Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2012 / Beau & Jules  (Read 57687 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: West Winnipeg - 2012 / July
« Reply #305 on: July 15, 2012, 15:43 »
Looking forward to photos.  Thanks TPC.  Will you be naming them?  

Oh yes.  Don't know all the names yet but they will have names and I'll post them here :)
Hopefully I'll have them all by the time I have photos to post

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #304 on: July 15, 2012, 14:18 »
Looking forward to photos.  Thanks TPC.  Will you be naming them? 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #303 on: July 15, 2012, 14:07 »
Sorry they( Beau & Jules ) raised 3 chicks that all fledged in 2010

Yup, Annie, Aggie & Nero - they do like two girls and a boy in their nests  ;)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #302 on: July 15, 2012, 13:32 »

And that happy, healthy family was hatched and raised at the "good" nest site, so hopefully, we can have a repeat of that success next year! 8)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #301 on: July 15, 2012, 12:56 »

Offline Stormy

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
« Reply #300 on: July 15, 2012, 12:49 »
Hi TPC - I have a question . . . how will the chicks know how to hunt without being taught by the parents?

Sorry Stormy, buzzed right by your question!
How do the chicks learn how to hunt?  Like flying, it is hardwired into their little brains.  The chicks just one day step off wherever their nest is and they fly, poorly at first usually and they get better.  Then they start chasing things - usually its their siblings (a continuation of chasing and nibbling at each other in the nestbox or nestledge at the Radisson) and their parents.  Then the parents will encourage the chicks to chase them with food and they will start to transfer the food in mid-air, forcing the chicks to develop skills for catching/grabbing things in mid-air, then they start to chase/grab/catch other things from grasshoppers to whatever hapless bird crosses their path when they are "in the mood".  Then the catch is recognized as food and the chicks start to do it on purpose for the purpose of food on tap (so to speak). 

Without their parents, the chicks will start to chase things on their own.  They are provided food daily for weeks, so like the chicks-with-parents, the hardwiring will kick in and they will start chasing things on their own and the rest is the same as the chicks-with-parents.  They are provided with food for longer than the wild parents will provide their chicks, so they won't be left in the lurch, they will have more time to practice and work on their skills than their wild-chicks-with-parents neighbours.  In fact, the hacked chicks will let the attendants know when they have had enough food-deliveries.  The amount of food (Japanese quail) starts to drop off as the chicks start hunting and then when they don't come back for food, that's that and the food isn't provided at the site any longer and the chicks are on their own.

Now is having a parent around better for hunting skills?  Hard to say.  Remember, all the wild peregrines in Canada and the US are descended from hack-released, captive-bred birds - no parents taught any of them how to hunt.  And Beau, he's a captive-bred bird that was hack-released into the wild at the same age as his kids.  He turned out well.  And even though we don't know anything about Jules, given the type of band she has on her leg, it is entirely likely that her background is much the same as Beau's. 

Thanks TPC!  I can't wait to see photos of these guys/gals . . . this will Beau and Jules' first chicks to grow up, right?  I think so.  They lost Polo last year and I think that was their first try at it.  Hope they get better at this . . .  :-\

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #299 on: July 15, 2012, 11:55 »
The chicks are huge right now - haven't seen chicks this large in more than a decade, sure shows that Beau and Jules are not related to the rest of Manitoba's peregrines.  Not a bad thing, on the contrary, perhaps good for the population if one of the kids returns somewhere.  New genes and all that.

We think that they will be released mid-week but it depends on the weather somewhat.  They are in a more climate-controlled location so they are in better shape than all our other chicks were at this stage.  They are older than the Brandon chicks which have started to fledge, but they are bigger, so in terms of readiness to fledge, they are probably pretty close in their developmental cycle.  That and there are two females here, which means they would be fledging later anyway.  They've had lots of space to exercise their wings and their release location is mostly building free and there are no major roads, so getting grounded means they have lots of open areas to get back up in the air and get going again. 

I plan to have my camera with me if I get out to the release so there should be photos of WW kids in the next few days.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #298 on: July 15, 2012, 10:40 »
Do to the number of people involved, the timing and my work schedule I wasn't able to make it for the removal of the West Wpg. chicks....grrrr !

I just assumed you would have been there.  Sorry to hear you missed it.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #297 on: July 15, 2012, 09:37 »
A visit to the West Winnipeg bleachers the other day found both Beau and Jules on the rail...three hours of watching paint dry, produced a few new photos that have been added to the gallery.

http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/west_wpg_2012

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #296 on: July 15, 2012, 09:36 »
Do to the number of people involved, the timing and my work schedule I wasn't able to make it for the removal of the West Wpg. chicks....grrrr !

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #295 on: July 15, 2012, 07:52 »
With, all great explanations aside,...would still like to know the happenings of the chicks and see photos of them to find out how they are doing/developing.

I also would love to see some photos of the WW chicks. 

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #294 on: July 15, 2012, 00:45 »
With, all great explanations aside,...would still like to know the happenings of the chicks and see photos of them to find out how they are doing/developing.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:38 by allikat »

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #293 on: July 14, 2012, 20:17 »
Those are lovely pictures Dupre.

Thanks for the details about the hacking process TPC. Very interesting.

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #292 on: July 14, 2012, 09:24 »
Great, detailed information, TPC -- as always, thanks a million! There's always something to learn about these peregrine falcons.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #291 on: July 13, 2012, 22:18 »
Are we able to know where the Tower is? ???