Author Topic: AB / Edmonton - Bell Tower - 2012-17  (Read 18895 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Alberta / Edmonton - Bell Tower - 2017
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2017, 23:41 »
The current resident female at this location is a Manitoba-hatched bird.  Squeak is the daughter of Jolicoeur (aka Joli) and Hart from the Logan territory.  She was hatched in 2014 and was named in honour of the beginning of Canada's participation in World War I (you can read more here).  2017 is her first year nesting anywhere and we hope she'll be back for many years to come.

Because of her point of origin, we have moved this board to the Manitoba Birds section of the Forum for this nesting season.

This topic has been moved to the Bell Tower, Edmonton, Alberta board in the Manitoba Peregrines section of the Forum

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Alberta / Edmonton - Bell Tower - 2017
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2017, 23:37 »
2017 NESTING SEASON

Bell Tower
Edmonton, Alberta

webcam: http://www.ab-conservation.com/wildlife-cameras/peregrine/bell-tower-peregrine-camera/

Resident Pairs & Offspring:
  • will post info soon

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Alberta / Edmonton - Bell Tower - 2016 / Big Red & E4
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2016, 00:14 »
june19

Well our girl is banded and is 31 days old tomorrow. She is all over the ledge which is a worry as there are workers. I am hoping  they can be persuaded to stop for about 2 weeks.

E4 has been so good. I am so happy she was given this  opportunity. all 4 of her eggs hatched out, and will go to Pembina. she is 14 this year. We do nto know how much new male is helping but he is in a lot . I think he is scared of the kid  ;D

it has been fun to watch as E4 wanted to brood her so bad and the kid had no choice :-*

here is slideshow of some of yesterday

here is a slideshow of some of today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm1sy4VgSD8

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2016, 22:56 »
This is all very interesting. Thanks for all the updates. :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2016, 06:18 »

So today DR. Court, gave her an older chick and we are hoping for good outcome.

Dr. Court truly cares about falcons, I believe.

I would be very disappointed if this doesn't work out for E4 and the new male, but I think it will.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2016, 00:55 »
JUne 3

yesterday and today were good days. WE knwo we will bumps along the way but hopefully not too many

here is a slideshow with some of today's photos

put full screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATqBV7z3zjU

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2016, 00:53 »
well day one was not a great one. the first feed did not come till just before 10pm. E4 is great with the chick, but the male has let her down. WE monitored carefully and all was going so well, but he seems to have stopped in his tracks today. if feed had not  come in, it  may have been the  first and last day for chick here.
had a great feed. and at 12:03 am , she went out an brought more. she has it at box. breakfast I hope.

so we will see what tomorrow brings.

pictures from  today.

first look at chick(she leaves 4 eggs and comes back to a teenager)

male only showed up to steal quail

he takes it away

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2016, 00:51 »
thanks soaring WEst for coming in here.

YOU will notice we have a chick at Bell. this has been a difficult set of circuamstances. It has been in process since eggs were replaced with dummies.

the fact of the matter is, they are dong repairs on Bell building shortly and will have to go up right in front of openings. this would not be a good thing for 4 chicks .They are citing public safety for work at this time.

E4 is a capable female and this was never an issue. She is a great femlae. One of the best, i know . Very protective . location not the best for chicks but such is the urban trap .

the new male , has been doing what he should. E4 has been fed , he goes to box and yesterday he was by eggs 3 times and this morning , once already. so that was not  an issue either.

The decision was made that she deserved to have a chick. She is 14 years old and has produced a lot of young over the years, bu tthe chick had to be able to self -regulate its temperature , in case , adults have to be off ledge .

So today DR. Court, gave her an older chick and we are hoping for good outcome.
watching her try and brood her this morning was precious. It had different ideas.

I will post pictures later

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2016, 18:53 »
E4 had four eggs , came back and had a teenager in the nest. :)

Funnily enough, that doesn't seem to phase them in the least!!  Loved watching them when we added foster chicks to nests, it was like they were counting and then shrugged it off and it was back to normal!

