Author Topic: Radisson - 2013 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 131811 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2013 / Oct - Dec
« Reply #1525 on: October 28, 2013, 09:00 »
What if they stay all winter??!!

Didn't Madame overwinter in her day?

She did - from 1990 to the mid 2000s.  If they stay all winter, next spring is going to be very very interesting ...  :o

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1524 on: October 27, 2013, 23:04 »
What if they stay all winter??!!

Didn't Madame overwinter in her day?

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #1523 on: October 27, 2013, 13:54 »
Did confirm today around noon (by band #) that Joli was having lunch with a friend (black over green band confirmed)...a strong wing and a split second take off didn't provide a clear band # other than black over green...can only assume that it was Smiley since TPC has a positive of him on the Radisson.
Makes me wonder just how long this late season romance will continue ??

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1522 on: October 27, 2013, 11:10 »
Still have Smiley and who I thought could be Joli (band colours were right but couldn't see numbers) in the west-side nestbox as of yesterday afternoon "playing" house.

This morning, have only seen Smiley at the nestbox (where I could see his band) but did see a male and female on the nestledge but too far away to even see if they have bands. 

Given the date and who has been here the last month, it is most probably still Joli hanging out with Smiley but I'm going to see if I can't catch a peak at her bands if she will cooperate today ... not likely but worth a try at least ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1521 on: October 24, 2013, 13:00 »
wow, still seeing falcons.

have been away but maybe I should go and check our sites.

but you are further south and closer to USA

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1520 on: October 24, 2013, 11:28 »
.... nope, took off with the remains of its meal like a gunshot ... not behaviour I would expect to see from Smiley who has been around all summer and certainly not from Joli who will never be considered a shrinking violet, even in peregrine terms.  I could see a purple anodized band on the bird's right leg but not so much a glimpse of the colour on the left leg (Joli is black/red, Smiley is black/green) but I did get a decent look and some screen captures of the bird's right side facial patterns, which could help, but only if the bird returns ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1519 on: October 24, 2013, 11:24 »
This is a very nervous bird ... hopefully I'll get a look at the band ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1518 on: October 24, 2013, 11:12 »
1112h - Whichever of the US birds is on the east side sigh (they have their back to me) they are either very hungry or in a mad hurry.  They are ripping apart a northern flicker with more, let's say, enthusiasm than I think I have ever seen a peregrine rip apart anything!   :o  And tucked up on the slash almost like they are afraid they will have to share.  Maybe the weather over the last couple of days and migration are making choices fewer and harder to catch.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1517 on: October 22, 2013, 08:49 »
This morning it is raining/snowing and it looks particularly miserable on the east-side nestledge except for the pretty little bird sitting there doing a little preening in the damp.  Something about watching a peregrine with snow on its head ... I wonder if this will be the last day we see one or both of these two birds ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1516 on: October 20, 2013, 23:45 »
Maybe they instinctively know that brains are a rich source of nutrition as they are made up of a high concentration of fatty acids. Brings a whole new meaning to the term "fat head"  ;D.

LOL! Good one bcf! ;D

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1515 on: October 20, 2013, 18:29 »
Maybe they instinctively know that brains are a rich source of nutrition as they are made up of a high concentration of fatty acids. Brings a whole new meaning to the term "fat head"  ;D.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1514 on: October 20, 2013, 17:51 »
Must be October - Brains, brains (the zombies call)

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #1513 on: October 20, 2013, 17:14 »
I understand that in Belgium, rabbit brains are considered a delicacy and family members often fight over who gets it at meals times.  Yuck.  To each his own, I guess.  Not for me.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1512 on: October 20, 2013, 11:54 »
Can't say why peregrines think the brains are the best, but you mostly see the head come off right at the start or you never see the head at all.  Males when they bring food to their mates will often leave on wings and legs which don't have any "meat" so to speak but the head will be missing.

I guess some of the heads I see on the ground at the McKenzie site would be lost treasure for the peregrines.  I do recall seeing the Brandon chicks picking away at the occasional head left in the nest box by the parents.   ;D

Maybe some brains are nicer tasting than others?  Not even going to think about how one would test that though  :-X

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1511 on: October 20, 2013, 11:54 »
As an aside, I know that when the wandering "outdoor" cats in our neighbourhood go after the baby squirrels in the spring, the first thing they do is remove the head & chow down. Not a pretty sight. :P