Author Topic: UND Tower - 2012 / Roosevelt & Terminator  (Read 7616 times)

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: UND Tower - 2012 / Roosevelt & Terminator
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 16:21 »
Hmmm.  Is too bad they dont have a camera.......

I like Grand Forks.
I have cameras.
Hmmmmmm.
Maybe coordinators should talk.

Road trip !!!  ;D

Back seat.  I just cleaned the windows.  Again.

From TPC: fingerprints (mine) due to pointing out neat birds ...

Well now, isn't this reincarnation very curious. Makes one wonder.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 16:29 by bccs »

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 14:52 »
Welcome back Eye-spy...thought you dropped off the face of the earth.

Camera in Grand Forks would be nice.

Offline Eye-spy

• Project
  • Chick
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 19:16 »
Hmmm.  Is too bad they dont have a camera.......

I like Grand Forks.
I have cameras.
Hmmmmmm.

Road trip !!!  ;D

Back seat.  I just cleaned the windows.  Again.

From TPC: fingerprints (mine) due to pointing out neat birds ...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:36 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 12:47 »
 ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 21:18 »
Hmmm.  Is too bad they dont have a camera.......

I like Grand Forks.
I have cameras.
Hmmmmmm.

Road trip !!!  ;D

Offline Eye-spy

• Project
  • Chick
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 20:42 »
Hmmm.  Is too bad they dont have a camera.......

I like Grand Forks.
I have cameras.
Hmmmmmm.

Offline Leana

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 23:10 »
Sadly I didn't get the chance to detour past the water tower and see how these guys are doing.  Hope they are OK.   :-*

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 17:00 »
Interesting. It's happening more and more now, so that the birds can be tracked. 8)

From what you posted I am assuming you think they mean a new type of satelite tracking or maybe they are just the regular numbered and coloured bands.  I don't see anywhere in the article where satelite transmitters were mentioned.  

Not satellite I believe, radio transmitters I think, so they have to be close to a find the signal .. but I'll see if I can't find out more ...

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 09:34 »
ANY pictures would be wonderful. When I first started taking pictures with my little point and shoot, the birds were mostly specs and blurs, but I still loved them because THERE was the falcon. I could prove that I had seen it with my very own eyes.

My husband recently encouraged me to upgrade a little. So I purchased the Nikon Coolpix with 26x zoom. I love it. I can see better with it than with my 10x binoculars!  I still get a lot of blurry shots, but I do get a few good ones.

I also have a Nikon Coolpix P100 with 26x zoom, it's a great little camera and user friendly.  I used it at the Brandon banding yesterday to take video.  ;)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 09:28 »
ANY pictures would be wonderful. When I first started taking pictures with my little point and shoot, the birds were mostly specs and blurs, but I still loved them because THERE was the falcon. I could prove that I had seen it with my very own eyes.

My husband recently encouraged me to upgrade a little. So I purchased the Nikon Coolpix with 26x zoom. I love it. I can see better with it than with my 10x binoculars!  I still get a lot of blurry shots, but I do get a few good ones.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 09:03 »
Interesting. It's happening more and more now, so that the birds can be tracked. 8)

From what you posted I am assuming you think they mean a new type of satelite tracking or maybe they are just the regular numbered and coloured bands.  I don't see anywhere in the article where satelite transmitters were mentioned.  
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:13 by RCF »

Offline Leana

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 22:43 »
Thanks for the info Dupre!  Now I definitely want to go check them out on Sunday.  Just wish I had a better camera...  :-\

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 15:21 »

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 14:34 »
Here's another little blurb with a photo:

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 14:21 »
Three chicks for Rossevelt and Terminator....
Tracy, is this going to move the the Manitoba section?

http://und.edu/news/2012/06/peregrine-falcon-chicks.cfm

Here is the text:

Raptor researchers band peregrine falcon chicks at UND

Students and biology faculty from the University of North Dakota and the University of Minnesota-Crookston took part in a rare scientific opportunity Wednesday, June 13, 2012, analyzing and banding three peregrine falcon chicks that recently hatched at the tall UND water tower.

