Author Topic: AB / Edmonton - Bell Tower - 2012-17  (Read 19226 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Alberta / Edmonton - Bell Tower - 2017
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2017, 23:41 »
The current resident female at this location is a Manitoba-hatched bird.  Squeak is the daughter of Jolicoeur (aka Joli) and Hart from the Logan territory.  She was hatched in 2014 and was named in honour of the beginning of Canada's participation in World War I (you can read more here).  2017 is her first year nesting anywhere and we hope she'll be back for many years to come.

Because of her point of origin, we have moved this board to the Manitoba Birds section of the Forum for this nesting season.

This topic has been moved to the Bell Tower, Edmonton, Alberta board in the Manitoba Peregrines section of the Forum

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Alberta / Edmonton - Bell Tower - 2017
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2017, 23:37 »
2017 NESTING SEASON

Bell Tower
Edmonton, Alberta

webcam: http://www.ab-conservation.com/wildlife-cameras/peregrine/bell-tower-peregrine-camera/

Resident Pairs & Offspring:
  • will post info soon

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Alberta / Edmonton - Bell Tower - 2016 / Big Red & E4
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2016, 00:14 »
june19

Well our girl is banded and is 31 days old tomorrow. She is all over the ledge which is a worry as there are workers. I am hoping  they can be persuaded to stop for about 2 weeks.

E4 has been so good. I am so happy she was given this  opportunity. all 4 of her eggs hatched out, and will go to Pembina. she is 14 this year. We do nto know how much new male is helping but he is in a lot . I think he is scared of the kid  ;D

it has been fun to watch as E4 wanted to brood her so bad and the kid had no choice :-*

here is slideshow of some of yesterday

here is a slideshow of some of today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm1sy4VgSD8

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2016, 22:56 »
This is all very interesting. Thanks for all the updates. :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2016, 06:18 »

So today DR. Court, gave her an older chick and we are hoping for good outcome.

Dr. Court truly cares about falcons, I believe.

I would be very disappointed if this doesn't work out for E4 and the new male, but I think it will.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2016, 00:55 »
JUne 3

yesterday and today were good days. WE knwo we will bumps along the way but hopefully not too many

here is a slideshow with some of today's photos

put full screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATqBV7z3zjU

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2016, 00:53 »
well day one was not a great one. the first feed did not come till just before 10pm. E4 is great with the chick, but the male has let her down. WE monitored carefully and all was going so well, but he seems to have stopped in his tracks today. if feed had not  come in, it  may have been the  first and last day for chick here.
had a great feed. and at 12:03 am , she went out an brought more. she has it at box. breakfast I hope.

so we will see what tomorrow brings.

pictures from  today.

first look at chick(she leaves 4 eggs and comes back to a teenager)

male only showed up to steal quail

he takes it away

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2016, 00:51 »
thanks soaring WEst for coming in here.

YOU will notice we have a chick at Bell. this has been a difficult set of circuamstances. It has been in process since eggs were replaced with dummies.

the fact of the matter is, they are dong repairs on Bell building shortly and will have to go up right in front of openings. this would not be a good thing for 4 chicks .They are citing public safety for work at this time.

E4 is a capable female and this was never an issue. She is a great femlae. One of the best, i know . Very protective . location not the best for chicks but such is the urban trap .

the new male , has been doing what he should. E4 has been fed , he goes to box and yesterday he was by eggs 3 times and this morning , once already. so that was not  an issue either.

The decision was made that she deserved to have a chick. She is 14 years old and has produced a lot of young over the years, bu tthe chick had to be able to self -regulate its temperature , in case , adults have to be off ledge .

So today DR. Court, gave her an older chick and we are hoping for good outcome.
watching her try and brood her this morning was precious. It had different ideas.

I will post pictures later

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2016, 18:53 »
E4 had four eggs , came back and had a teenager in the nest. :)

Funnily enough, that doesn't seem to phase them in the least!!  Loved watching them when we added foster chicks to nests, it was like they were counting and then shrugged it off and it was back to normal!

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2016, 11:23 »
June 1
Dr. Court gave them a larger chick to have, and took out the dummy eggs.
At first E4 was trying real hard to tuck it under her, to no avail.
Then she figured out that if she put her wing up on the board the chick could fit under(like a tent)
but, she still wants to shimmy the chick under her, that won't happen.
E4 has feed it a few times, but I have not seen much of the male after he stole the quail that Dr. Court stashed right by the nest.
E4 had four eggs , came back and had a teenager in the nest. :)
When Bev has time she will give a better update.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:26 by soaring west »

Online RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2016, 18:44 »
Thanks for the update Bev! Hope things workout for these two!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2016, 09:03 »
a few pciutres

new male
when he first cam ein he looked real scrawny but obviously eating well now

male scrapes at entrance to box

short video of male bringing food to gravel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqARCuGmL54

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2016, 09:00 »
we have been observing round the clock here

last Sunday evening was first time we had inclining something was amiss here.  there was no kaking, nothing to show something was up. Peter and I had been down after Mothers Day brunch. everything looked fine.
Then big REd came tearing into opening on top of box.

And form there , we have a new unbanded male. I think positive. Just becasue he isn't here, does not mean he has met his demise. He loved his condo .

so no time to worry, as we have to monitor closely. they are also doing work on east face of building. so Dr. Court removed eggs on Tuesday and replaced with dummy eggs. this way, if things pan out here he can give her a chick or two . not a full clutch though.

things are going as they do when a new male takes over at this time. I have watched this at deMOrtel last year and al; turned out O.K.  this also happened at U of A 4 years ago. Chase came in , but it was a bit earlier. Radisson had just finished laying eggs.

this new male will not incubate. He is not there in his cycle. But he is bringing in food and E4 is staying with eggs. when she leaves, it is usually just for about 3 or 4 minutes. When she is gone longer, she is either eating or airing her wings.  the new male is in  constantly trying  to bond but E4 is not here either LOL so he comes in, she leaves, as as soon as he leaves , she comes back. you can see she is starting to realize she needs him.
He has been scraping but  at box entrance. this is O.K. when they are nested just in a box, they have no choice but to scrape in box, but he has so much more room. And he is close LOL

Peter and I went down yesterday to observe and saw both of them flying. I just wanted to make sure there were just 2 and as far as I could see there were. I had a friend on phone watching  box while we were down there .

So we will cross our fingers. As I said we do nto just have this issue , we have humans around box area ,putsde  working. So we will  watch and see. Hopefully she can have a chick or two

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2016, 18:35 »

We are having battles at the Bell and may have lost our male.

Battles are very difficult to deal with ... and so worrisome when you don't know whether or not they've survived. :'(

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2016, 13:50 »
We are having battles at the Bell and may have lost our male. The eggs were removed yesterday by Dr Court. We just hope that if the male has made it, that he does not go over to the U of A site. Radisson and Chase both go over there on their breaks to keep the area.

Just so we have information in the right threads (and where we need it  ;)) ... TPC