Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2012 / Beau & Jules  (Read 56666 times)

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: West Winnipeg - 2012 / April
« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2012, 20:18 »
TPC, do you know where they chose to nest? Not asking where it is, just wondering if you're satisfied with this year's choice!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2012, 20:07 »
It would've been around 4:45 or thereabouts, while heading east on Portage, I spied a bird on a letter of the building I'm thinking might be the diner.  While I waited at the light, he/she flew to another letter.  Do we know if Jules has laid any eggs, TPC?

We don't know for sure yet, but we suspect that she perhaps began incubating Monday/Tuesday based on her behaviour.  We hope to get a peek at her nesting location via camera shortly ...

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #123 on: April 25, 2012, 18:26 »
It would've been around 4:45 or thereabouts, while heading east on Portage, I spied a bird on a letter of the building I'm thinking might be the diner.  While I waited at the light, he/she flew to another letter.  Do we know if Jules has laid any eggs, TPC?

Offline SusanE

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2012, 10:00 »
Your photos are always awesome, Dennis, but I particularly like photo #120.   :)

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2012, 09:24 »
A few more photos have been added.
http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/west_wpg_2012

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2012, 21:45 »
Thanks Alli, maybe tomorrow , another appointment then, we'll see ;D

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2012, 21:37 »
Hope your appointment went well....too bad you didn't manage to see any birdies.....

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2012, 21:27 »
I had an appointment in west Winnipeg today and managed to swing buy the bleachers and the diner. No sign of birdies at either location.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2012, 22:15 »
I'm pretty sure the project is trying to remove all the unsuitable nests.....it's this darn Jules!  She's a little bit of a "bird"..... She, Jules, cetainly loves the "attention". 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2012, 16:54 »
Earth Day as mentionned on the Radisson thread was spent tending to our peregrine charges, but Beau and Jules were totally absent when we went to see them and it wasn't until we'd been by at least one more time that they were suddenly where they should be.  Both of them, so that means that Jules doesn't appear to be incubating yet.  Tried to access a camera we left hooked up "just in case" (its always "just in case" with these two  ::)) but we had all but one piece of technical wizardry, no fault of Eye-Spy's however, Dennis and I hadn't recalled all the things we did during take-down last fall, so. we'll have to make another trip at some point to see if/what we can see.

Dennis did get some very pretty shots of the two of them together though ...

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2012, 18:56 »
TPC, is it not possible to move the nestboxes to a place you feel is more suitable, maybe this autumn? 

That's exactly what we thought Liz!  And yes, we have boxes in suitable places and she knows about them, they have both been in them and both made scrapes in them but she wants what she wants. 
I guess I meant, take out the unsuitable ones.   ::)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2012, 21:25 »
Drat!  Jules is killling me.... ::)  Guess, she's doing that to all of us! 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2012, 21:18 »
TPC, is it not possible to move the nestboxes to a place you feel is more suitable, maybe this autumn? 

That's exactly what we thought Liz!  And yes, we have boxes in suitable places and she knows about them, they have both been in them and both made scrapes in them but she wants what she wants.  We have been trying to gain access to prevent her from accessing the site at all, but no luck so far and I'm afraid but I think we may be out of time and we will just have to let them get on with laying eggs (if they haven't already started).

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2012, 20:59 »
I seem to recall TPC saying there are several nest boxes in WW.

The problem is whether the falcons choose to use them or not. Much like the years Trey and Princess chose the east ledge rather than the west nest box.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2012, 20:16 »