Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2012 / Beau & Jules  (Read 57957 times)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: West Winnipeg - 2012 / July
« Reply #275 on: July 09, 2012, 19:43 »
Jules on June 23 and 29, showing off her long talons, her lack of jewelry on her left leg, and her coloured belly.

Offline Stormy

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
« Reply #274 on: July 09, 2012, 19:38 »
Hi TPC - I have a question . . . how will the chicks know how to hunt without being taught by the parents?

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #273 on: July 09, 2012, 19:37 »
Jules on June 13, she was quite alert at the time as she was unhappy with some of the goings on in the area at the time.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #272 on: July 09, 2012, 19:29 »
Beau doing some preening on June 9th.

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #271 on: July 08, 2012, 21:47 »
Thank goodness Winnipeg has someone like you Tracy, with the knowledge, background and experience to know what is the right thing to do. You have been thrown a number of challenging situations over the past few years (especially with this site), and you have come up with some very inventive ways of dealing with each challenge. Thank you for sharing this information with us. We all learn a bit more with each of your posts, and I for one am very grateful.
I am behind on reading forum, but I also agree with birdcam's message :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #270 on: July 08, 2012, 12:53 »
...The WW chicks are doing great.  The person watching over them says they are eating very well and they are responding appropriately for young peregrines of their age and stage.  Their current accommodations are much more spacious and more protected and by the time they are ready to fledge they will be in great shape for it.
This is such good news, TPC! I have been wondering how the WW chicks are doing, as I'm sure many others have been also. Thanks for the update. :-*

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #269 on: July 08, 2012, 10:49 »
Was out and about yesterday and no sign of either of the WW birds in their territory.  That's pretty normal at this point with no chicks to feed/watch over.  They have probably gone a bit further than usual for a serious spot of hunting.

When they are around, they will still go to the nestsite - it was a favourite spot for roosting for the night, in the shade, in the sun, and that won't change.  And if they are there, they won't keep looking for the chicks each time.  By this point, they aren't looking for the chicks, they are just checking out their nestsite.  We watched the same thing in 2008 with Trey and Princess and again in 2009 with Jules & Ivy and in 2011 with Jules & Beau after Polo died.  The anthropomorphic comparison I can make to humans is the "stages of grief".  Just as we are hardwired to go through a specific sequence, so are they, its not the same stages and it is much faster as befits a species that needs to be practical in order to survive.  Humans have a luxury for these kinds of things that no other species can match (or perhaps should match?)

The WW chicks are doing great.  The person watching over them says they are eating very well and they are responding appropriately for young peregrines of their age and stage.  Their current accommodations are much more spacious and more protected and by the time they are ready to fledge they will be in great shape for it.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #268 on: July 07, 2012, 23:52 »
I understand and agree with you allikat, it's just hard as humans (and a parent) to not feel sad for Jules and Beau.  I'm know they don't have the same feelings as we do, but they must process the loss somehow and it makes me sad that they have to go through that.  Even if it's for the good of the chicks.  We can only hope they learn a lesson from this... (ie: pick a better nest site next year!).
Of course Leana, human feelings are very reactive/subjective to emotions, but we must separate our human emotions as they do not apply to the raptor world.  However, we, as humans, have absolutely no clue to what raptors think or feel.  Therefore, to associate human emotions with a raptors instinct, is outside our understanding of the hard wired/instinctive minds of the raptor world.  We, as humans, must believe, and it is encumbant on us humans, to back any effort that will ensure the survival of the endangered species.

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #267 on: July 07, 2012, 20:56 »
She looks pretty calm, I think.  Getting used to the new reality!

[img width=361 height=300]http://
Her Breast looks whiter than Hurricane's or Princess'es.  Hoping her babies are faring well, and will do well in the area they have them in now.  8)

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #266 on: July 07, 2012, 17:10 »
She looks pretty calm, I think.  Getting used to the new reality!

Offline Leana

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #265 on: July 06, 2012, 11:59 »
Thanks for the reassurance Tracy.  It's good to hear that they move past the loss so quickly and go on to do much more fun stuff!  My heart still goes out to them though...

Offline transplanted maple

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #264 on: July 06, 2012, 11:21 »
The more I read and see what this group does...I can't beleive that in a world of ME and itls all for ME.
That there is a great many people still out there that really care.Thanks TPC for all the sending me, to sites to read and learn with every question I asked. Just proves that you are a natural born teacher...I am overwelmed by all of the writers

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #263 on: July 06, 2012, 09:24 »
Beau and Jules will be over their initial upset by the end of the weekend and they will be doing adult peregrine things together again - roosting together, flying together, hunting together - all pair bonding activiites which will help to keep them together for another year.  Last year they settled back down to "normal" life after we lost Polo and given the age of this year's chicks is the same as Polo's, we should hope for the same this year.

And when you see Jules at all her usual spots, remember, those where her usual spots before she started nesting, so now that she doesn't have her chicks, she's just visiting her spots like she did before she was a mom.  And though I know its difficult at times, try not to assume that she's pining for the kids during those visits.

Offline Leana

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #262 on: July 06, 2012, 09:10 »
I understand and agree with you allikat, it's just hard as humans (and a parent) to not feel sad for Jules and Beau.  I'm know they don't have the same feelings as we do, but they must process the loss somehow and it makes me sad that they have to go through that.  Even if it's for the good of the chicks.  We can only hope they learn a lesson from this... (ie: pick a better nest site next year!).

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #261 on: July 05, 2012, 22:50 »
I'm sure the parents are wondering why their chicks aren't there anymore...however, if this new hack site is better for Beau and Jules young ones, then, we have to embrace that.  It's sad to know that they realize their chicks are gone and they are calling out to them, but, this site is just not safe for fledging, at all!  All will work out for the best, we have to believe that.