Author Topic: Little Owl - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente  (Read 14529 times)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Little Owl - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente (2012)
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2012, 15:58 »
I checked out a few of the clips and it would appear that the pigeons are bigger than the adult owls, so it is a relatively little owl.

The pigeons were attacking the male adult and knocking him off of the outside entrance shelf.

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2012, 21:15 »
I have been following this site for awhile now and was feeling so bad when I thought the baby wouldn't make it. It sure is a feisty wee thing and sure is trying to survive. Also happy that "dad" found his way home to take over the "hunter gatherer"duties. I Can't imagine the other two eggs will be hatching as they were out in the cold when Mom realized she had to be both mom and dad.  One chick is better than none in her world.  Will have to keep an eye on them to see how it all unfolds. That wee one will be so cute in a week or two.  They have such cute expressions and a head on a swivel!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 20:02 »
GREAT NEWS!
The male has found his way back to the nest and resumed his role as defender and provider. Perhaps he thought he's take a quick trip to Vegas with the boys or something!

That IS great news, bcf! ;D Do you think there's any chance of the other chicks hatching or have they been left alone for too long a period? :-\

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 18:39 »
Such exciting news!!  First thing I did when I got home today, even before checking in on the Radissons :-[

Great news for mom and babe!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 17:15 »
Translated

HE IS BACK!
28 May, 22.10 hours: male owl is suddenly on the shelf a cockchafer bring to women's owl. Swift as an arrow he flies away, but my wife and little owl kuuk are over the moon. And he will more beetles and caterpillars spend the next few minutes ....... He was last heard on 25 May at 5.15 am, so about 65 hours away.

http://www.beleefdelente.nl/clips

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 16:59 »
GREAT NEWS!
The male has found his way back to the nest and resumed his role as defender and provider. Perhaps he thought he's take a quick trip to Vegas with the boys or something!

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 21:32 »
I swear s/he is growing. Isn't it funny when he falls over and the little legs kick in the air. Mommy is doing such a great job.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 21:22 »
Mom's been in and out a number of times, coming back with larvae and stuffing the baby.  He/she looks robust and hearty now.  :)  Very comical and roly poly...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 20:56 »
Little one is all alone in the nestbox at the moment, with only the unhatched eggs to keep him/her company. Very sweet to watch him/her try to sit/stand up. Keeps falling over. I am rooting for this little one too. :-*

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 16:24 »
Oh me too, bcf!  I find that little chick's story so compelling!  The mom seems determined to keep it going on her own and I'm sure that many folks around the world are rooting for that wee guy/girl!

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 15:52 »
I watched for a long time last night. She left several times and returned with Larvae of some type that are plentiful and easy to catch (according to the website). It should not be too long before she can leave the little one alone for longer and hunt for larger prey that the chick will need. I hope the little one can hang in there for a while and get to that point. The website monitor feels that the other eggs will not hatch, it has been too long. The last thing she needs is more hungry mouths to feed. I still hope and pray for this pair.

Offline Helen b

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 09:29 »
yes just saw her witht he little.  Still hope that all will continue to be good

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 09:23 »
Now I can see the little chick, moving around. Looks like maybe Mama is preening it. :-\ Interesting, it looks as if Mama has tucked the other eggs back under her now.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:25 by Kinderchick »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 09:17 »
So nice to hear that the chick is still alive and hopefully thriving. :D Mama is on the nest right now, trying to catch a few Zzzzzz's, I think. I haven't yet had the luck of seeing the lone chick. I guess Mama has abandoned the other eggs. She is no longer incubating them.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 21:56 »
Just looked in on this nest in time to see the mom leave for a few minutes and the chick was not only alive, but cheeping and moving around like it was yesterday!  Then I watched the clip showing that the mom brought in food four times in an hour, so it looks like she's been able to feed the baby on her own.  I can't understand the comments, but it seems that there is quite a bit of controversy about whether or not people should be intervening to help feed the chick.  This is excruciating to watch if that baby isn't going to be able to survive with only one parent... :'(