Author Topic: QC / Montréal - Turcot Interchange-River's Edge Church - 2012-19  (Read 7662 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: QC / Montréal - River's Edge Church - 2019 / Algo & Polly
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2019, 13:37 »
It seems likely that Algo and Polly are incubating eggs at the River's Edge Church. It is not possible to provide absolute confirmation, since the inside of the nest cannot be seen.

Observations during the past few days suggest that the peregrine falcons Algo and Polly have begun to incubate eggs in their nest at River's Edge Church. If everything goes well, the first signs of hatching could possibly be seen during the first week of June. This year's nesting is special, because it seems that Algo is splitting his time between two females at two different nests! It is unclear what impact this double life of Algo will have on this breeding season, in the event that this situation is confirmed.

In order not to make this article longer, I suppose that a peregrine falcon banded only on the left leg, and who interacts in a normal manner with Polly, is Algo. It has not been possible to confirm his identity beyond any doubt by reading his band.

This year, there is a new nest along the Lachine Canal, and this is the nest which may be Algo's second nest.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2019, 20:39 »
i am so happy P{olly has decided to come here and not challenge for eves nest. I really like Pollly

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2019, 23:42 »
Latest update

On April 22, Algo took prey into the River's Edge nest. Polly came out of the nest with the prey, to eat it on the outside of the church. Algo came out again almost immediately (an indication that incubation had not yet begun), and watched Polly eating while having a conversation with her. Algo then went hunting for another prey for himself. After his meal, he had a meeting with Polly inside the nest. He then perched on a cross, where he remained until 8:30 p.m.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
QC / Montréal - River's Edge Church - 2019 / Algo & Polly
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2019, 23:30 »
Updates on Algo and Polly

After the failure of their nesting attempt at the River's Edge Church last year, Algo and Polly had returned to the area of the Turcot Interchange by July.

This year, Algo was seen on February 21 and February 28, but then was not seen again.

On March 24, a new male was seen at the Turcot with Polly, and they appeared to be bonding.

Polly was seen at the River's Edge nest at least three times in the early part of April.

Algo's long absence had raised concerns that something might have happened to him, but on April 7, Algo was photographed at the River's Edge nest. In the following few days, both Algo and Polly were seen at the nest.

On April 16, a male who was not Algo was seen near Polly at River's Edge, and was even seen going into the nest. He appeared to be the new male from the Turcot.

Most recently, a male who appears to be Algo was seen going into the River's Edge nest. It would appear that Algo had decided to make an attempt to win Polly back.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: QC / Montréal - Turcot-River's Edge - 2018 / Algo & Polly
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2018, 17:50 »
Okay folks, had a little look at the map of Montreal and was surprised at how close River's Edge Community Church is to the Turcot Interchange.  My fault entirely, for some reason I thought the church nestsite was much further away from the Interchange.  Shouldn't have made that assumption.  In Winnipeg, if you nest in the same territory, the name doesn't change.  The West Winnipeg birds have nested in 4 different locations in the territory and the Logan birds have nested in three different locations over the years. 

So, for the moment, I'm going to call this the Turcot-River's Edge site.  The birds have only nested at the Church for one year, will be interesting to see if they stick there or try their luck elsewhere.  Or if they don't return (knock on wood they both do!) then we will have to see if a new pair thinks as highly of the site. 

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: QC / Montréal - River's Edge Church - 2018 / Algo & Polly
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2018, 12:18 »
An update on Polly and Algo dated July 6, which I translated from the French:

In spite of the intense heat of the last few days, a peregrine was present at the nest in the loft of the River's Edge Church yesterday morning. However, no clear sign of hatching has been observed. It is possible that the nest has failed, but that one of the falcons is still hoping that the eggs will hatch. Of course, no definite conclusion can be drawn while the falcons have not yet abandoned the nest (or a chick appears at the entrance . . .)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2018, 00:18 »
Based on observations of their behaviour by watchers very knowledgeable about peregrines, it is believed that Polly and Algo are incubating eggs. If they are, it is thought that incubation would have begun some time after May 10. Timing for possible hatching would be between June 10 and June 21.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 21:02 »
Nice to see they have found a new place - and if the Church is okay with them nesting there then hopefully it won't take much convincing to get an upgrade in place perhaps even for next year.  (Now I'm going to have to google the church)

The people in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce are apparently very pleased to have Polly and Algo there. As far as I know, the church has no objection to their presence.

