Author Topic: Radisson - 2012 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 163067 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2012 / September to December
« Reply #2346 on: December 30, 2012, 18:27 »
I'm always amazed on how these wild raptors just seem to know when, and where to go. 
Wildlife is a mystery and always will be....
Too bad about Lilith, very sad as we want all of them to survive and succeed. 
For now, we wait....

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #2345 on: December 30, 2012, 10:36 »
Such sadness about Lillith. :'(

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2344 on: December 29, 2012, 22:07 »
So sorry to hear about Lilith :'(

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2343 on: December 29, 2012, 05:32 »
Thank you so much for this update, TPC  :( :'( So very unhappy to hear of Lilith's death. Pray for the survival of all fledglings and our Manitoba peregrines. Look forward to the return of all.  :-*

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #2342 on: December 28, 2012, 15:18 »
Update on the West Winnipeg girls & McDermot ... as of December 19th.

The West Winnipeg girls decided not to migrate far (relatively speaking) this year.  Lilith and Juliet were in Arkansas and Iowa/Illinois back at the end of  October and that is as far as they got.  McDermot had made it to Little Rock, Arkansas before both the girls and was still in the area in October.  I've included some distances here - they are all very very approximate since I don't know exactly where the birds are, I am just using a general area, I could be out by a couple of hundred kms in any direction.  The distances are just to give you a general idea of how far, or not far in this year's case, our birds have gone this winter! 

Lilith however died on November 19th near the wetland where she had been overwintering.  Looks like natural causes according to the local wildlife officials who went to track her down.  The wetland is isolated and behind a bunch of locked gates so a collision with another bird perhaps or with a tree near the wetland (she was found near the base of a cottonwood).  Unlikely it was due to starvation, she was parked at a wetland with prey available, so like the rest of our 2012 deaths, a natural (non-human-related) death.  Too bad, she was a neat bird, lots 'o spunk! 

Juliet is fine however, still near Iowa/Ilinois border and it will be interested to watch her northward progression - I don't know her exact location but she's approximately 1000km away from Winnipeg (Lilith was about 700km further south when she died).  It will be interesting to see when she starts north (if she goes north of course) and where she ends up - a 2011 peregrine with a transmitter spend the summer in the Minot area with a couple of day trips around and about.  Who knows where Juliet may decide to hang out ...

McDermot's transmitter has been providing data, not sure how regularly but we do know that after making it to Little Rock in October, he decided to backtrack and he is currently hanging out in the Memphis, Tennessee area.  That puts him about 600km south of Juliet and about 300km from where Lilith died.  He looks to be doing well though.

The other hacked birds with transmitters are all further south - Texas, Louisiana and Mexico.  Looks like the wild-hatched chicks were rebels this year, which may be a good thing or not, we will just have to wait and see!

Offline transplanted maple

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #2341 on: November 05, 2012, 12:53 »
Get to here that McDermot is going in the right direction and ww girls.. Miss the birds,  watched Snow in Orange, egg to fledge.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2340 on: November 02, 2012, 20:06 »
Yes! Great to hear news of McDermot and one of the WW girls! Thanks, TPC! :D Hope they safely avoided Hurricane Sandy.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 20:08 by Kinderchick »

Offline noellat

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #2339 on: November 01, 2012, 20:26 »
I love to hear about McDermot's travels.  Ever since TPC put him back in the nest wearing his comical transmitter he has won me over.  Good luck.

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #2338 on: October 31, 2012, 20:40 »
Great to hear that McDermot is doing what he should be doing.   :D   I really miss all our lovely friends.   :'(

Offline Jan

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #2337 on: October 31, 2012, 11:44 »
I really enjoy your up-dates as to where the Peregrines are, TPC.  Thanks!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2336 on: October 30, 2012, 00:42 »
Haven't seen a bird downtown on either of the cams for a couple of days - thought it might have been the poor weather but still no sign of anyone today either.  Could be that Smiley has finally decided to follow the rest of the gang south.

Speaking of the gang, McDermot's transmitter "burped" again and he is in Arkansas right now ... and one of the West Winnipeg girls is just over 100km away from him.  Kinda wild considering the girls left the province much earlier than him.  With Sandy hammering the eastern US, it will be interesting to see if he hangs tight or moves quickly further south and out of the way of the rain and wind.

Offline Linder

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2335 on: October 28, 2012, 21:10 »
Logged on hoping to hear if we still have birds in the Radisson area. I was thinking when I last checked that once we got some more snowfall and lower temps that whoever was here would vacate the area. Definitely warmer in the southern regions that they travel to than here. If they have gone, safe journey Smiley and we'll anxiously wait to see if you arrive here next Spring.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2334 on: October 25, 2012, 20:27 »
well you will get the bands TPC.

Can,t believe he is still there

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2333 on: October 25, 2012, 11:03 »
It has been way too long since I tried to catch band numbers with the east-side spy cam.  It's Smiley on the sign and I missed two perfect opportunities to get absolutely pristine screen captures of his band - aarrgghhh

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2332 on: October 25, 2012, 10:21 »
Little bird sitting on Trey's "R" on the east-side Radisson sign ... maybe s/he'll show me some leg  ;)