Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2009 / Ivy & Jules  (Read 19695 times)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
West Winnipeg - 2009 / March
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2009, 08:42 »
Good morning,

Saw Ivy or mate this morning perched on top of a building on my way to work...couldn't tell as I only saw his/her back side.  What a Beauty!

I have an invested interest in our group of peregrines.   ;)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 08:44 by allikat »

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2009, 16:19 »
Oooooooooooooooh - very clever allikat!!!  ;D

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2009, 18:10 »
;-)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2009, 18:23 »
 ;)  ;)

Saw the falcon again on the way home on top of a letter of the building.

I'm so lucky, I get to see Ivy, his mate, Trey & Princess to and from work...Life can't get any better than this :)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2009, 19:41 »
Soooo - I was able to figure some stuff out,  :-* - and was almost hanging upside down on the bus today, looking out the window hoping to see them - but as usual NOTHING - Sheesh - I haven't even seen P&T in real life yet!  ::)

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2009, 22:29 »
i've given up trying to figure out where the  birds are.  I figure i'll just leave it to the selected few who know where they are.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2009, 07:00 »
and that is when I spotted the third peregrine.  The female then bolted from The Bleachers to join the melee and by size we realized that the new bird was a female and the battle was on!  The two females dove and hit one another and began flying and fighting their way back toward The Bleachers with Ivy pitching in.

Sorry for the quality...but you must remember that these photos where taken from a long distance away, hand held @ 400mm. This just gives you and idea of what unfolded in mere seconds. Photos have been posted in the Peregrines West-End.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2009, 08:28 »
What an incredible gallery of photos Dennis.  ;D  Ivy is certainly a very handsome young fellow, just like his rockstar dad.
The photos of the encounter between the three adults are amazing.  I don't know how you managed it, given the speed at which all of this happened.  8)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2009, 01:04 »
Ivy and his female were playing at the B&B today.  Dennis and I tried to sneak onto the roof to check the box without them noticing but no such luck.  They are defensive of the nestbox (a great thing) and there is a nice scrape in the gravel - looks perfect for a clutch of 4 eggs.  Nothing yet, but we will be keeping a close eye on the site.

Dennis did manage to snap some photos, but they were flying very fast (but close) and the light was flat which makes detailed photos difficult to capture.  You may or may not have new Dennis photos to see shortly but I have a photo or two of the scrape, but I'm not sure how "viewer-friendly" they are but I'm sure I'll post them in the next couple of days.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2009, 08:22 »
To help you ID the West End Birds other than by size when seen together. Jewel (female) being larger and the thin Breeders Band that can not always be seen. She has more yellow around the eyes towards her beak. As well her beak seems more yellow than Ivy's...perhaps a breeding time thing ?? Perhaps Tracy could fill us in on that.
I'm only able to see this after looking at photos.
http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/image/111408388

TPC is a "Pro" and can tell at a glance it seems.

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2009, 08:44 »
Fabulous pictures, as always, Dennis!

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2009, 09:06 »
I especially like the ones where they look like they are dropping off the railing. Beautiful.

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2009, 10:17 »
Stunnign captures of the Western Pair.  Keep up the great work Dennis, from one photographer to another :)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2009, 11:28 »
Great shots Dennis...I love the ones where the falcon is "dropping" off the railing.  They truly are magnificent!

Any word or idea who the intruder was??  Hopefully just a falcon passing through and only made Winnipeg a rest spot.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2009, 12:00 »
Peregrines pass by here all the time on their way to the marshes and lakes north and west of here - very popular places with non-breeding (too young, too old or no mate yet) birds.  Hang out at Oak Hammock Marsh in a couple of months and you will probably see a peregrine there on any given day - sometimes even "ours".  T-Rex, Trey's Dad, was seen out there quite frequently during the breeding season - off shopping for the incubating Madame ...

As for the interloper, haven't had any reports of injured/dead peregrines recently and haven't had any other sightings.  If we do, no worries, I'll post them!