Author Topic: Selkirk Peregrines - 2012 / Ty & Paris  (Read 15642 times)

Offline Pense

• Hatchling
Re: Selkirk Peregrines - 2012 / Ty & Paris
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 10:41 »
That's great news about another nesting pair in Manitoba!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 10:10 »
I should have said earlier that until July 24th, had no idea this nest existed - Lila P, a fan of the falcon cams back to Ty's day (what a conincidence!) emailed me about falcons near her home.  I couldn't get out right away but a friend of mine who lives in Selkirk (Chris B) said he would take his camera and take a look.  He called to say they were peregrines (they are his pictures I posted) so I scuttled out very early the next day to check them out - and lo and behold, three birds waiting out the rain.  When the rain ended, I hung out for a bit longer, in part to dry out before driving home, in part in hope that the birds would preen and stretch after sitting for so long getting wet.  And they did.  First the bird lower down stretched but all I could see was the silver band I'd been watching.  Then he moved his other foot back and I could read his band with the spotting scope.  He stayed like that for a couple of minutes so I was able to read it a few times and write it on the back of my hand for safekeeping.  The female was up higher and the angle and light weren't good but I thought, why not see if I could at least get a glimpse since I had one band.  She just sat and preened and I thought, nope, not going to work.  Seemed like forever, actually it was about 10, maybe 15 minutes when she decided to stand up and stretch a bit, not a full stretch, wings and tail and feet, which was good because I'd never had been able to see past the support structure she was sitting on - instead just a little foot stretch and I could see both feet clear as day - huge feet (so confirmed it was the female - she's not that big a bird) and not a band in sight on either foot. 

As for their choice of nestsite - nope, don't suspect it has anything to do with Ty's nestledge upbringing in this case.  The site is at one of the higher structures around town, none of which have anything the birds can nest on - sort of the same situation at the Brandon Tower, no place on the tower to nest normally, but with a crow's nest, suddenly there is at least a surface of sorts.  Nothing about this site is reminiscent of the nestledge, so I think it was a case of best options.  We are going to talk to the structure's owners about the potential for installing a nestbox so long as it won't be a hazard or interfere with their operations at the site.  I think with a box, this site could be a safer site if birds want to use it in the future.  Without the box, I'm not sure how safe this crows' nest (which is now at least 3 years old according to my information) will just become more unstable and unsafe and I would hate to take a chance with these birds if they came back next year.  So I suspect the nest will come down whether or not a box goes up.  Fortunately we are working on other boxes here in Winnipeg which might be an alternative for Ty and Paris if they return.  Would love to have a pair in Selkirk though - near the river, near lots of wetlands (Netley-Libau and Oak Hammock), has busy streets but not terrifyingly so.

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 07:21 »
Another one of Trey's and Princess' kids just reappeared on a nest.  This time it is in Selkirk in a crows' nest that is in very bad condition.  Bad enough that I believe it was cause of the death of a chick at about banding age.  That was about two weeks ago.  There appears to have only been two chicks that survived to banding age at this site - the chick I mentionned and the chick that looks to have just fledged in the last few days.  That's our best guess at least.

Awesome to know that a chick that we watched a couple years ago, had returned to the Manitoba area, nested and had 1 surviving chick.  Goes to show you the efforts of the project are so worth it!  ;D

Offline MayShowers

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 07:16 »
Keeping secrets on us now TPC :-X Just kidding, I totally understand that a new nestsite would be fragile and you wouldn't want to attract any more attention to it than possible.  How exciting to have another nesting pair in Manitoba.  Great to see Ty back and even more wonderful to hear that one of their chicks made it to fledge.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 05:15 »
That's great news about Ty returning to nest in Manitoba 8)  and very sad news about the death of the one chick.  :(

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 00:26 »
How exciting to have all grown up and handsome Ty back and in action!

I wonder if the non nestbox like choice of nest reflects Ty's early life influences of the Tupperware nest on the side ledge?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 23:53 »
Here is our first and maybe only photo of Ty's and Paris' chick ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 19:03 »
The male is Ty, 2009 wild-hatched male from the Radisson Hotel, from the last nest of Trey and Princess.
His siblings are Tupper (we've had no reports on him) and Vesper (died Jan 2011 in Texas).

Don't have a photo of Ty from this year yet, but I do have this one from 2010 when he hung with Sandy at the Radisson in the Fall ...

In appearance, I think perhaps he looks more like Trey than many of Trey's other kids, but I need to watch him a bit more before I would say that for sure.  
Just an impression looking at him this year.

Check out the gallery at http://www.pbase.com/speciesatrisk/radisson_101009&page=all
(on the gallery photos, note the white/light feathers on the back of his head - he still has those!)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 17:38 »
The female is unbanded and I have named her "Paris".

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Selkirk Peregrines - 2012 / Ty & Paris
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 17:36 »
Another one of Trey's and Princess' kids just reappeared on a nest.  This time it is in Selkirk in a crows' nest that is in very bad condition.  Bad enough that I believe it was cause of the death of a chick at about banding age.  That was about two weeks ago.  There appears to have only been two chicks that survived to banding age at this site - the chick I mentionned and the chick that looks to have just fledged in the last few days.  That's our best guess at least.