Author Topic: Radisson - 2014 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 78687 times)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: Radisson - 2014 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #756 on: October 03, 2014, 15:59 »
Possible/Probable sighting of at least one, maybe two, peregrines downtown this afternoon. As an aside, I recently moved offices such that while I used to be looking up at the sky from ground level, I'm now up in the sky and looking at the goings on from bird's-eye view. Quite different.

In any event, when I arrived back at my office after running an errand, it was reported to me by two office mates that they had been watching what they thought were two falcons flying around and acting all "lovey-dovey" to each other and they wanted me to confirm that these birds were indeed falcons. Unfortunately the two love birds had vanished by the time I got to the window.

I suggested that they may have been pigeons which have been rather plentiful in the skies over the last couple of weeks. My colleagues were indignant and adamant that the birds they saw were not pigeons.

Then as we were talking I saw one bird fly by that most definitely did appear falcon-like. I wouldn't swear it was any peregrine we know, I didn't recognize the bird's colouring or flight pattern. And that's because his/her flight was affected by the load s/he was carrying off - and that WAS a freshly caught pigeon.

I lost sight of her at that apartment building that looks like a milk carton at the corner of York and Carlton. I suspect that's where the meal was eaten.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #755 on: September 21, 2014, 20:08 »
I just want to let you know I have updated U of a , Bell and Weber to best of my ability right now. I will do Genesse in next few days

I know  how frustrating it is when you do not see your young after they fledge. Every year is different and it changes as adults change.
But Radisson is proof that just because you do not see them, does not mean things are not O.K. I have said this before.

let us hope all  our birds migrate safely and we see them at some site.

We have a female form the Mis in Edmonton nesting on Red Deer River and  a young male from  Weber nesting at the Mis.

have a great off season. :-*

sorry I was not here much but I did check in to see what was happening.
Bev

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #754 on: September 17, 2014, 10:43 »
Where is the photo taken from?
Great captures!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #753 on: September 16, 2014, 16:59 »
Thanks for posting the photos RCF!  Your capture was definitely the best from the video, well done!  :D

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #752 on: September 16, 2014, 10:13 »
Great screem capture RCF. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #751 on: September 16, 2014, 09:34 »
Wow! What great screen captures, RCF! Definitely a peregrine falcon, all puffed up for the TV camera. LOL! I wonder which bird it was? ???

I've been talking with the CTV folks to see if they have any additional photos ... not likely I know ... in case I can get an ID on the bird.  If I had to guess right now, looking at photos from this time last year, I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be Smiley.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #750 on: September 15, 2014, 22:44 »
Wow! What great screen captures, RCF! Definitely a peregrine falcon, all puffed up for the TV camera. LOL! I wonder which bird it was? ???

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #749 on: September 15, 2014, 19:42 »
This morning on the CTV morning show a Peregrine was sitting in front of their camera that faces the Forks.  At least I think it was the Forks.  I was so busy looking at the Peregrine Falcon.  It was very close up and it was defintely an adult.   I am not that good at telling them apart but I am thinking it was Princess because there were speckles all the way up his/her chest.  The bird must have been sitting there for awhile because when I saw it they commented on how he was still there.  The falcon filled the whole TV screen.  Feathers were blowing in the wind.   :)

Here's the birdie your talking about. I got a couple of screen captures.  :)

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #748 on: September 15, 2014, 10:10 »
This morning on the CTV morning show a Peregrine was sitting in front of their camera that faces the Forks.  At least I think it was the Forks.  I was so busy looking at the Peregrine Falcon.  It was very close up and it was defintely an adult.   I am not that good at telling them apart but I am thinking it was Princess because there were speckles all the way up his/her chest.  The bird must have been sitting there for awhile because when I saw it they commented on how he was still there.  The falcon filled the whole TV screen.  Feathers were blowing in the wind.   :)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #747 on: September 10, 2014, 19:43 »
Same thing today - Bird on Radisson West Nest ledge just before noon - quite light in colour. :)
Might not even be a Peregrine? Wish I'd had my binocs!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #746 on: September 10, 2014, 10:54 »
We are having technical problems with the internet connection to the Radisson at the moment so haven't been able to try and identify visitors, but I certainly hope to be able to again soon as this is the time of year when we sometimes get some surprises!!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #745 on: September 09, 2014, 22:44 »
After a summer of pretty much 'nothing'  :( - I was thrilled to see Somebirdie sitting on the West Nest ledge just before noon  ;D

That's great news, ballywing! :D

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #744 on: September 09, 2014, 15:12 »
I am glad that there is a sign of peregrine falcon life downtown. I thought I saw someone on the west nest ledge last Friday morning, but didn't trust my sighting without binoculars.

Smiley stayed until around the end of October last year, trying out the different nest boxes. I wonder if he will feel comfortable leaving earlier this year, now that he has established a residence and found a lady friend.  ;)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #743 on: September 09, 2014, 12:03 »
After a summer of pretty much 'nothing'  :( - I was thrilled to see Somebirdie sitting on the West Nest ledge just before noon  ;D

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #742 on: September 06, 2014, 13:20 »
Nice!