Author Topic: Logan - 2012 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur  (Read 32673 times)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Logan - 2012 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2012, 07:55 »
As pretty as she is (and she is) Cowboy is the amazing bird in town right now - pretty sure he broke a couple laws of physics today  :o going after ravens nesting where he and Joli were canoodling.  I think he doesn't like crows, he was doing some dangerous attack runs on crows at another nearby location on Friday.  If there are big black birds around, he's the sherriff and its the wild-west that's for sure!  Cowboy is the perfect name for him!!  But seriously, he's a seriously scary attack artist, I'm just hoping he doesn't decide on a flat, wide-open roof to nest on - I haven't been hit in a few years but he could/would I think do it with a fair bit of glee.  Actually, watching him attack the ravens today, getting hit by him might be a badge of honour I would gladly wear.  Think that's the only way I'm going to get anywhere near him - or rather him near me!!

Wasn't his sibling Keener-Screech a bit of an attack artist too?  Maybe it runs in the family.  ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2012, 23:34 »
As pretty as she is (and she is) Cowboy is the amazing bird in town right now - pretty sure he broke a couple laws of physics today  :o going after ravens nesting where he and Joli were canoodling.  I think he doesn't like crows, he was doing some dangerous attack runs on crows at another nearby location on Friday.  If there are big black birds around, he's the sherriff and its the wild-west that's for sure!  Cowboy is the perfect name for him!!  But seriously, he's a seriously scary attack artist, I'm just hoping he doesn't decide on a flat, wide-open roof to nest on - I haven't been hit in a few years but he could/would I think do it with a fair bit of glee.  Actually, watching him attack the ravens today, getting hit by him might be a badge of honour I would gladly wear.  Think that's the only way I'm going to get anywhere near him - or rather him near me!!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2012, 22:22 »
Wonderful news about Cowboy and his new girl Joli !! :)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2012, 22:07 »
She is beautiful!  Good eyes Cowboy!  Whistle whistle....good lookin' couple of birds!  Make some young fluffy cuteness!  GO!!!   ;D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 22:32 by allikat »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2012, 21:36 »
That's VERY exciting news! :D So Sandy is a full sibling and Holly from Brandon and Kate from last year are half siblings. All in the family! ;)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2012, 19:13 »
I'm calling her Joli for short...
Should get a look at her soon at your in-box this evening...anyone wishing to be added to the Peregrine Phanatic e-mail list send me an e-mail and you can be added.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2012, 18:42 »
And sorry  :o, yes, Dennis has photos of these two!!!

(sorry Dennis!)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2012, 18:39 »
Jolicoeur's family tree

hatched from the First National Bank (now Bank of the West) in Fargo, North Dakota in 2010.

parents are Dakota Ace (1997 Sioux Falls SD) and Miracle (2004 Sherco Plant MN)
Dakota Ace was a captive-bred bird released and Frieda was a wild-hatched female.  Dakota Ace is still the resident male in Fargo.

Jolicoeur's full-siblings (known to have survived/nested) include: Audrey Jean (Minnesota 2010), Sandy (Radisson Interloper 2009-2011, maybe 2012).

Jolicoeur's half-siblings (known to have survived/nested) include: Holly (Brandon 2004-08), Copper (Minnesota 2005-09), Lewis (Minnesota 2005 & 2010), Dakotah (Minnesota, 2005-09), Bear (Grand Forks 2007-08), Roosevelt (Grand Forks 2009-11) and Kate (HSC 2011).

She has not had any previous mates nor any nestings, successful or otherwise.

Pronunciation:  (phonetically) Jolie-CUR  - it's French so add an accent folks
Translation:  Pretty Heart

How did she get her name?  I belive she was named after a very popular president of Concordia College in Moorhead Minnesota.  Her name was Dr Pamela Jolicoeur and she died at age 65 after a stroke in June of 2010 - right before the chicks were banded I believe.  I've emailed my contact to see if she had a closer connection to the peregrine project in Fargo or if there was a (more) specific reason the chick was named after her.  I think its a great name, it will be nice to see if she lives up to (the translation) of her name..

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2012, 18:16 »
Cowboy's family tree

hatched at the McKenzie Seeds Building in Brandon in 2000

parents are Mufasa (released in Brandon 1991) and Phoebe (hatched at the Radisson in 1991)
Mufasa was a captive-bred bird from the CWS facility in Alberta, Phoebe is the offspring of Pop & Maud and a sister of T-Rex, aunt of Trey.