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2016, 11:23 »
June 1
Dr. Court gave them a larger chick to have, and took out the dummy eggs.
At first E4 was trying real hard to tuck it under her, to no avail.
Then she figured out that if she put her wing up on the board the chick could fit under(like a tent)
but, she still wants to shimmy the chick under her, that won't happen.
E4 has feed it a few times, but I have not seen much of the male after he stole the quail that Dr. Court stashed right by the nest.
E4 had four eggs , came back and had a teenager in the nest. :)
When Bev has time she will give a better update.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:26 by soaring west »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2016, 18:44 »
Thanks for the update Bev! Hope things workout for these two!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2016, 09:03 »
a few pciutres

new male
when he first cam ein he looked real scrawny but obviously eating well now

male scrapes at entrance to box

short video of male bringing food to gravel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqARCuGmL54

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2016, 09:00 »
we have been observing round the clock here

last Sunday evening was first time we had inclining something was amiss here.  there was no kaking, nothing to show something was up. Peter and I had been down after Mothers Day brunch. everything looked fine.
Then big REd came tearing into opening on top of box.

And form there , we have a new unbanded male. I think positive. Just becasue he isn't here, does not mean he has met his demise. He loved his condo .

so no time to worry, as we have to monitor closely. they are also doing work on east face of building. so Dr. Court removed eggs on Tuesday and replaced with dummy eggs. this way, if things pan out here he can give her a chick or two . not a full clutch though.

things are going as they do when a new male takes over at this time. I have watched this at deMOrtel last year and al; turned out O.K.  this also happened at U of A 4 years ago. Chase came in , but it was a bit earlier. Radisson had just finished laying eggs.

this new male will not incubate. He is not there in his cycle. But he is bringing in food and E4 is staying with eggs. when she leaves, it is usually just for about 3 or 4 minutes. When she is gone longer, she is either eating or airing her wings.  the new male is in  constantly trying  to bond but E4 is not here either LOL so he comes in, she leaves, as as soon as he leaves , she comes back. you can see she is starting to realize she needs him.
He has been scraping but  at box entrance. this is O.K. when they are nested just in a box, they have no choice but to scrape in box, but he has so much more room. And he is close LOL

Peter and I went down yesterday to observe and saw both of them flying. I just wanted to make sure there were just 2 and as far as I could see there were. I had a friend on phone watching  box while we were down there .

So we will cross our fingers. As I said we do nto just have this issue , we have humans around box area ,putsde  working. So we will  watch and see. Hopefully she can have a chick or two

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2016, 18:35 »

We are having battles at the Bell and may have lost our male.

Battles are very difficult to deal with ... and so worrisome when you don't know whether or not they've survived. :'(

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2016, 13:50 »
We are having battles at the Bell and may have lost our male. The eggs were removed yesterday by Dr Court. We just hope that if the male has made it, that he does not go over to the U of A site. Radisson and Chase both go over there on their breaks to keep the area.

Just so we have information in the right threads (and where we need it  ;)) ... TPC

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2016, 18:37 »
a lot of nest sites have 5 eggs. there were a lot of them this year. I do nto like 5 eggs but I have no control  ;D

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2016, 15:27 »
5th egg?  If so, that's very unusual.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2016, 10:49 »
egg 4  late april 25

lots of nest exchanges here

There may a fifth egg. it is so hard to tell here

here is confirming 4

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2016, 01:17 »
egg number 3

april 23 things appear to be going well. lots of exchanges

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Alberta / Edmonton - Bell Tower - 2016 / Big Red & E4
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2016, 16:24 »
here is her taking food to box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qz3bWYbdhA

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2016, 16:23 »
we have 2 eggs here also. and we know it is E4 and Big red , just by habits

Egg number 2 spotted by my friend at 5:30 am april21 but going lookin gin DVR now

time  was about 4:07am april21. may have been a bit earlier but that is what I could pinpoint

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2016, 01:39 »
we knew we may have an egg and cam went up today afternoon and we have egg1

we will now have to try and figure out when

when cam first went up I know this was an egg

and night cam confirmed it

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2016, 01:37 »
2016 NESTING SEASON

Peter and I worked hard to monitor this site from ground and we knew we had a pair here this year

a few pciutres form april17

female

female in the stance

canoodle

male flies off

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Alberta / Edmonton - Bell Tower - 2015 / Big Red & E4
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2015, 18:09 »
we found E4 about two weeks ago.

