Author Topic: Videos: Flying with the Birds  (Read 4416 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Videos: Flying with the Birds
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 20:58 »
See this squirrel ride a woodpecker in perfectly timed photo
Alexandra Pope / The Weather Network / 11 June 2015

Proving that even animals have their awkward moments, a Cornwall, Ont., photographer captured the exact moment a red squirrel regretted approaching a woodpecker's nest.  You can practically see the squirrel wishing it had a time machine.

The photo is reminiscent of another image that went viral earlier in the spring, showing a baby weasel appearing to “ride” a woodpecker in an attempt to eat it. That image spawned a bunch of humorous memes.

Photographer Brian Morin said he was out for a morning hike in Lancaster on June 5 when he spotted the squirrel creeping up on a pair of pileated woodpeckers guarding their young. Red squirrels are known for being aggressive and will often raid birds’ nests, so the woodpeckers “weren’t taking any chances.

“I was watching the possible outcome of this, so I was ready to shoot,” Morin said. “I saw the male take off from the side of the tree and flip the squirrel off the tree with his bill.”  The squirrel took off after hitting the ground, “Probably pretty relieved,” Morin laughed.  “It was all over in a matter of seconds.”

When Morin reviewed the files from his camera later, he couldn’t believe his eyes.  “As often happens from a photographic perspective, I’m taking pictures and have a sense of what I’ve captured, but you never really know until you download them,” he said. “I downloaded them and I was like, ‘Oh my gosh – not only did I get it, but it’s in focus!’”

Just in case anyone is inclined to cry “Photoshop,” here are a few more of Morin’s images capturing the attack. [check the story] Morin said it just goes to show the lengths birds will go to in order to protect their young.

“Red squirrels can be very nasty; they will not hesitate to take on animals much larger than themselves, but this particular pileated [woodpecker] was like, ‘No farther. You crossed the line,’” he said.

Source:  http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/squirrel-rides-woodpecker-in-perfectly-timed-photo/52544/

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 20:45 »
Crow lands on a flying eagle and rides it into glory
Leeanna McLean / The Weather Network / 2 July 2015

A cheeky crow has been photographed in a rare moment catching a lift on the back of a bald eagle 25-feet in the air.

These unusual images show the moment this intrepid crow landed on the back of a bald eagle while the much larger predatory bird was trying find itself an early morning snack. This encounter lasted only a few seconds before the birds parted as friends and flew their own separate ways.  The photos are reminiscent of another image that went viral in early June, showing a squirrel falling on a woodpecker. There was also the perfectly timed photo of a baby weasel appearing to ride a woodpecker in an attempt to eat it. Don't forget the brave raccoon that was caught standing on top of an alligator. The most recent chance-meeting between the crow and eagle was captured by amateur photographer Phoo Chan in Seabeck, Washington.

“I was photographing a bald eagle flying around hunting for an early meal when suddenly the crow approached the eagle from behind,” said Phoo. “At first I thought the crow was going to chase away the eagle. I have seen crows harassing a hawk by swooping back and forth in order to drive it away from their territory."

The photographer said he was "completely awed" to see the crow actually land on the back of the flying eagle.  “It was as if it was taking a short break and at the same time a free ride. What‘s more surprising was the eagle didn't seem to mind and kept flying as if nothing happened."  Phoo believes the crow landed on the eagle's back because the eagle was not phased by the crow's harassment.

Bald eagles can be found in North America, usually near large areas of open water. They are opportunistic feeders who will swoop down and grab their prey in their large talons.  There is no real difference in the plumage between male and female bald eagles, their heads and tails are white while the main body is brown. The females are 25 per cent larger in size than the males.

“Eventually the crow flew away and the eagle continued to hunt for its breakfast,” said Phoo. “They both flew in different directions and it looked like they became friends."

People often ask Phoo how he is able to capture photos so quickly. “You have to be in the right place at the right time when it happens.”

slideshow - http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/must-see-crow-hitches-ride-on-bald-eagles-back-/53641/

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 20:24 »
Watch as an injured pelican spreads wings and soars for first the time

video: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/watch-as-an-injured-pelican-spreads-wings-and-soars-for-first-the-time/22521/

This is a MUST see - you will get the kind of bird's eye view you have never seen before.

You don't have to be an animal lover to appreciate this story. 

Nearly four months ago, a Great White pelican promptly waddled up onto the beach of Lake Tanganyika, at Tanzania's Greystoke Mahale safari camp, after he was abandoned by his flock during a storm. The three month old bird was found injured and unable to feed himself by safari staff who eventually nursed Big Bird back to health.

"This species doesn't dive for fish, instead they corral the fish co-operating with each other and then scoop the cornered prey into their large stretchy pouches below the bill," wrote Nomad Tanzania staff in a blog. "So we have been given permission from Tanapa, the park authority to feed him."  As the caretakers continued with their efforts, they eventually realized that the young bird hadn't learned to fly. And so they set out on a new mission: Get Big Bird off the ground and into the sky!

"He didn't fly for some weeks but with encouragement he got the idea," they continued. "We would run up and down flapping our arms and simulating flight for him. He would look on curiously until one day he showed us how it was done!"

And lucky for us, the whole thing was captured on camera. In the video featured above, you can literally watch the very second Big Bird spread his wings and soared for the first time, thanks to a small camera strapped to his bill.

"We are so proud of him and he is such a clever bird. He can FLY!"

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 22:12 »
Wow it's wonderful!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 19:42 »

..anybody else see this before?  If so, my apologies...

http://www.parahawkusa.com/Home.html

:o :o

Wonderful...thanks for sharing!!   8)

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 14:35 »
Lovely, just lovely!  :-* :-* :-* jadoo

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 20:36 »
Thank you so much for sharing the link for this video.  I watched it a half a dozen times, one right after the other, I was so enthralled with it.   :o  How I would love to "fly" with a bird like that.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 20:27 »
That was amazing! 8) Never seen or heard of anything like that before, jadoo.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 14:18 »
That was breathtaking! 

Offline jadoo

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Videos: Flying with the Birds
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 11:02 »

..anybody else see this before?  If so, my apologies...

http://www.parahawkusa.com/Home.html

:o :o