Author Topic: McKenzie Seeds - 2009 / Zeus & Hurricane  (Read 67071 times)

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
McKenzie Seeds - 2009 / August
« Reply #758 on: August 08, 2009, 10:19 »
That's my golden girl (056)!

Where were ya standin' Dennis?  You had to have been on the parkade to get that luncheon buffet.  That was COVERED with pigeons last time I was down there.

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #757 on: August 08, 2009, 06:54 »
Realy great pictures Dennis  :) Image 0056 (Luck) you can see the green tape on her left leg.Isn't that just like a female showing off when her picture is taken!  ::)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #756 on: August 08, 2009, 06:50 »
Lovely photos to wake up to Dennis!  I love the peregrine buffet..lol and I'm sure the family will too  ;D

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #755 on: August 08, 2009, 06:40 »
A visit to Brandon this past week finds the family unit doing well. A few photos of the chicks can be seen here.
http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/brandon_banding

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #754 on: August 08, 2009, 01:15 »
Yeah, I didn't go tonight.  Too chicken to go by myself.

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #753 on: August 07, 2009, 23:52 »
Hmmm, a little risky BL.  ???   Prolly a little safer early tomorrow AM.  :) The chances one takes to get a glimpse of our falcons! ;D  ;D

It sure was great to meet you and I'm really sorry I startled you.  :(

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #752 on: August 07, 2009, 18:09 »
YAY, Thanks RCMF.  I might go down this evening, if I am brave enough to go downtown on a Friday evening by myself  :P

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #751 on: August 07, 2009, 18:06 »
 After work today, I took a quick peek at our falcons. I saw one parent perched on one of the lights on clock tower and I did see all four kids.  There were two on the northwest roof of Mck bldg and the other two were on the MTS tower and it's been raining here most of the day.  ::)  I guess five out of six isn't bad.  :) 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #750 on: August 07, 2009, 11:47 »
you will see them all . They are probably just venturing further out. but i find they do return at night.

glad you are still keeping an eye on them :-*

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #749 on: August 06, 2009, 21:06 »
Just got back from downtown and only two kids around this evening.  Luck and Fate are sure keeping those pigeons alert.  Luck was buzzing them a lot to practice her hunting techniques.  Fate didn't do a whole lot but buzzed a couple of times.  Luck came pretty close but I don't think she was seriously hunting; she could have connected a number of times if she really wanted to.

I think they may be spending their nights on the McK building annex.  That's where they kept returning to.

Oh, and as an added bonus, I was about 30 ft from a wee merlin. We had a bit of a staring contest before I moved and it took off.  Too cute!

Offline BirdLover

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #748 on: August 06, 2009, 18:10 »
Thanks for that info TPC.  I didn't know the meaning of hack either, but knew about the feeding thing.

I quickly stopped by the downtown on my way home and once again, all we have is one kid on duty.  It was Fate sitting on the northeast corner of the Scotia Bank building.   Could tell by the bright white tape on the leg.  I am going back later this evening to see if I can see whether they are coming back and where they are roosting at night.

Will let you know what I find.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #747 on: August 06, 2009, 13:56 »
Thanks, TPC for both those pieces of info. I am glad Rose asked about the hack site as I didn't know either but was shy to ask. I am keeping some of those posts of yours in a separate folder as they are wonderful to look back over but sometimes I have trouble finding them in amongst all the postings. ;)

No need to be shy Debc52, if ya have a question feel free ask!

Offline debc52

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #746 on: August 06, 2009, 13:37 »
Thanks, TPC for both those pieces of info. I am glad Rose asked about the hack site as I didn't know either but was shy to ask. I am keeping some of those posts of yours in a separate folder as they are wonderful to look back over but sometimes I have trouble finding them in amongst all the postings. ;)

Offline Rose

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #745 on: August 06, 2009, 13:33 »
thank you TPC, I had sort of an idea what a hack site was but didn't know for sure, now I know.As to the chicks we usually knew Fate because we could see the white tape and Luck was noticably bigger,never saw her green tape,the other two were so much alike and for the first few days were always together so we called them the twins and they didn't show us a leg either!!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #744 on: August 06, 2009, 13:20 »
As BL said, we have three females and 1 male in Brandon this year.  Their names are: Fate (male), Luck (largest female & band number 13/X) and Kismet and Karma.  Now when we measured Kismet's & Karma's feet they measured as small female/large male.  Given that Hurricane's feet measured likewise in 2007 and we banded her as a male, we decided to err on the side of caution - particularly since they were closer to Luck in body size than Fate.  The only way to be sure we have the genders correct now is to wait and see if either/both turn up on nestsites in a couple of years like their Mom!