Gord went down after kids were born at U of A and found a pair of falcons on Telus toll building. ( he knew this would be a good time to scour area) you can see Bell ledge from there. When he went up there were 3 chicks and a dud egg.

yesterday morning he went up to band and there were 3 female chicks and he ID E4 . He is not sure , till he checks pictures if it is Big Red or not. He swept area clean as he does not want them nesting there again. It is a real bad area but E4 was ready to drop eggs and so I guess , to get away form conflict, she went there.
 we do know there was a fight down at Bell and we believe it was females. we know Big REd came back a few times briefly and then no more and cam is frozen, so who knows.we think Big red was trying to persuade her back but too late

Offline soaring west

• Chick
Alberta / Edmonton - Bell Tower - 2015 / Big Red & E4
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2015, 14:09 »
2015 NESTING SEASON

We have major construction in the area and there is terroritial fighting going on downtown and no nesting at the camera area as of today.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Alberta / Edmonton - Bell Tower - 2014 / Big Red & E4
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2014, 22:31 »
it was a hard year here this year. Lots of human , unnecessary interference...

I have prepared a video of the year . Red and E4 were great parents, under bad circumstances

this site really tears at my heart. We need to do more here. I just do not know quite what yet.
E4 and Big red were perfectly capable parents but they had to deal with human stupidity.

I am not quite sure how we deal with that.  But I will do what I can to keep cams up and in order.

but here is a review of their year.
I hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CjVNHNfQ3Q[/youtube]

Thanks for the video/slideshow, bev... It does sound as if E4 & Big Red were good parents. They did the best they could, under the circumstances, as did you & Peter. :-*

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2014, 19:58 »
it was a hard year here this year. Lots of human , unnecessary interference.

Our adults did the best job thye could wiht all hat was going on. Peter an dI and a firned noticed that the kids were getting antsy and adults not feeding till later in day, which had kids very unsettled. so Peter and I went down and Day before July 1 we noticed ropes for window washers in  on side of nest box area. the adults were nto going near box. . they were on defensive.
just before we left we saw an adult go in with a big prey( around 6pm) and we confirmed by phone with a friend watching cam. first food of day for kids. let Gord know right away, and he phoned them as he wa going out of town. but when the cat is away the mice will play.
we have them on video, taking pictures of ledge and box from their platform, and talking etc. I cannot say the words I have for them.

so our kids were always well fed but very early in morning and later in day. the kids went out on ledge much to soon. They were looking for food and adults.
Gord could only band two as one was way out on ledge and he was not going to risk it falling. we were at banding and we banded one mlae and one female . by size, the other was a female.

So needless to say, kids were very all over the p.lace. And unfortunately cam went beserk ( could not see all of ledge we needed to )but we think we had two survive. On the day of our fledge watch at U of a , I saw 2 kids accidentally go off ledge. Peter went down and looke d for them, and Gord looke d and so di d securtiy. We did nto find them but by watching cam and a faithful friend watching, we know we had one returning and getting and getting fed and maybe two.( we wre looking at size) then cam went dead.

And now they will be building a huge , high , glass skyscraper on west side o f Bell. It is suicide there as far as I am concerned. but I wil nto get into that.

I have prepared a video of the year . Red and E4 were great parents, under bad circumstances

this site really tears at my heart. We need to do more here. I just do not know quite what yet.
E4 and Big red were perfectly capable parents but they had to deal with human stupidity.

