Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2009 / Ivy & Jules  (Read 50092 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
West Winnipeg - 2009 / March
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2009, 16:27 »
Wow !!!
 where were you when I was naming my girls :) :)

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2009, 16:08 »
And the maestro should take a bow - I'm in awe of your thought process TPC

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2009, 16:06 »
Great explanation of our newly named West Winnipeg pair...  Ivy & Jules.

Hmmmm..I wonder what streams of consciousness or convoluted logic will come if Ivy & Jules have chicks to be named?    ;) & :-*

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2009, 15:46 »
 :o - WOW TPC! - your creative process is fascinating! - Ivy & Jules- excellent!!  ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2009, 15:36 »
Okay, I have decided (unilaterally) on a name for the female in West Winnipeg.  The name follows the usual convoluted logic that usually applies to names of our birds.

Female has a one ring band rather than the kind of bands we put on the chicks, its the kind of band I have only ever seen used by breeders or by falconers, so it could be that she decided she wanted the wide open skies more than she wanted guaranteed food and shelter.  In any case, unless we can get a very up-close (< 12 inches) look at her band
AND if the band has markings, we won't be able to tell who she is or when/where she came from. 

So, here is the stream of consciousness that named our newest female ...

... ring-band -- ring -- diamond ring - diamond - gem - gem is too cute name for carnivorous peregrine -- (back one step) -- diamond -- jewel -- jewel also too cute name a name for screaming, whacking, protective mama bird -- (back one step) -- diamond -- ruby -- emerald -- (way too cute names, back stepping again) -- diamond -- jewel (again) -- Jewel & Ivy -- (good rhythm) -- Ivy & Jewel -- (female bird has boat loads of personality from what I've seen so far, needs a good name) -- Jewel -- (still can't twitch when I type name) -- Jewel -- (spelling change like Trey and Ivy's names perhaps?) -- Jewel -- Julie -- (ack, 'nuff said) -- Jewel -- Jule -- (better) -- Ivy & Jule -- (not there yet, still too cute) -- Ivy & Jules -- (like that) ...  Jules & Ivy .. (works that way too) ...

Ladies, Gentlemen & Phanatics ... I am pleased to introduce our newest, hopefully soon to be nesting in West Winnipeg, peregrine pair ... Ivy and Jules.

And if we do manage to find out who she is/was in her previous life, we can give her a hyphenated name or she can be "Jules, the peregrine formerly known as <insert former incarnation's name here>".  Seems to me though that if she was a breeding or falconry bird, this may be a new life or the resumption of a previous life, both of which are deserving of a "new" name.

Offline Mother Hen

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2009, 14:09 »
I am glad to hear about this pair of peregrines.........Watch out pigeons

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2009, 12:05 »
Just went and checked my dates, Hurricane was spotted at the Smiley Tower in Grand Forks on April 8th and that was the only day they saw him.  Dennis and I saw the interloper buzz through on the 12th but it was the same size as our new female so I don't think it was Hurricane.  But the timing could have worked ....

I will of course let you all know what/if anything I hear about either the interloper (probably just a tourist) and Hurricane.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2009, 12:00 »
Peregrines pass by here all the time on their way to the marshes and lakes north and west of here - very popular places with non-breeding (too young, too old or no mate yet) birds.  Hang out at Oak Hammock Marsh in a couple of months and you will probably see a peregrine there on any given day - sometimes even "ours".  T-Rex, Trey's Dad, was seen out there quite frequently during the breeding season - off shopping for the incubating Madame ...

As for the interloper, haven't had any reports of injured/dead peregrines recently and haven't had any other sightings.  If we do, no worries, I'll post them!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2009, 11:28 »
Great shots Dennis...I love the ones where the falcon is "dropping" off the railing.  They truly are magnificent!

Any word or idea who the intruder was??  Hopefully just a falcon passing through and only made Winnipeg a rest spot.

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2009, 10:17 »
Stunnign captures of the Western Pair.  Keep up the great work Dennis, from one photographer to another :)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2009, 09:06 »
I especially like the ones where they look like they are dropping off the railing. Beautiful.

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2009, 08:44 »
Fabulous pictures, as always, Dennis!

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2009, 08:22 »
To help you ID the West End Birds other than by size when seen together. Jewel (female) being larger and the thin Breeders Band that can not always be seen. She has more yellow around the eyes towards her beak. As well her beak seems more yellow than Ivy's...perhaps a breeding time thing ?? Perhaps Tracy could fill us in on that.
I'm only able to see this after looking at photos.
http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/image/111408388

TPC is a "Pro" and can tell at a glance it seems.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2009, 01:04 »
Ivy and his female were playing at the B&B today.  Dennis and I tried to sneak onto the roof to check the box without them noticing but no such luck.  They are defensive of the nestbox (a great thing) and there is a nice scrape in the gravel - looks perfect for a clutch of 4 eggs.  Nothing yet, but we will be keeping a close eye on the site.

Dennis did manage to snap some photos, but they were flying very fast (but close) and the light was flat which makes detailed photos difficult to capture.  You may or may not have new Dennis photos to see shortly but I have a photo or two of the scrape, but I'm not sure how "viewer-friendly" they are but I'm sure I'll post them in the next couple of days.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2009, 08:28 »
What an incredible gallery of photos Dennis.  ;D  Ivy is certainly a very handsome young fellow, just like his rockstar dad.
The photos of the encounter between the three adults are amazing.  I don't know how you managed it, given the speed at which all of this happened.  8)