Author Topic: UND Tower - 2012 / Roosevelt & Terminator  (Read 7673 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: UND Tower - 2012 / Roosevelt & Terminator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 11:33 »
That's great, Leana! Keep us posted. :)

Offline Leana

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 22:49 »
I'm heading to Fargo for the weekend.  Hope to swing by the GF water tower on my way home to check in on these guys.  Not sure if they are old enough to be peeking out of the nest yet, but I'll check.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 23:35 »
Here is another article:
http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/13927/publisher_ID/30/

Published May 29, 2012, 07:46 PM
By: Associated Press,

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) — A pair of peregrine falcons appears to have once again hatched young in a nest atop the University of North Dakota water tower in Grand Forks.

The pair produced three youngsters each of the past three years in the nest.

Bird watcher Tim Driscoll tells the Grand Forks Herald (http://bit.ly/K9sQsf ) that he has clear evidence that the falcons have hatched at least two young. He says the female stopped flying off the nest to feed about a week ago, and instead is receiving food from her mate.

Driscoll says he recently found egg shells below the tower.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 23:47 by dupre501 »

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 23:16 »
https://secure.forumcomm.com/?publisher_ID=1&article_id=362448&CFID=523533980&CFTOKEN=56353660

Grand Forks’ peregrine falcons appear to have added to brood
Published 05/29/2012, INFORUM

GRAND FORKS - Roosevelt and Terminator appear to have added to their family once again, as Grand Forks birdwatcher Tim Driscoll reports “clear evidence” that the resident peregrine falcons have hatched at least two young.

To continue reading the full text, purchase this article or subscribe to PressPass

I didn't purchase the article, so I don't know what the rest says.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 13:44 »
Wow! Very good that you saw one of the birds in Grand Forks from the ground, birdnut! I find it to be so exciting to visit a nestbox in another city! :D I have visited the Calgary and the Ottawa nestsites, when visiting friends.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:47 »
Taken Sunday, April 29 from the ground just beside the tower.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
UND Tower - 2012 / Roosevelt & Terminator
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:32 »
Don't know where to put this....

From the Grand Forks Herald,

"They can’t say for sure yet, but local birders seem fairly convinced that Terminator and Roosevelt have returned once again to Grand Forks. The peregrine falcon couple, a local item since 2009, was spotted this week nesting atop a tower on the UND campus, where they were relocated from their original domicile on the late “Smiley” water tower."

These are Smiley's parents, if I got the family tree right.

Took a little shopping trip to Grand Forks and Fargo for the weekend, thought I better check this out.  Stores don't open until 12:00 and had to be out of the hotel by 11:00, so I tortured my family and made them take me to UND campus to check out the water tower. (My family does not share my bird passion - I often hear, "it's just a bird, Mom.")  Sure enough, some birdie was sitting preening himself on the tower. Dennis's Wowzer would have been able to read his ID tags.  He was cleaning his feet and kept on sticking them out for easy viewing.  I am guessing Mom was on the eggs.

I took a couple of pictures - just have to find the right cord to download the pictures off the camera.  Will post when I do.