I think this new site could be a good one for them. It is a much quieter area than the Turcot Interchange. The church is located on the Chemin de la Côte-Saint-Antoine. It is not far from the métro stations of Vendôme and Villa-Maria, and is about 1.9 km from the Turcot Interchange.

Photos of the River's Edge Church, showing the nest site and two peregrines on the church. The second photo is by Marcel Pérez.

More information (in French).

http://falco-urbanis.blogspot.com/2018/05/leglise-rivers-edge-nouveau-domicile.html

Link to another photo of the church:

https://imtl.org/edifices/St_Augustines-s-Church.php
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 21:07 by Alison »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2018, 20:48 »
The interchange I believe is supposed to (at this time at least) be still under renovation until 2019.  Given that this pair are a bit of an institution, I would like to think that someone is making plans to put a box (or 3) back in place though to be honest, birds nesting that close to major roads gives me ulcers - we have a couple and I lose sleep when they are fledging. And yes, I've lost birds to traffic at all of these sites and hate it.

Yes, the Turcot Interchange is still under renovation until at least 2019. Polly and Algo were provided with a really good nest box in the general area of the Turcot some years ago, a box much iike the one at l'Université de Montréal, with carpeted areas and external perches, but they chose not to use the box. I am not aware of any plans to put a nest box in that area again. I agree, it is a very dangerous area for nesting. As I understand it, although the people in the area loved the birds, the powers that be do not want the birds back in the area. They do not like them, do not want them there and have wanted them gone for at least several years. I have seen this type of situation many times; as I said, it's the Pittsburgh Syndrome.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 19:13 »
They finally abandoned the area of the Turcot Interchange. All potential nest sites in that area were deliberately blocked off to prevent them from remaining there. I call that the Pittsburgh Syndrome.

The interchange I believe is supposed to (at this time at least) be still under renovation until 2019.  Given that this pair are a bit of an institution, I would like to think that someone is making plans to put a box (or 3) back in place though to be honest, birds nesting that close to major roads gives me ulcers - we have a couple and I lose sleep when they are fledging. And yes, I've lost birds to traffic at all of these sites and hate it.

Polly and Algo are now residing at River's Edge Church in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce. It is not possible to see whether they have eggs or chicks, but their behaviour would indicate it is fairly likely. Their new potential nest site at the church is a small, cramped area. If they stay, I would like to see a spacious nest box provided for them next year. 

Nice to see they have found a new place - and if the Church is okay with them nesting there then hopefully it won't take much convincing to get an upgrade in place perhaps even for next year.  (Now I'm going to have to google the church)

Thanks for keeping an eye on these two for us Alison!  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2018, 16:42 »
Thank you for the update on Algo & Polly, Alison.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 15:44 »
Not often we have ?? for a location in the thread subject line!
I'm sure if Polly and Algo settle somewhere, someone will post a notice about it.

Okay, I will fill in the blank.

Polly and Algo are now residing at River's Edge Church in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce. It is not possible to see whether they have eggs or chicks, but their behaviour would indicate it is fairly likely. Their new potential nest site at the church is a small, cramped area. If they stay, I would like to see a spacious nest box provided for them next year.

They finally abandoned the area of the Turcot Interchange. All potential nest sites in that area were deliberately blocked off to prevent them from remaining there. I call that the Pittsburgh Syndrome.

Photo by John Mahoney, Montreal Gazette.

The accompanying article:

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/celebrated-peregrine-falcons-move-into-n-d-g-church

And a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgv3oMe3CJo&feature=youtu.be

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2018, 13:26 »
Not often we have ?? for a location in the thread subject line!
I'm sure if Polly and Algo settle somewhere, someone will post a notice about it.

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 12:48 »
2018 NESTING SEASON

I hope that there will be a follow-up on this story to see where the Peregrine Falcon's nest this year.  Unfortunately, "progress" de-homes so many people/animals/birds.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: QC / Montreal - Turcot Interchange - 2017 / Algo & Polly
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 15:00 »
Love the CBC short documentaries and very much appreciated seeing Algo and Polly at the Turcot interchange. Thanks for sharing, TPC.