Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2012 / Chase & Radisson  (Read 29086 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2012 / Chase & Radisson
« Reply #170 on: July 16, 2012, 10:10 »
Keep up the good work out there in Edmonton, bev & Peter et al. We are rooting for all of your PF's and for all of you too, rain or shine! :-*

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #169 on: July 15, 2012, 23:42 »
We have been run ragged the last few days and Peter and I have been doing Marathon shifts but I promise to come in here on Tuesday and give you a low down. I want to thank people for bringing our posts over here.

There is someone , I do  no know, who, but someone  has made us a lovely poster for fledge watch and I will be posting that as well.

We got thoroughly drenched today but our wee guy, and he is wee, is getting stronger and stronger.

I will explain about Chase also.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #168 on: July 15, 2012, 08:03 »
Thanks Elaine and Bev for all the updates here.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #167 on: July 14, 2012, 19:27 »
CSB, U of A:  Peter was here early this morning and I arrived at 9:00.  For hours, we watched little Feist, and he did not go anywhere.  He scared us one time as he hunkered down and flattened out so much on the 5th floor ledge of College Plaza, we could not see him.  We thought we had somehow missed his flight, and started looking all over, then Peter saw what he thought was Feist on the ledge below the roof, but this turned out to be Chase; then, the little devil popped up again and started catwalking down his ledge.  Both Radisson and Chase flew by him a couple of times, and even landed on the ledge near him to encourage him to get out there, but he would have none of it.  After a while, he didn't even bother to screech whenever he saw them, he just turned his back and flattened out again.   By this time, Peter had gone down to the Weber to check on the chick there, and Bev was with me, and when I left around 1:00, Feist still had not left his ledge, and he didn't look like he was ever going to leave.  It was so hot today it was almost unbearable, but we did have a nice breeze, which certainly helped.  I am sure Bev or Peter will have more to report later about the rest of the day at the CSB.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2012, 18:29 »
Yes I agree, bcbird!   
Thanks for posting Peter’s report from 9:00 am, Elaine!!

Really enjoyed how well Bev is learning to translate falcon talk. Nothing like some humour to make the day, trouble is it all makes perfect sense, to me anyhow.  8)   Please ask Peter to keep us up to date on Bev’s excellent translations!  ;D 

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2012, 17:58 »
Wow, fabulous translating Bev
Good storyline, anyway.

Thanksfor passing the news along, Peter and Elaine.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #164 on: July 13, 2012, 11:01 »
CSB:  Here is Peter's report at BCAW from 9:00 this morning:  

Bev just called as she was down there early this morning. Jean said the youngster was still on the ledge this morning. Thanks Jean, I know the early rising is not your favorite thing. The rest of this post may sound a bit crazy as I think Bev is starting to translate falcon talk. She's been doing this too long, me thinks. She advised that Chase went to get the food that Radison had left on the ledge at CP the night before. Radison flew over and gave him supreme and grabbed the food and flew around and put it on another ledge. Every time Radison goes out hunting, Chase just follows her and Bev said that it almost looked like she gave him supreme and told him to stay put and "babysit" while she got some food. Bev was sure that this is what was going on, probably because she is used to doing it with me.

Radison took off again to go hunting. She came back with a big pigeon and put it on the top of the extension building. She then went around back to show the youngster where it was. The youngster followed her around, flying very well and landed on top of the building by the pigeon. Radison flew up and watched to make sure Chase was not going to try and steal his food. Bev said she had nattered at him and just like a little kid Chase started talking back, but apparently, he got the message and he didn't go near the youngster. Bev said it was like a mom scolding her child, him starting to talk back and them she had the final say and thats the way it was going to be "or else". I think Bev has been around these falcons way too long or the sun is really getting to her. In any event, youngster has been fed and for the time being all is well with the world.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #163 on: July 13, 2012, 10:52 »
During Bev's shift yesterday, Junior had to be rescued and returned to the roof of the Clinical Sciences Building.  What happened is he tried to fly around to other buildings, but ran out of steam, could not land properly, and eventually landed on the top floor of the parking lot where Bev and the fledge crew were located.  They got a towel over him, called a friend from the Wildlife Rehab Centre, who came over and checked him out.  He was fine, and Peter came down and returned him to the roof the CSB.  When I arrived Bev was getting ready to leave, after a long and scary day, and Junior was still on the ledge.  Peter and I watched Junior for almost two hours, and nothing happened, and then, of course, everything happened.  Junior mis-stepped and fell from his perch on the CSB, and tried to fly over to College Plaza, where Radisson was sitting with food.  Well, he lost his nerve, and turned around and went back, and landed on the second roof of the heart institute; then, about 20 minutes later, he left the heart institute to make his way over to Radisson on College Plaza, with Chase following him closely, but he could not get a proper landing on the building, so he circled around and then flew around to the back, where we could not see him.  Peter went down to look for him, and found him on the back side of College Plaza, on the 8th floor ledge.  Meanwhile, while this was going on, Radisson flew over to the top of the heart institute, along with Chase, then she moved back to College Plaza; Chase flew over around the back of College Plaza but I could not see where he went or landed.  When Peter returned to the parking lot where we were situated, he called Jean, who can see lots from her balcony on Windsor Park, a nearby building, and Jean could see Junior on the ledge on the back of College Plaza, and was going to keep an eye on him.  As it was starting to get dark, Peter and I left, with all birds accounted for. 

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #162 on: July 12, 2012, 18:48 »
RCF
TPC has sent me just about  every forum or web link, after every  ??? I have had about the birds. So, I hope I have read all past and present forums ....and have time to enjoy what I do see now.
From the forums...read that K97 was there first with R..And in came a new bird and chased of K97. I think that is why he got the name Chase. And that is why , I said that...

It's quite the drama that goes on with the peregrines and I am sure Chase will be a good Dad.   :)

Offline transplanted maple

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #161 on: July 12, 2012, 18:34 »
RCF
TPC has sent me just about  every forum or web link, after every  ??? I have had about the birds. So, I hope I have read all past and present forums ....and have time to enjoy what I do see now.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #160 on: July 12, 2012, 16:26 »
I think Chase has just relized :o that the kid with the mowhak may  not be his...LOL.
I didn't remember this. How do you know, tm? ???

I thought transplanted maple was just making a joke. LOL  ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #159 on: July 12, 2012, 12:55 »
Ah...got it now. Thanks tm. :) Nice that you are able to be down there for fledgewatch with bev, Peter and/or Elaine.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 12:57 by Kinderchick »

Offline transplanted maple

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #158 on: July 12, 2012, 12:53 »
From the forums...read that K97 was there first with R..And in came a new bird and chased of K97. I think that is why he got the name Chase. And that is why , I said that...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #157 on: July 12, 2012, 12:46 »
I think Chase has just relized :o that the kid with the mowhak may  not be his...LOL.
I didn't remember this. How do you know, tm? ???

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #156 on: July 12, 2012, 11:28 »
Univ. of Alta.:  Peter reported on BCAW (http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?p=200649#p200649) that Mohawk/Junior flew over to the heart institute at about 9:18 this morning, following Radisson's lead, and he didn't quite make it to the roof, but he still landed.  He was soaking wet, as we had a huge storm here last night and poor Junior stayed outside all night long.   
----------------

I am glad he apparently did not get pelted with hailstones; some were the size of tennis balls.  We have flooding all over the place, especially the Whitemud Freeway, but our falcons seem to have coped well with all this.