Author Topic: Logan - 2012 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur  (Read 32647 times)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Logan - 2012 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2012, 10:34 »
I noticed a few birdie parts on the ground under there last year.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2012, 09:41 »
  Look out down below...this is the spot where the smokers go for their smoke because there is an hot air vent on that south facing wall.

Maybe they will get the hint to stop......................well maybe in that location anyway.  :D

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2012, 09:38 »
Some birdie Jodi ?? was sitting on the "r" in research last night at 5:00ish.  The letter is right at the edge of the building.  Last year Cowboy liked sitting on the letters more in the middle of the name.  Or the cover on the letter "J' in John was broken last October and has not been repaired, so maybe they don't like the brightness.

This morning a very white breasted bird is sitting on the rooftop above the letters, basking in the sun.

Lots and lots of whitewash spots on the ground below.  Their location is also different then last year's art work.  Last year they were on the ground in front of the east facing wall, this year they are around the corner, on the south facing wall and farther out.  From Dennis's picture, that red rail projects out onto the sidewalk much farther than the letters do.  Look out down below...this is the spot where the smokers go for their smoke because there is an hot air vent on that south facing wall.

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2012, 17:44 »
She is a very striking girl!

Great photos Dennis.

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2012, 11:34 »
Nice photos Dennis.  Joli is a very pretty girl (as far as falcon's go) :D

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2012, 11:19 »
Two birds are soaring over Williams Ave - I have a great view of the back of Children's Hospital from my 4th floor.  Came from the west and circled around over the work site of the new Women's and went back west again.

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2012, 10:24 »
is west winnipeg incubating too?

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2012, 10:19 »
Some birdie was hovering over the Canadian Blood Services building on William Ave this morning around 9:15. 

Most likely Cowboy or Joli as everyone else is incubating ...

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2012, 10:09 »
Some birdie was hovering over the Canadian Blood Services building on William Ave this morning around 9:15. 

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2012, 09:26 »
A new gallery has been started for Cowboy & Joli
http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/hsc_2012

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2012, 20:48 »
I could take a pair or two to Steinbach when we visit there in the fall. ;D

Its a nice offer Bev, however Steinbach is missing a couple of key features for a nest site I'm afraid.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2012, 20:39 »
I could take a pair or two to Steinbach when we visit there in the fall. ;D

good news here.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2012, 13:23 »
I seem to recall that the HSC is considered the Radisson territory, and even if it is only the fringe of the Radisson territory, isn't it also close to the West Winnipeg territory?

It is both Dupre.  HSC site is sort of the tip of a triangle with WW and Radisson being on the bottom.  We are hoping to install two, perhaps three new nestboxes in new and former territories and they are all further away from each other.  If Cowboy and Joli return next year, perhaps they would pick one of these new territories and then they don't have to be stressed.  Princess and Ivy aren't stressed which is good, Cowboy and Joli are pretty quiet like Cowboy and Kate were last year so perhaps the extra year will give them the confidence to you raise young with less stress.  We'll just have to see what 2012 holds for these two ...

Do you think that the close quarter territories are a sign of the improving population of the peregrines? That there are more falcons looking for territory? Yay, that would mean that all of the recovery projects' hard work is now paying off.

Close quarters is just close quarters and not a good thing because the habitat may or may not support more pairs. Looking at all the possible sites we've scoped out we think that 5 pairs is a max for the city based on land base.  Four of those five also have sufficient food supplies so shouldn't be a problem.  The fifth site is a new potential site and it looks good but we don't know it as well as the other four.  If we had two pairs in Brandon, five in Winnipeg, perhaps one or three in a couple of other spots in southern Manitoba and I would be a very happy camper.  Maybe by the project's 40th anniversary (2021).  ;)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2012, 13:00 »
Great news, three pairs in town.

I seem to recall that the HSC is considered the Radisson territory, and even if it is only the fringe of the Radisson territory, isn't it also close to the West Winnipeg territory?

Do you think that the close quarter territories are a sign of the improving population of the peregrines? That there are more falcons looking for territory? Yay, that would mean that all of the recovery projects' hard work is now paying off.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2012, 11:11 »
Wasn't his sibling Keener-Screech a bit of an attack artist too?  Maybe it runs in the family.  ;D

Your memory is good RCF - yup, Keener-Screech and Cowboy are more along the lines of Trey, T-Rex and Mufasa all of whom had very good talon targetting skills.  And that's actually how Keener-Screech got his hyphenate name.  He'd been named "Keener "when he was a baby but I didn't have a record of his name so when he turned up during one of Zeus' sabbaticals, and started threatening Dan's very existence (Dan goes up the ladder for the chicks) screaming the whole time (the bird nor Dan  ;)), he got the name "Screech".  Seemed wrong not to acknowledge both his names as they were both appropriate for different times in his life.