I am not quite sure how we deal with that.  But I will do what I can to keep cams up and in order.

but here is a review of their year.
I hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CjVNHNfQ3Q[/youtube]

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2014, 17:47 »
Your pics are great, bev! As you have said, the chicks look to be well fed. :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2014, 16:20 »
they have been eating more duck and little things with long legs , than pigeon but there are enough pigeons here LOL

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2014, 21:27 »
Wonderful little chicks! I think I am glad I am not a pigeon in Edmonton.  :-X

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2014, 21:18 »
any doubts about them bein g fed ;D

family photos(re d is in insert on ledge)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2014, 13:24 »
Red is still learning to be a goo d provider but it is coming. and these kids are not starving

will post more on weekend

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2014, 08:25 »
Breakfast!  ;D

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2014, 13:23 »
Mom did a good feeding in the late morning, but like E4 , she is a door and could not see if chick number 3 got anything. She feed the other 2 well, but the little one was on the cameras' right side and she was not showing us.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2014, 13:06 »
Third chick hatched around midnight last night.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2014, 19:48 »
Second chick hatched this morning around 6am.

Mom stuffed them with pigeon around 6:15pm.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2014, 16:44 »
Wow, that is a super deluxe scrape.  Smiley has to learn how to make one of those!!

I guess they don't call him "Big Red" for nothing! LOL! ;)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2014, 11:28 »
Wow, that is a super deluxe scrape.  Smiley has to learn how to make one of those!!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2014, 10:47 »
First hatch this morning and I was lucky and caught a nest exchange.  :-*

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2014, 10:58 »
so far so good. We did have an intruder to ledge May 14 but all ended well.

this is why we always keep an eye

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2014, 22:36 »
E4 has been identified as our female again
Big Red is the male . He is a 2011 captive bred. But great thing is he was hacked on Pembina in 2012 and has made it. He is turning out to be a very goo d mate

cam has been down this weekend and we do expect egg will be there when cam goes up

egg1- may3-1:21pm
egg2 may5-10:03pm
egg3 May8-7:55am

if we see egg 4 - it will probably be May10-later in day

We did have Hamish back but he was run off by Bog Red. Hopefully he is O.K.
E4 after egg 3

here is Big Red

you can look at anything in my albums. I do not only have Bell and U of A so you may have to sift through

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2014, 11:04 »
E4 and Big Red now have 3 eggs.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
AB / Edmonton - Bell Tower - 2014-15 / Big Red & E4
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2014, 09:53 »
2014 NESTING SEASON

Bev our intrepid Edmonton spotter has been keeping an eye on this site during our downtime and will undoubtedly post updates shortly.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Edmonton - Bell Tower - 2013 / ? & E4
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2013, 17:47 »

Can you believe, that late at night, the chick grandma went out to check. :)

Oh yes soaring west, I can believe this.  Bev is such a trooper when it comes to helping these amazing Falcons!!

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2013, 10:23 »
Last night I went to Bell tower, and sat for about 10 minutes before I heard the sound. For all of you the Bell ledge is way up there(reminds me of the friendly giant). But to the east was one flying and landed on the ATB tower ledge, than came the feather clouds raining down. Then as I moved the truck one started to decline slowly from the same area and l thought it was going to land on the truck, but turned and landed on a short building in front of me. Than noisy one with food came in and than left with it. I ran around to the front and found one eating on the upper ledge of that building. I than went to the parkade to get a better look but it was not in the same spot. Scanned one end to the other and found one down on the lowest part of the building and could not jump up to the ledge to get out. Than raced home to find Bev`s phone #.

Can you believe, that late at night, the chick grandma went out to check. :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2013, 12:27 »
going down right  now to see what I can see.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2013, 12:59 »
Great videos.  Thanks for posting them Bev.  Wow they sure have a lot of room in that nest.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2013, 12:16 »
this is a long video but it shows th e progression  of a self feed. they all get fed and mom gets chased .
Youngest female gets in end
I edited or it would have been an hour :-*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efmCGDEH_Jw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUwWRpd4cSFeXt13squpW4Pw

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2013, 12:12 »
one picture

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2013, 12:06 »
another series of shots

click on picture and scroll to right 3 pictures

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:10 by bev. »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2013, 12:05 »
I cannot make it down there til Monday./ Cam is down and I worry about these 3 onfledge . so many Glass buildings. they should be fledging now

Oldest is 43 days old , youngest is 40 days old

some shots click on picture and scroll to right

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2013, 22:40 »
the 4th chick is doing well and wil be hacked with others along the pembina river. a great site dn it is monitored 24 hours by a falconer. He even swam the  river last yer to get one that had come too low.

