Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2012 / Beau & Jules  (Read 56661 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: West Winnipeg - 2012 / January - March
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2012, 10:07 »
Looked like Jules on the Bleachers this morning but no sign of her companion that I could see either at the Bleachers or the Diner ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2012, 07:24 »
Any sightings of "ruffling the tail feathers" with Jules and Smiley?

Only sightings of an individual bird - could be Smiley being ever-hopeful or Jules maintaining her hold on the territory.  The weather hasn't been conducive for up-close-and-personal courting behaviour (head-bowing etc at the nestsite) so maybe the infrequent sightings have been the courting aerial flights.  Having said that, from the behaviour we have seen, and others haver reported here, I suspect that Jules may be giving Beau some more time to return like Princess did in Trey in 2009.  We aren't getting close to the birds and the nestsites in this bad weather though - too much disturbance and its still early days yet in the nesting cycle so we can't report any new scrapes in the nestboxes yet.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2012, 20:56 »
Any sightings of "ruffling the tail feathers" with Jules and Smiley?

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2012, 14:17 »
Dang, too bad there is still working going on.  It would have been nice to have them nest somewhere safer.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2012, 13:38 »
When I saw the bird it was in the evening.  No one would have been working there at that time.

Ahh, that might explain it - but its nice to know she hasn't forgotten about the site OR that Smiley likes the look of it ....

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2012, 12:17 »
When I saw the bird it was in the evening.  No one would have been working there at that time.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2012, 12:15 »
Lone sad looking soaked bird sitting at the Diner at noon  :'( ...work stuff still all in place at the old nest site.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2012, 11:28 »
Last time I was by the building I didn't actually notice and construction.  Could they be done?  Or am I totally blind

Last time I was there they still had the lift-stages hanging on two sides of the roof and the time before there were actually guys working in them (that is not a common sight!).  But I will have to take a run by today if I can in case they have managed to finish - last I heard from the building management company they thought the work would take another summer.

Will let you all know what I find out .... keep your fingers crossed!

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2012, 08:14 »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2012, 04:45 »
Last evening I saw a bird sitting on one of the corner's of the building they nested on in 2010.  He/She sat there for quite a while.

Really?  Hmmm, the 2010 building is still off-limits because of construction/repairs but it is good to know they haven't forgotten their best location ...

On Saturday close to 10:15 A.M., I was driving north on Kenaston approaching the St. James bridge. I saw a bird doing short circles. It landed on a light standard and sat tall and proud. As I drove under it, I certainly saw a peregrine.  ;D  Sadly I only glanced briefly, safety first. In agreement with msdolittle, I do not see any sign of construction at their 2010 site.

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2012, 16:32 »
Last time I was by the building I didn't actually notice and construction.  Could they be done?  Or am I totally blind

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2012, 15:55 »
Last evening I saw a bird sitting on one of the corner's of the building they nested on in 2010.  He/She sat there for quite a while.

Really?  Hmmm, the 2010 building is still off-limits because of construction/repairs but it is good to know they haven't forgotten their best location ...

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2012, 14:41 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2012, 11:23 »
Smiley from the last wild-hatch from the nestbox on the Smiley Tower in Grand Forks in 2009 (the tower was demolished).  He is the son of Terminator (Brandon) and Roosevelt (Fargo).  Terminator's mom Holly and Roosevelt are siblings.

Has Smiley had any ummm 'relationships' in the past that have been tracked?

No record of any past relationships - but he is only three, so unlikely that he would have had any, usually peregrines are two+ when they find their first mate.  Not always, of course but mostly.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2012, 23:21 »
Nah....he is just being that "typical" male. 

C'mon now Beau, don't be coy!
Lately, the boys seem to seek a familial partner  :o