The raptor researchers, led by UMC's Tim Driscoll of the Urban Raptor Research Project, monitored the chicks' health and drew blood samples that could be used to check for avian diseases. The researcher use special types of metal bands attached to a leg on each falcon to keep track of them. Driscoll said.

Susan Felege, assistant professor of biology at UND, also was present to lend support and expertise to the project. Apart from raptor research, Felege also is involved in another interesting project in the North Dakota oil patch, where she is studying environmental impacts on nesting and mating habits of sharp-tailed grouse.

On June 13, Driscoll, Felege and several others watched as the peregreine nestlings were carefully lowered down the more than 100-foot-tall water tower to the waiting ams of the researchers, all the while, the chicks' parents – Roosevelt and Terminator – circled worriedly overhead. Once finished, the researchers returned the falcons to their nest -- a bit frightened but unharmed.

Roosevelt and Terminator have been nesting at the tower since about 2009. The eggs were laid in April and hatched in late May. The mating pair has produced six other chicks.

Researchers say there is only one other mating pair of peregrine falcons in North Dakota. The other pair lives in Fargo. There are dozens throughout Minnesota.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 11:33 »
That's great, Leana! Keep us posted. :)

Offline Leana

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 22:49 »
I'm heading to Fargo for the weekend.  Hope to swing by the GF water tower on my way home to check in on these guys.  Not sure if they are old enough to be peeking out of the nest yet, but I'll check.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 23:35 »
Here is another article:
http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/13927/publisher_ID/30/

Published May 29, 2012, 07:46 PM
By: Associated Press,

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) — A pair of peregrine falcons appears to have once again hatched young in a nest atop the University of North Dakota water tower in Grand Forks.

The pair produced three youngsters each of the past three years in the nest.

Bird watcher Tim Driscoll tells the Grand Forks Herald (http://bit.ly/K9sQsf ) that he has clear evidence that the falcons have hatched at least two young. He says the female stopped flying off the nest to feed about a week ago, and instead is receiving food from her mate.

Driscoll says he recently found egg shells below the tower.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 23:47 by dupre501 »

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 23:16 »
https://secure.forumcomm.com/?publisher_ID=1&article_id=362448&CFID=523533980&CFTOKEN=56353660

Grand Forks’ peregrine falcons appear to have added to brood
Published 05/29/2012, INFORUM

GRAND FORKS - Roosevelt and Terminator appear to have added to their family once again, as Grand Forks birdwatcher Tim Driscoll reports “clear evidence” that the resident peregrine falcons have hatched at least two young.

To continue reading the full text, purchase this article or subscribe to PressPass

I didn't purchase the article, so I don't know what the rest says.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 13:44 »
Wow! Very good that you saw one of the birds in Grand Forks from the ground, birdnut! I find it to be so exciting to visit a nestbox in another city! :D I have visited the Calgary and the Ottawa nestsites, when visiting friends.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:47 »
Taken Sunday, April 29 from the ground just beside the tower.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
UND Tower - 2012 / Roosevelt & Terminator
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:32 »
Don't know where to put this....

From the Grand Forks Herald,

"They can’t say for sure yet, but local birders seem fairly convinced that Terminator and Roosevelt have returned once again to Grand Forks. The peregrine falcon couple, a local item since 2009, was spotted this week nesting atop a tower on the UND campus, where they were relocated from their original domicile on the late “Smiley” water tower."

These are Smiley's parents, if I got the family tree right.

Took a little shopping trip to Grand Forks and Fargo for the weekend, thought I better check this out.  Stores don't open until 12:00 and had to be out of the hotel by 11:00, so I tortured my family and made them take me to UND campus to check out the water tower. (My family does not share my bird passion - I often hear, "it's just a bird, Mom.")  Sure enough, some birdie was sitting preening himself on the tower. Dennis's Wowzer would have been able to read his ID tags.  He was cleaning his feet and kept on sticking them out for easy viewing.  I am guessing Mom was on the eggs.

I took a couple of pictures - just have to find the right cord to download the pictures off the camera.  Will post when I do.