I will update here tomorrow.

all 3 females  are doing very well. they are behaving and stayng put. I have some great video.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2013, 22:54 »
It's great to get an update on that fourth chick.  Thanks, RCF.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2013, 20:07 »
Any news if the fourth chick was male or female?

I never read anywhere on their FB page or BCAW what the gender of the fourth chick is, sorry.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2013, 19:53 »
Any news if the fourth chick was male or female?

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2013, 19:38 »
On June 25, 2013 the Bell Tower chicks were banded.

All three chicks are female. The fourth chick, which was removed from the nest shortly after hatching, is doing great and will be released later this summer on the Pembina river along with other juvenile peregrines, who will hopefully decide to return there in the next few years and repopulate the natural nesting cliffs. We will keep you updated as these chicks fledge in the next month.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151442466367462.1073741826.275085277461&type=1

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2013, 19:33 »
thank You RCF for the pictures,

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2013, 16:26 »
Stuffed!!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2013, 01:43 »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2013, 01:42 »
Thanks soaring west. I try and get here s soon as I can

The chicks are getting well fed now. DAd even fed yesterday.

I am baffled by lack of food the day 4th chick hatched and the next 3 after that. The only thing I can think of is that he got slightly injured and had to rest, as he was therewhen  Peter and I went down and saw him, day after Gord took chick out.. and we heard him, but not right after 4th hatch or day after.

Now I have noticed that mom stays there more with chicks as you hear dad whining and  off she goes and comes back with prey, or dad brings it to her.

she still goes off occasionally and hunts a big one, but 34 stories is a long way for male to hoist a bird.
lots of food so all are getting well fed

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 13:26 »
Bev. reported that the chick is doing ok and will be part of the hack program.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2013, 22:36 »
Glad to hear the remaining 3 chicks in the nestbox are doing well, bev. :) Any update on the chick that Gord removed? How is his/her care going?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 22:38 by Kinderchick »

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2013, 11:39 »
I found it interesting to read your reports Bev.  Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 23:54 »
ll is going well. Regular feeds and chicks growing.
Gord is taking care of number 4 and it will part of hack release program . this is a goo d thing

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2013, 19:54 »
this is when we had 4 chicks (first day and I thought all would be well) but it was not meant to be. Gord will take care of wee one well

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2013, 19:22 »
It is good to hear that feedings are happening, and that the remaining chicks seem well. 

Thanks for the update, Bev, and take care.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 18:44 »
all is looking good today for chick born on June 3. We were worried about him also but he is feisty and gets himself right to front, and three is more food today.
male has called from ledge few times and she has gone an d brought in small prey and then she brought in big one

click on photo and then go right  an d left for others from today

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2013, 18:39 »
 a video from last night when  male brought foo din but then stole food LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBVvP8OPfHE

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2013, 18:30 »
here are some photos from when we were down there - there is one photos and now click on arrow to left and you will see all the others click on picture first and then you will see arrow to left

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2013, 18:27 »
yesterday, Sunday june9 Peter an d I went down as we had not heard or seen male and no food since early morning

here is report ... Well, i left with a pillow and took muscle relaxants and my pain killers and headed down to Bell.  Emyrauld  took notes and watched cam at home and I am so glad my friends here came through also things were off today. I had not heard male and female kept getting of f kids and going to ledge and back. no feed had been had since early in morning. so I was concerned if we had 2 falcons still. I think we have all learned that we cannot take things for granted. my times are approximate as I was looking and then writng

