Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2012 / Beau & Jules  (Read 56739 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: West Winnipeg - 2012 / August - December
« Reply #395 on: September 12, 2012, 16:50 »
Glad to hear your hacked birds are doing well.

they all seem to leave at different times but I think the hacked birds leave earlier. I have seen that here in the last 2 years, with our hacked birds.

some of our young ones in other years have left in mid august and some have stayed till 3rd week in sept. They go when their inner time clock tells them.  We were corrie when one of ours left so earlier a few years ago but he was spotted along the migration path by a bird watcher and band number was verified by Gord.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #394 on: September 09, 2012, 14:34 »
Good to know, I am either running past there in the very early morning or at dusk. I guess there's a good breeze up there in the summer and a last little bit of warmth in the autumn..or maybe they just enjoy a good sunset. I've been on the top floor of that building and the view is breathtaking. You really get a sense of how green Winnipeg really is.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #393 on: September 09, 2012, 13:54 »
Birdie sitting on the South facing "S" last evening, facing West into the sunset.

Interesting. I saw the same scenario earlier in the day, although no sunset. This was at 10:40 in the morning.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #392 on: September 09, 2012, 07:16 »
Birdie sitting on the South facing "S" last evening, facing West into the sunset.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #391 on: September 08, 2012, 23:26 »
Yep, pretty much just watch nature to find out what's really goin' on out there!!! 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #390 on: September 05, 2012, 09:31 »
Ah... lots of things to consider, more than just the temperature. :)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #389 on: September 03, 2012, 11:29 »
...Alot of peregrine movement at the US migration sites which could mean everyone is going to bolt sooner than last year.
Why would they be migrating sooner than last year, TPC, when the weather is still so warm? ???

The weather is warm but check out the light and the air today, its very much a fall day even though we here in Winnipeg are forecasting temps in the high 20Cs.  And the trees are dropping their leaves and the acorns have been falling in huge numbers and very very fast.  Nature knows what we do not.  The peregrines leave not because of the temperatures, we know they can/do survive Winnipeg winters if they want to - Madame was here from 1990 to 2004 year round.  They are moving because prey species are moving and because their hardwiring has picked up on some trigger - jet stream maybe, change in prevailing winds, angle of the light, ozone levels in the air, something. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #388 on: September 03, 2012, 10:31 »
...Alot of peregrine movement at the US migration sites which could mean everyone is going to bolt sooner than last year.
Why would they be migrating sooner than last year, TPC, when the weather is still so warm? ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #387 on: September 02, 2012, 22:38 »
Juliet and Lilith have taken off from the hack site.  They've head north and west in fact, about 100km north and west in fact.  And yes, they are still together, and I would suspect they will stay together for at least a while longer.  Will be interesting to see how long they stay together - neat if they migrated with each other but we'll just have to wait and see.

Alot of peregrine movement at the US migration sites which could mean everyone is going to bolt sooner than last year.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #386 on: September 01, 2012, 12:47 »
Nothing has changed, still using the hack site as their base of operations but they have been going further afield...

Are they still being fed the quail or are they doing their own hunting now, TPC? :-\

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #385 on: August 29, 2012, 19:08 »
Any new news on Lilith and Juliet?

Nothing has changed, still using the hack site as their base of operations but they have been going further afield.   Usually I get updates when a) something unusual has happened or every two/three weeks.  We should get another update shortly.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #384 on: August 27, 2012, 21:25 »
Any new news on Lilith and Juliet?

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #383 on: August 27, 2012, 02:15 »
Sunday went for a drive, no falcons at the Diner or the Bleachers. As we headed for the tower one falcon flew overhead and landed at the Tower (4:10 p.m.). Because we can see a silver band rather than a breeders ring I'm going to say this is Beau.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #382 on: August 22, 2012, 11:21 »
One falcon had dinner on the Diner at about 6 p.m. yesterday.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #381 on: August 21, 2012, 21:33 »
The Merlin shot is just too cool.
Spotted a PF on the East facing u this morning at 0617h..watching the sun start to come up. It has been a while since I saw one there.