Author Topic: Selkirk Peregrines - 2012 / Ty & Paris  (Read 15516 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Selkirk Peregrines - 2012 / Ty & Paris
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2012, 14:35 »
Chick is back in Selkirk at the nestsite and we are keeping an eye on the site to make sure the adults accept him back without problems.  Its purely preventative, we haven't ever had problems with parents accepting a rehabbed chick so no reason to think there might be one here, but we want to make sure since neither of the parents were at the site when we dropped the chick off.  Chick had had a meal in the morning (quail of course) and we put him somewhere safe at the nestsite, so his immediate needs (food, water and safety) were fulfilled.

The chick is male (as you have guessed  :)) and small for a male but given that Ty isn't big and nor does it look like Paris is either, not really surprising.  Very aggressive, didn't like Lisa and most certainly didn't like me during the banding.  Was happy enough to sit freely on my hand during his release so he's an interesting little terror.  We've named him Daer.  Lord Daer is the title given to the heirs of the Lords of Selkirk, so as a son of Selkirk it seemed appropriate to give him this name - particularly in the year of the 200th anniversary of the Selkirk Settlement and (hopefully) the first year of peregrine settlement in Selkirk.

A friend of mine took some photos at the banding (I had my hands full) and I'll post them in the next couple of days.

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2012, 20:13 »
Great pictures Dennis!!

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2012, 19:35 »
The year was 2009 when Ty was banded on the ledge with no close-up photos and it was exciting to confirm this for myself that he has returned, though he didn't want to perch a little lower down...perhaps another day.
Selkirk gallery has been started...  http://www.pbase.com/photosbydennis/selkirk
Hopefully I can revisit the location in the day's to come.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2012, 07:58 »
I know I'm late to the party but congratulations, what wonderful news!!   I'm thrilled to hear you have plans for more nest boxes TPC and are looking out for this pair especially! 

:-*

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 18:16 »
I am so appreciative of the effort TPC puts forth to keep us up to date on these details.

It seems this season has produced a lot of variety and some surprises in nesting, banding, fledging and hacking situations at the various Manitoba nestsites.  It has been very interesting to learn about different situations involved with aiding the peregrine species to recover.

Thanks, Tracy!!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 15:30 »
...When chick yells, food goes in...
LOL! Sounds a lot like my cat! ;) Seriously though, I was wondering, is the procedure much like feeding a hack box raised chick, TPC? How does one inhibit the bird from imprinting on humans while in rehab? Or does imprinting only occur if the chick has not yet fledged????

Imprinting on humans or other species only occurs when the chick is young.  The West Winnipeg chicks were imprinting on a location so they knew where to come back to for food and that occurs later in development.  For the Selkirk chick, it won't imprint in a nice way on humans as a result of its time in rehab - it doesn't like being around humans so chances are it will never really be happy when humans are around it or it's nestsite.  Not a bad thing since the chick is going back into the wild.  If the bird were non-releaseable, then the handler/falconer would need to spend alot of time convincing the bird that at least some humans aren't scary.

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 14:46 »
Hey, I have complete faith in you guys - It was just interesting  to imagine different scenarios... and best of all to then learn how it is done.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 12:21 »
...When chick yells, food goes in...
LOL! Sounds a lot like my cat! ;) Seriously though, I was wondering, is the procedure much like feeding a hack box raised chick, TPC? How does one inhibit the bird from imprinting on humans while in rehab? Or does imprinting only occur if the chick has not yet fledged????

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 11:31 »
Update on the Selkirk "kid" in rehab ... little terror doesn't want to eat as much as Lisa would like him/her to eat so they are going to make sure s/he eats today so we can get him/her back out to Mum and Dad asap.

The bird is fine, just being obstinate.  Good sign that it doesn't like people messing around with him/her.  :)
"They are going to make sure s/he eats today" 
Well that should be an interesting activity!!!  And how  do you do that...will there be photos?..standby first aid people for Lisa...
Good grief!

No photos  ::)  You guys and photos  ;)

Nothing so traumatic for either Lisa or the chick.  When chick yells, food goes in.  In order to yell again, food must be swallowed.  Yell again, more food.  That's a common technique, there are others that are a bit more medical in technique but they are all tried, true, quick and effective.  This chick is old enough to pull its own food apart and feed itself but it's being obstinate.  Evenutally it would eat but it doesn't like being in care and is as a result burning through its stored reserves quickly and we don't want it to do that as we want to get it back with its parents asap.

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2012, 10:33 »
Update on the Selkirk "kid" in rehab ... little terror doesn't want to eat as much as Lisa would like him/her to eat so they are going to make sure s/he eats today so we can get him/her back out to Mum and Dad asap.

The bird is fine, just being obstinate.  Good sign that it doesn't like people messing around with him/her.  :)
"They are going to make sure s/he eats today" 
Well that should be an interesting activity!!!  And how  do you do that...will there be photos?..standby first aid people for Lisa...
Good grief!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2012, 09:55 »

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2012, 09:07 »
Wow TPC, this province wide gaggle of teenagers has sure kept you busy this year. Thank you for keeping us updated.

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2012, 05:52 »
One of the Selkirk chicks is in rehab - not injured so either blown about in the storm yesterday or it was the second chick and first fledge was not ideal.  Means we will be able to get a band on at least one of these chicks and yes, I already have a name or two prepped and waiting to be used, but you will have to wait until after the chick has been banded and returned to the nestsite.  Not sure when that will be, we need to arrange schedules the rehabber and I and in the meantime the "kid" will be getting extra helpings of quail and its own private accomodations.

More news as I have it.
The "kid" love it!  Sounds like it just got shook up a bit during that nasty storm.  Hope it mends soon.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 15:17 »
Time to be the phanatics we are meant to be.....funding is required!

You are so right Alli, and now particularly with one in rehab getting room service.
500 dollars for the nest box, 5 dollars a meal, I think we should get busy and help out here.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 10:39 »
So glad to hear that one of the Selkirk chicks was not injured. Also glad to hear that you will be able to band one of them! :D