Author Topic: Logan - 2012 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur  (Read 32660 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Logan - 2012 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2012, 11:18 »
I hope the ducklings and their parents will be o.k.  I don't wish their death, as food or otherwise.  I don't know who the someone from Fort Whyte is who is supposed to come by, but I hope their intentions are good.

If its Fort Whyte, their intentions are very good and everyone will be very happy at FW or if they decide to release them elsewhere, they will choose a good location for the family.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2012, 10:42 »
I hope the ducklings and their parents will be o.k.  I don't wish their death, as food or otherwise.  I don't know who the someone from Fort Whyte is who is supposed to come by, but I hope their intentions are good.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2012, 21:20 »
Thank goodness for that!  But what the parents?!?  I'll bet they'd be a nice tasty break from Pigeon :P

So close to the buildings and on the ground, unlikely the peregrines will take the risk of injuring themselves trying to hunt down low.  And if the duck is a mallard, that is really too large for most peregrines, particularly not when there are so many easier things to hunt.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2012, 20:55 »
Thank goodness for that!  But what the parents?!?  I'll bet they'd be a nice tasty break from Pigeon :P

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2012, 18:24 »
I was at HSC today but didn't see or hear any falcons. . . having said that, I didn't put forth much of an effort to look for them.

I did managed to see a momma duck and 14 newly hatched ducklings. There is a small garden area surrounded by buildings - it's behind the Rehab hospital (not sure what other buildings. I was talking to the staff who said that she must have made a nest in the greenery. They told me that someone from Ft. Whyte will be coming around tomorrow to pick them up (unless Cowboy & Joli are reading the forum and get to them first :-X)

Ducklings are awfully small and probably not worth the effort ...

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2012, 16:50 »
I was at HSC today but didn't see or hear any falcons. . . having said that, I didn't put forth much of an effort to look for them.

I did managed to see a momma duck and 14 newly hatched ducklings. There is a small garden area surrounded by buildings - it's behind the Rehab hospital (not sure what other buildings. I was talking to the staff who said that she must have made a nest in the greenery. They told me that someone from Ft. Whyte will be coming around tomorrow to pick them up (unless Cowboy & Joli are reading the forum and get to them first :-X)

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2012, 14:02 »
I swear the birds are reading the forum.... some birdie sitting up on the Buhler building when I came back from lunch.  Just making sure the crow doesn't eat all of their stash.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2012, 10:06 »
No falcons about for a couple of days now, but yesterday at noon a crow was up on the Buhler building eat - cleaning up after Joli?

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2012, 22:13 »
I thought you were going to say, "when Cowboy was done he had a smoke and went to sleep"...
LOL, bcf! ;)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2012, 11:43 »
I thought you were going to say, "when Cowboy was done he had a smoke and went to sleep". I didn't sleep last night so lots of weird humor going on in my head.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2012, 09:47 »
Great report Birdnut!!

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2012, 09:44 »
The honeymoom continues....

Stood watching the birds for about 45 minutes at supper time last night.

I came out of my building a 1/2 block away and heard the two of them right away.
I didn't see them right away, but feathers were slowly drifting down onto McDermot Ave.  Joli was on the Buhler building eating supper.  Cowboy  showed up a few minutes later and spent sometime on the south facing letters. Jodi finished supper and then moved to the ledge right at the edge of the top of the building.  They were carrying on quite the loud conversation.  Then Cowboy flew up to where she was sitting and canoodling happened.   When Cowboy was done, he flew onto the concretete pad just under the red rails and disappeared.  Joli joined him there for about 5 minutes, yelling at each other the whole time.  Joli left first and did a few circles around all the buildings and then Cowboy joined her and I lost them as they flew north between buildings.  I did hear them again, but didn't see them.  It sounded like they were up on the Buhler building again.

Seeing them both together, you can really tell them apart by size and colour.  Joli is bigger and much lighter colour than Cowboy.  Cowboy is by far the noisier one of the two.

Got pictures with my cell phone, but the very grainy.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2012, 13:48 »
Yep...what TPC said   :-[

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2012, 11:30 »
They do like the building to eat at as by the evidence found on the ground below the signs.
Dennis, did you see the shore bird? any idea what it is/was?

The "shorebird" was a killdeer ...

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2012, 11:24 »
They do like the building to eat at as by the evidence found on the ground below the signs.
Dennis, did you see the shore bird? any idea what it is/was?

Some birdie sitting out in the rain on the HSC smoke stack antenna this AM.  Seem to like that perch for the mornings.  I am guessing it is Cowboy by the size.