Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2009 / Ivy & Jules  (Read 50076 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
West Winnipeg - 2009 / March
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 21:20 »
Safety of the birds , always first.  and of course the privacy of the building they occupy.

someone asked why your birds are returning and not Edmontons, yet.  we are further North and it depends where they winter. 
that could be one reason.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 10:14 »
No we aren't divulging where the birds are hanging out, not because we don't want to share but because it makes it difficult for the building managers to do their jobs.  If the birds decide to nest and if the building management & occupants don't have a problem become a focus of potentially intense public attention (which includes things like increased security and safety), then I will reconsider the Project's decision.

The Peregrine Chick

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 20:01 »
I've seen them!
I also won't say anything as it's private  :-X
Sorry everyone.. I just find it absolutely wonderful that we have more than one pair of fabulous falcons in Winnipeg. 
Maybe this year will bring more chicks in our mix   :D

To Trey & Princess......ahem ~ NEST ON THE WEST!

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 16:32 »
Below is a quote from one of Tracy's posts last year.  I'm not sure how to change the color for this thing so we'll see once I post if it worked.  Otherwise here's what she said.  Doesn't mention the success of any eggs/hatchlings. 

Not going to tell you I'm afraid.  The problem is that the birds are hanging out on some buildings that are perfect for them but their presence is not always so easy for building management or building occupants.  Also, if it is Lucy and Ivy or one of them with someone new, they are a new pair and so far the track record in this part of town has not been great.  What is great is the location and the willingness of the people involved to welcome the birds and all the necessary "baggage" that comes with them.  So, in order to give the birds and the people a break, we are keeping the locations anonymous for the time being.  Will happily keep everyone informed on the birds' and their maybe babies progress though!

While I would love to share everything about all of our birds with everyone, the peregrines, their safety and the recovery effort take precedence.  I hope everyone understands the reasons for the Project's decision, even if you don't necessarily agree with the decision.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 10:00 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 16:16 »
i think the west is kept secret because of it's location .yes?   i remember last year no one would say, so I assumed it must be on an apartment block ..or somewhere people wouldn't want to be bothered with crazy peregrin people milling about.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 16:10 »
 Wow, how great is this!  Why is it that the Winnipeg birds return earlier than the Edmonton birds?  And....if I remember correctly you don't share with us where the west-Winnipeg birds are??  Do they have a nest?  Have they ever used it?  Should I do my own reasearch perhaps??   ;)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
West Winnipeg - 2009 / Ivy & Jules
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 12:59 »
At the end of last week as I was going home, what should I spot? (yes, its rhetorical) There on one of the West Winnipeg pair's favourite perches were two large dark birds.  Unfortunately I didn't get a really good look at them, but usually doesn't take much for me. But erring on the side of caution (you know me, Ms Spontaneous Project Coordinator), I mentionned it to Dennis and the two of us have been keeping our eyes on all their favourite buildings ever since. 

So while I have been inside working today, Dennis happened to going past one of the buildings during the course of his work and he looked up (can't think why  ::)) and lo and behold, there were two peregrines on the corner of another of their favourite buildings.  Hopefully these are them back for the summer rather than migration tourists.  This building is very (very) popular with migrating birds, great location, great hunting, great nap perches and far enough away from the Radisson birds that there isn't any territorial misunderstandings. 

Dennis & I will be keeping an eye on these birds and the buildings to see what transpires.  We will of course  ;) keep you all informed!