2012, 06:12 »
I hadn't seen a pigeon house for a long time (there was one on our street when I was a kid) and I recently saw two houses with them close to Pan Am pool. I was walking up the lane towards my car and noticed them across the lane from each other, so I guess there are people who breed fancy pigeons around the city. Does anyone know if they let them out to fly around? These ones that I saw where closed into their houses.

Yes, some do let them fly around - that one at the Pan Am has been there since I was a kid (many many moons ago and we'll leave it at that) and I think those birds (or rather their ancestors) did use to fly around and land on the roof of "their" house, but the "moons" were many and I may not be remembering quite correctly ...  ;)

I concur about these pigeons (their ancestors). They have been there for eons. They are fascinating to watch as they fly in circles and return to their to their coop.