Author Topic: Radisson - 2013 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 130150 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2013 / Oct - Dec
« Reply #1540 on: November 12, 2013, 17:00 »
Smiley has been on the nestledge eating a couple of times today and roosting on the signs in the sun much of the rest of the day ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1539 on: November 12, 2013, 17:00 »
Perhaps he plans to tough out the winter and be the first to (try to) lay claim to the nestbox in spring ??? ???

Who knows ... we'll just have to wait and see ...

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1538 on: November 11, 2013, 08:55 »
Perhaps he plans to tough out the winter and be the first to (try to) lay claim to the nestbox in spring ??? ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1537 on: November 09, 2013, 22:23 »
On November 7th, we were cleaning out the nestbox for the winter and Smiley was hanging out alone on the east side of the Hotel.  Dennis managed to get a couple of very nice photos of him, he was, for a peregrine, quite cooperative. 

Smiley is still around, he was hunting and feeding on the nestledge again today though I did think while I was watching the snow fly past the cameras that perhaps he won't be here for much longer ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1536 on: November 09, 2013, 21:26 »
Unbelievable that there is still a peregrine falcon hanging around town. :o I guess we won't hear anything of Tenzing or Hillary since neither of them were banded, nor do they have a GPS monitor. Hopefully,  one of them will return to the area in the Spring. :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 21:30 by Kinderchick »

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #1535 on: November 05, 2013, 18:17 »
While passing through downtown around 2:30 today a lone bird came in from the East...went behind the Radisson then up towards the towers and made a circle and back down behind the hotel...perhaps he/she set down on the ledge or sign on the East side...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Cheers !

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1534 on: November 01, 2013, 22:16 »
Smiley was still at the Radisson today but I haven't checked the video so can't say if Joli was ... will review the recorder tomorrow and report on whether it appears she is still around.  Smiley's not been calling or bowing or scraping which might be an indication ...

Yesterday around 6 PM, I heard two falcons across my street in the Assiniboine forrest. By the time I dragged my dog outside for a walk, one was flying south, and the larger bird was sitting on top of a telephone pole making the usual screeches, but also a lot of quieter chips/peeps. Pretty sure they were Peregrines, but I now know merlins sound similiar, so could have been them. I was able to get right up to the pole, but the light was already too dim to make out the markings. Then he/she flew off. Pretty neat! 

I think perhaps you did have merlins CB just because of the where the bird was perched.  I know the area and it would be lower than the adults like to get but telephone poles are particular favourites of merlins right across the city, that an merlins are woodland falcons whereas the peregrines are open air - high over the cities, low over fields and wetlands.  I've also been getting reports on merlins observed/heard in the Moray to Shaftesbury area as recently as last week ... could well be your birds!

Offline closet birder

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #1533 on: November 01, 2013, 08:59 »
Yesterday around 6 PM, I heard two falcons across my street in the Assiniboine forrest. By the time I dragged my dog outside for a walk, one was flying south, and the larger bird was sitting on top of a telephone pole making the usual screeches, but also a lot of quieter chips/peeps. Pretty sure they were Peregrines, but I now know merlins sound similiar, so could have been them. I was able to get right up to the pole, but the light was already too dim to make out the markings. Then he/she flew off. Pretty neat!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1532 on: October 30, 2013, 11:31 »
Both birds sitting in the sun right now on the east side of the building.  Looks like Smiley on the ledge (his breast is whiter) and I think Joli sitting up on the sign ... going to watch "her" feet to confirm ...

Yup, definitely Joli and Smiley hanging out at the Radisson ... they have been doing some very very thorough preening today, for about the last 90 minutes and they are both sitting on the sign in the sun which I haven't seen them do much - not the close together part, but rather the preferring to sit in the sun rather than on the ledge/in the box - so comfort rather than their "courtship" rituals.  Might be a precursor to leaving ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1531 on: October 30, 2013, 10:13 »
Both birds sitting in the sun right now on the east side of the building.  Looks like Smiley on the ledge (his breast is whiter) and I think Joli sitting up on the sign ... going to watch "her" feet to confirm ...

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #1530 on: October 30, 2013, 09:20 »
And somebirdy was sitting on the logo on the east side Hydro building around about 3:00 p.m. yesterday. Smallish, so guessing a male.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1529 on: October 29, 2013, 12:32 »
Only one bird yesterday at the Radisson, one this morning and now two - both on the east side.  Smiley is on the ledge (confirmed), other bird is on the sign, but don't know who it is ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1528 on: October 28, 2013, 19:30 »
Did you mean Smiley   ???

Nuts, yes, Smiley NOT Ivy ... sigh, Mondays ....

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #1527 on: October 28, 2013, 19:24 »
Did you mean Smiley   ???

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1526 on: October 28, 2013, 15:15 »
I think perhaps that Joli has left ... Ivy has been on the nestbox most of the day and he hasn't been bowing or calling to anyone all day.  He visited the nestledge very briefly early in the day, but he was alone then too ... will keep an eye on him ...