Author Topic: Logan - 2012 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur  (Read 32643 times)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
Re: Logan - 2012 / Cowboy & Jolicoeur
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2012, 20:19 »
Sounds like you are keeping it a secret to me... ::) :-X

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2012, 10:40 »
I'm hoping that Cowboy and Joli return next year, she'll definitely be old enough to nest and as this is his second year coming back here, there's a good chance he'll return again.   This is of course, so long as they both survive the winter.  We do have plans to install at least one new nestbox in town so maybe these two will choose that site instead and then they don't have to be secretive.

And no, I'm not keeping this "new" site a secret or a mystery, just not giving out details at the moment since we don't have all the details worked out and given problems we've had in the past with new sites, I'm not going to let the cat out the bag until I'm actually sure I've got a cat in there  ;)

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2012, 10:26 »
I looked twice a day every day this week for these two and not a peek. Maybe they have left the area or maybe I'm just looking at the wrong time of day with the decrease in early sunlight. Has anyone else seen them?

I have seen one or both birds later in the evening - again last night at 5:30 - looked like Cowboy sitting on the east facing Buhler letters. 

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2012, 15:56 »
On the way out to Gimli on Sunday Aug 19th. spotted both Cowboy & Joli perched close to each other...this was 4 flaps and a glide from HSC, so they are still around.
They did have company over head...one of the Radisson kids perhaps made 3 circles and was calling ( you my mama ) the juvenile then headed North.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2012, 21:59 »
I looked twice a day every day this week for these two and not a peek. Maybe they have left the area or maybe I'm just looking at the wrong time of day with the decrease in early sunlight. Has anyone else seen them?

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2012, 19:17 »
Found this article when I was doing some reading up on the Mississauga peregrines ...

http://www.mississauga.com/article/1357037--peregrine-falcons-keeping-a-low-profile

Glad to hear there are other secretive pairs out there!!!

From BCAW
Here is more information on these secretive peregrines in Mississauga. the resident female was injured by another female peregrine and is in rehab.

Janet the last surviving juvie made a few big flights today, keeping her altitude and going long distance both. She made it back to the nest building eventually.

http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?p=192694#p192694

It has been both tragic and fascinating to see this story unfold. It has become quite obvious now as we review all of our fledge watch notes and connect the dots as they say, that this rough adult banded female has been responsible for the premature fledgling and death of the other two much younger siblings produced at this nest site - (named Jennifer & Skyreach), in addition to the injury of the resident adult female mother as they battled for the territory.
http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?p=198899#p198899

« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 21:08 by RCF »

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2012, 17:46 »
Found this article when I was doing some reading up on the Mississauga peregrines ...

http://www.mississauga.com/article/1357037--peregrine-falcons-keeping-a-low-profile

Neat story! Thanks.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2012, 13:57 »
Interesting article about the secretive falcons.
I also liked the description of the banding day for a different nest.

"While the peregrine parents were distracted, the chicks were removed from the nest, taken on an elevator ride down to the lobby of the office building, and banded. They were then returned to the nest."

Pity the person on distraction duty!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2012, 10:12 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2012, 21:20 »
During our travels today, we came across one bird on the Buhler sign in the rain this morning and my size it looked like Joli.  We cambe back later and both Joli and Cowboy were on the sign - we got a peak at Cowboy's band and saw Joli's purple FWS band (we use silver) but not her coloured band but it couldn't have been anyone else.  We also buzzed by all the spots this pair likes and couldn't see any sign of a late nest, so it looks like Cowboy isn't a daddy yet but not his fault, Joli is a 2010 hatch, so still a bit young. 

If they both come back this next year, she will definitely be a good age for a first nest.  And we do have plans for a couple new nestboxes around town for next year so perhaps they will choose a box even though it won't be at HSC.  If they do stick with HSC we'll see what we can do - there are a couple of places that could work in a pinch.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2012, 15:55 »
I was thinking about these two when I drove past the virology lab on Arlington yesterday. Funny how they haven't been hanging around there. I look every time I drive by expecting on to be on the front edge of the building. I haven't had the joy of seeing these two around the HSC for a couple of weeks either. Maybe after vacation I'll go up to my sister's office and have a gander. I hope they'll still be around.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2012, 10:45 »
Over the last week I have spotted both birds around HSC, but not at the same time.
However last night at 5:00 both birds were sitting on the east facing letters of the Buhler Centre. When you see them both together, you can really see the size difference between them.  Also Cowboy's white breast is very visible from the ground.

>>>>>I guess they didn't nest this year, though. Am I right?

I am guessing not - I am only seeing one bird at a time or when I do see two, their colouring is definitely not a young one's.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2012, 10:09 »
Nice to hear you're still spotting these birds, birdnut. I guess they didn't nest this year, though. Am I right? :-\

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2012, 09:19 »
One birdie(I guessing Joli)  likes to sit on the antenna of the HSC smokestack in the mornings until the sun comes around.  Cowboy can be spotted regularly in the evening on the Buhler letters when the letters are not in the sun.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2012, 09:31 »
It was about 8:45am yesterday.  He/she was there for about 1/2 hour.

No birdie about in the rain this morning.