Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2012 / Beau & Jules  (Read 57913 times)

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: West Winnipeg - 2012 / July
« Reply #335 on: July 24, 2012, 20:01 »
Thank you Tracy.

Can't wait for the chicks names and pictures.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #334 on: July 24, 2012, 13:06 »
Tracy do we have names for these 3 chicks?

We do actually - as of last night in fact.  If y'all can wait a day more, we're just finishing going through photos and I can give you names and photos at the same time ...

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #333 on: July 24, 2012, 12:01 »
Tracy do we have names for these 3 chicks?

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #332 on: July 24, 2012, 11:30 »
Parents are still together, maybe learning something from another unsuccessful year at this lousy site, and the young ones now elsewhere are successfully and safely flying.

Lots to be happy about here. 

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #331 on: July 24, 2012, 07:58 »
Great news, the whole family sounds well.

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #330 on: July 24, 2012, 07:57 »
So good to hear about the WW fledglings -- well fed and acing the flying, can't ask for much more than that!  8)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #329 on: July 23, 2012, 09:59 »
Report on the kids .... they are all fine... 
Thanks for this wonderful update, TPC! :-* So glad to hear that these 3 appear to be doing so well.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #328 on: July 23, 2012, 08:44 »
Mom and dad doing fine too. Saw them both on the diner, south side letters, this morning at 8:00 a.m. Both were preening in the morning sun.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #327 on: July 23, 2012, 00:31 »
Report on the kids .... they are all fine.  They all took their first flights shortly after we left them last Wednesday.  Didn't think they would go the same day but they did and they all managed to to stay off the ground.  And they all made it back to the hack site for their first post-fledging, post-hack meal which they finished off pretty darn quick.  Hungry work this flying stuff  ;)

Since then, via their transmitters, we have been able to see that none of them are straying far from the hacksite which means they know where food is which is good.  Often a chick will "bolt" away and get too far away from the hack site to know how to get back for food.  Not the case with these three, they are making short hops improving their flight skills but their base of operations is still the hack site which is great.  And they have learned how to perch on poles already!  That's a bit like being able to land on the Radisson sign for a fledgling - takes a good eye and a bit of nerve the first time.  All good signs that the West Winnipeg chicks are progressing nicely!

Offline Jo

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #326 on: July 19, 2012, 17:00 »
The females psyched us out - one minute one was calm (for a peregrine) and the other one was trying do physical damage to me.  Then it would switch. 

Sounds like they were playing "good peregrine / bad peregrine"  ;)

Thanks for the updates!

Offline Banane

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #325 on: July 19, 2012, 10:54 »
Although I live in Ottawa, I love to read all the updates and watch the Manitoba falcons web cams. I'm so glad they are, so far, all doing so well!
I am thrilled we have a second pair of Peregrines in Ottawa, but the updates are not as forthcoming. I offered to build a nest box for our new pair but I haven't heard a thing. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #324 on: July 19, 2012, 10:19 »
I'm still picturing a pack of peregrines...  

Think piranha with wings ... or at least that's what comes to my mind as WW he was trying to eat me ...  ::)

Piranha with wings... hahaha... ;D

Curiousity makes me ask... did these guys get transmitters?

They did (that's when the male tried to eat me).  Much easier to access safely at this location than say McKenzie Seeds and we didn't have to wait for one to go get softly grounded (no injuries) like at the Radisson.  Because they have been hack-released, we'll be able to keep an eye on them as they get their "wings" and if one or another "bolts" we have the ability to retrieve them before they get into real trouble.  Basically, we'll play "mom" and "dad" if they need us.

Offline Leana

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #323 on: July 19, 2012, 09:13 »

Think piranha with wings ... or at least that's what comes to my mind as WW he was trying to eat me ...  ::)

Piranha with wings... hahaha... ;D

Curiousity makes me ask... did these guys get transmitters?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #322 on: July 19, 2012, 07:59 »
though, do you think that any of them might attempt to fly back into the city and relocate themselves at their original nesting sight? ??? 

If they were to find their way there it wouldn't be "returning" it would just be luck and that the buildings in the area are appealing to all peregrines, young and old.

Do peregrines ever forget where dinner is served? 

Yes, chicks that "bolt" often forget where dinner is served.  Some will remember in time, some won't like one of the released chicks last year.  We haven't had any "bolt" chicks in the last few years at the wild site so I can't give you an example there you all would remember, but there have been wild "bolt" chicks at other sites - Mr White at Edmonton a couple of years ago?? I might have the name or location wrong but I think that was one ...

Think piranha with wings ... or at least that's what comes to my mind as WW he was trying to eat me ...  ::)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #321 on: July 19, 2012, 05:43 »
The West Winnipeg chicks are huge!  Well, the females are and the male is Trey-size which is nice.  Attitudinal however - male chick tried to eat through the glove I was wearing to catch him up. 

They are wonderful looking birds though and they have had space to exercise their wings and fly short distances so we are optimistic that they will fledge (knock on wood) without incident - so long as they don't forget where dinner is served!

:)  :-* Thank you so much for the WW update. Glad to hear they have fared well. Your vast knowledge has helped them to safely reach this stage of development without incident. As far as them remembering where their dinner is served, it sounds like they were trying to make you their appetizer!  :o