Cowboy's siblings (known to have survived/nested) include: Rebel (Saskatoon 1996-98), Ja (Winnipeg 1997), Zeus (Brandon 2002, 2004-06, 2008-09, 2011), Simba (Radisson 1998-99), Tramp (Regina 1999), Keener-Screech (Brandon 2007) and Lady (Moose Jaw 1999)

Jolicoeur will be his second mate so far as we know - he's old enough, he could have had more. 
First mate was Katherine/Kate (see 2011 thread for her family tree).
Likewise, we don't know if he has successfully raised young yet (do have ha request in to some folks though, just in case).

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2012, 18:13 »
Friday before Earth Day and Earth Day were spent trying to track down Birdnut's "young couple".  We found them quickly on Friday but they hung around for only a few minutes before they were off and we don't know where.  But Dennis did get photos and we were pretty sure about the band numbers and their identities then, but since it had been so quick and the lighting not optimal for Wowzer, we thought we would try again on Sunday (Earth Day - nicer weather forecast and quieter around HSC.  At first, couldn't find anything anywhere, it was so depressing!!! Then we found the WW birds (see the WW thread), but still not so much as a peak at the HSC birds.  Did get to check out the site again (we did the same thing last year) to check out possible locations for nestboxes and still no birds.  Then we were off to the Radisson to clean camera lens (see the Radisson thread) and back past the HSC locations and still no birds.  We were very depressed.  Dennis had wonderful photos of Jules and Beau (relatively calm) and Ivy and Princess (madder than wet hens) but a big hole where the HSC birds were suppose to be.  Then (you knew this was coming) we caught sight of them at a distance hunting lazily on the wing so we basically tracked them as they flew until they decided, finally, to land and eat their lunch - well, her lunch, he was supervising.  Then off they went again and they turned up at one of "their spots" and canoodling commenced. And it was in the afterglow that Dennis and Wowzer were able to get more band photos that helped to confirm their identifications.

Our 2012 HSC lovebirds are Cowboy and Jolicoeur

They are doing all the right things, but no idea if they will nest however, she's not yet 2 years old.  But that is old enough - Princess, Alley, Radisson, Terminator and Hurricane were all 2 the first time they nested - Holly in Brandon was 1.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2012, 10:00 »
The birds must be reading the forum...after complaining yesterday that they haven't been here for weeks...guess who's here this morning???

Two birds were canoodling on the smoke stack antenna of the HSC power house.  The male took off when he was done, the female is still sitting there. :) :) :)

Now this is interesting - it won't be the Radisson pair as canoodling time is over for them.  Might, just might be the West Winnipeg pair because they were still canoodling the day before yesterday and they do like to hunt north of there OR it could be someone else entirely - either arriving late or have just found each other ...

Birdnut, please do let us know when and where you spot the birds - that antennae is too high for us to get band numbers so unless they help us out we may only be able to identify who they aren't by a process of eliminiation!

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2012, 08:37 »
The birds must be reading the forum...after complaining yesterday that they haven't been here for weeks...guess who's here this morning???

Two birds were canoodling on the smoke stack antenna of the HSC power house.  The male took off when he was done, the female is still sitting there. :) :) :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2012, 12:58 »
No birdies seen at HSC/CSC for a couple of weeks now.   :'(

Tracy, The 4 returnees seem not to like to hang out here this year, so would it be a good guess that the birds seen at HSC last year all season were probably Kate and Cowboy? 

Once Cowboy and Kate decided not to renest, they would have free to move more freely around town and we know they were around until later in the summer because of the date of Kate's death.  As for it only being Cowboy or Kate at HSC, can't say that for sure, it could also have been Radisson birds though I suspect that it was mostly Cowboy and/or Kate simply because the Radisson birds are pretty consistently in the area around the nestbox when they have chicks.

After he was evicted from West Winnipeg we spotted Smiley but that was before incubation began at the Radisson.  The lure of sitting in the sun on that sign (and the fly-by takeout) is undeniable for peregrines.  Once there are nests however, it appears everyone keeps a polite distance from each other and each other's nests - probably why you haven't seen anyone hanging around Birdnut.  Jules isn't incubating yet, but HSC is probably not a polite distance from the Radisson now that Princess is on eggs.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 12:12 »
No birdies seen at HSC/CSC for a couple of weeks now.   :'(

Tracy, The 4 returnees seem not to like to hang out here this year, so would it be a good guess that the birds seen at HSC last year all season were probably Kate and Cowboy? 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 21:15 »
I thought someone had nested at one of the sites,. YOu must have mentioned that a ways back

thank-you