Well we got there at about 3:30. There was a falcon on the ledge and true to form, it would go  in and then back to ledge.  We did not start taking picutres till later as we were too busy scouring area for falcons. Lots of pigeons and gulls - then this one , from E notes, it was female, started to fly around  the building  an dthen out south a bit and then back to ledge, then inside and up on ledge again. and then flew off and flew around area and then soared above us and then was off out north and out of sight

3:40pm -then we saw another falcon flying and land on ledge( this had to be male) We are sure we have 2 now ( as we did not see one that flew way out north return)Then this falcon went inside.it is the male

3:50pm - m came on to ledge and then went back inside

3:51pm - back on to ledge again  

3:54pm- we now see a falcon flying and soaring above the Epcor building a bit to north  of Bell .I t was great to see it flying and soaring and then it soared behind Bell and then above Bell and then flew onto ledge from southwest( female)  . We now see male to left of it also. ( E reports talking between falcons at that time)

3:57pm - She flew off and headed south and went out  of sight between tall buildings
other falcon (M) flew off and went around TD building and then out east a bit and then back and I lost sight of it at TD building. But no one returned to ledge. So we waited. rain and all. We have 2 falcons. no aggression, comfortable with each other

We had a guy from bus depot try to hit us up for money. Unlucky him, I was in no mood today. I would have bought him lunch but not given money. Funny how they just want money, no food.

About 4:15pm falocn flies in with prey in talon, lands on second ledge over and then takes off again and flies around building, to  east  of Bell and then around back of Bell and back up to ledge of Bell and inside. We know  that this was Female.  so male is around TD building somewhere And I heard him on ledge jsut a bit ago.  so all appears well for now 

I think this male is new this year and is young and is in training. I have never seen him feed yet but i f you look back, you will see a video of him doming in with food twice while female was there and want to fee d chicks. He is a cutie. I thin k we just had 2 chicks at the time

Pictures coming. 

I could use a little less drama this year and I do not think I am going  to get it.  And yes , all got fed well. Little one got fed towards end of feed. he shou d be O.k. no wbut I will continue to monitor  Female here just chups and male has more of a whine. Female has white tip on tail feathers

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 18:24 »
I e-mailed Gord on Friday late afternoon and told him that our 4th chick was in trouble. So early Sat morning Gord went and removed it and the egg. He wastes no time so to cause as little disturbance as possible. Gord e-mailed me to let me know  that it was right call. It was just feeding of f egg yolk and would not have lasted much longer. so with proper feeding it should be fine.It weighed 25 grams , which Gord said  it meant it probably was 30 grams at birth.  I  watched very carefully because I do not want to be alarmist.  It was born on JUne 6 . that night I saw female give it a feed by itself, but on June 7 mom was off and on quite a bit and one chick was on its own for over an hour. It was not small one though. during the 2 feeds that day, little one got none as others wer on top of him. By time he got loose , food gone.  Sat morning it could lift head so I was so glad to see Gord.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2013, 22:31 »
Went down to Bell Tower to watch. Them flying . They are much higher then the nest at U of A. hard to tell who is who.

I hope you took your binoculars with you.  8)

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2013, 22:17 »
Went down to Bell Tower to watch. Them flying . They are much higher then the nest at U of A. hard to tell who is who.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2013, 23:37 »
I watched that at .25 speed and was amazed at how quickly Dr Court accomplished that retrieval.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2013, 23:20 »
The last hatched/fourth chick was removed from the nest today.

This is posted on the cam page.
Chick update: The smallest chick wasn't doing well, so Dr. Gordon Court retrieved it this morning, (June 8th) and is caring for it right now. The size difference between the chicks was just too much and it was not getting enough food. Dr. Court is an internationally respected peregrine expert, so the chick is in the best possible hands. The egg was removed as well because it's definitely not going to hatch. We'll find out more and update everyone on the chick's progress when we know more.

Chick being removed from the nest ~ http://youtu.be/oNUdpRh6Qkk
Video by skygirlblue

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2013, 17:35 »
Ok, I found it,  The Bell Tower has 4 chicks today..... :)

Yayyyyyyy!!!!  ;D

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 13:24 »
Ok, I found it,  The Bell Tower has 4 chicks today..... :)

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 13:23 »
Because both the Bell and U of A or on the same camera link, I don`t know where to post, that the Bell Towerth has 4 chicks today.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 18:25 »
Feeding at the Bell Tower right now

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 22:46 »
Great to see number three!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 21:58 »
hatch number 3 at 8:16pm june3

she did not show much but you can see shells an d pink under her every once in awhile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzGd1JB8HGE

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 14:40 »
Wow fine dining for the chicks at the Bell Tower ... Radisson kids generally don't get shorebirds until they are closer to banding age ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 14:09 »
thanks for ID RCF . We could not figure it out. I have never seen one of those here

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 09:11 »
Thanks for posting these videos, bev. And you sure do know your PF fine dining birds, RCF! Most of the time, all I recognize is pigeon kraft dinner. ;)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 08:02 »
feed for 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV3B0nFmZvg

Great pics and vids, Thanks bev!  :) That looks like a yellow-headed black bird.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 01:51 »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 01:46 »
here are some of photos - 12:06pm hatch - shell cracked

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:53 by bev. »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 00:47 »
We have two chicks on Bell tower.

You can see the wet pink baby between the eggs.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 22:55 »
First hatch here this evening.

Short video just after hatch ~ http://youtu.be/n9SPTIFDV7I

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 15:51 »
Was that Dad leaving and the expressive, camera happy Mom arriving?

I am not sure, it could have been the same one leaving and returning.  ???

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 15:38 »
Was that Dad leaving and the expressive, camera happy Mom arriving?

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 13:04 »
Yes RCF, luv this photo. Wonderful scrape, contents, and expression!

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 07:35 »
What a fantastic photo RCF! 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 22:24 »
Wow! 5 eggs! :o This Mama & Papa will be busy if all the eggs hatch. And what a great looking scrape! :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 22:06 »
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 22:58 by RCF »

Offline gran2496

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 18:04 »
Thanks for the clarification, I was curious since I know that noise would drive me nuts!!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 20:22 »
I'm wondering why the falcons would choose to nest at such a noisy site.  Does the noise bother them at all? 

Often doesn't seem to.  We had a pair nest one year right beside church bells.  They only did it once, so it may have been too loud for them to nest a second time there.  Might be a similar situation here ... but not their first year there, so maybe not ...

Offline gran2496

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 14:05 »
I'm wondering why the falcons would choose to nest at such a noisy site.  Does the noise bother them at all?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 00:01 »
Gord is hoping to get a cam set up there on Friday. It depends on whether he thinks he will be too disruptive

Pete rand I will  try and have another look this weekend. We knew we did to see any at usual place a few weeks ago.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Edmonton - Bell Tower - 2013 / ? & E4
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 19:25 »
2013 NESTING SEASON

Nesting Falcons have laid three eggs on ledge of Bell Tower

photo from the Edmonton Journal

Edmonton Journal - Nesting falcons have laid three eggs on ledge of Bell Tower

CAM LINK = Bell Tower Peregrine Cam
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 22:26 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Edmonton - Bell Tower - 2012 / ? & E4
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 16:14 »
There is just one hatch so far, E4 moved off the nest and I can see one chick and three eggs still. :)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 10:49 »
It almost looks like there are two chcks under E4.  :-\

http://youtu.be/H7PvMB28Jf0

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 10:41 »
They have four eggs and one hatched this morning.  :)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
AB / Edmonton - Bell Tower - 2012-17
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 10:37 »
2012 NESTING SEASON

Location - 34-story Bell Tower,  or Canada Trust Tower, Canadian Commercial Bank Tower in downtown Edmonton

Cam Link http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/index.cfm/media/peregrine-cam/cam-1-bell-tower/

E4 (female) - Born and raised on a natural sandstone cliff, Red Deer River, summer 2002
unidentified (male)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 11:00 by RCF »