Author Topic: Radisson - 2013 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 131911 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2013 / Oct - Dec
« Reply #1495 on: October 14, 2013, 17:47 »
Okay, two US birds, both have purple anodized bands on their right legs - one is black/red, the other black green.  Haven't been able to get close to their band numbers, light isn't great today and neither of them have been cooperative.  The bird photographed by Global a week and a week ago was also black/green.  These two birds were scraping and bowing to one another on the nestledge ( :o ::) like we need more complications at the Radisson!!) so they may know each other in which case it might be a pair we haven't met yet.  Or it could be Smiley (black/green) and an unknown female (black/red) or maybe even Smiley and Joli (black/red).  With luck they will hang around for a couple more days and with the Radisson webcams back up and operating and some sunny weather we might get another look at them!

Thank you Eye-Spy for the cams & Dennis for bringing Wowzer on our road trip today!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1494 on: October 14, 2013, 15:21 »
Eye-Spy sorted the problem with our cameras at the Radisson and what do we see on the ledgecam - a bird with a black/red band and with the spycam another bird - an adult, male it looks like.  No peak at his/her band yet ... could be transients roaming through or maybe Cowboy & Joli or Smiley and someone else from the US or or or ... who said all the fun is in the spring!!!  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1493 on: October 14, 2013, 11:25 »
Is it possible that Beatrix has been having trouble catching birds, so she has resorted to catching the Giant Water Beetles for food? ???

No, if she had problems catching birds she wouldn't still be alive, the peregrines need a lot of fuel, can only go a couple of days without food before dehydration starts to kick in, another day or two before their systems start feel the lack of food.  She's made it through two full years, four migrations and she looks great and she wouldn't have been able to do all that if her hunting skills weren't good.  In fact, the fact that she can catch Giant Water Bugs (they are bugs, not beetles) on the wing is a pretty good demonstration of how good her hunting skills are - granted they aren't speedy flyers but they aren't big either.  When I've been on the road at this time of the year, I've found them dead on sidewalks in towns in southern Manitoba, but I don't know anything about their lifecycle so maybe this is the time they start flying looking for ??? and the opportunity for slow, small protein packs was just too good for her to miss.  Back in the early 1990s, we had lots of grasshoppers and I watched fledgling chicks hunt them like crazy around their hack site, so insects are not new menu items, just more opportunistic menu items for those who want to take advantage of them.

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #1492 on: October 14, 2013, 10:21 »
Is it possible that Beatrix has been having trouble catching birds, so she has resorted to catching the Giant Water Beetles for food? ???

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1491 on: October 12, 2013, 23:14 »
Would be so awesome if Beatrix set up housekeeping somewhere in Winnipeg next year ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1490 on: October 11, 2013, 20:57 »
Any news of the ID of the PF spotted outside a Global Newsroom window a few days ago, TPC? ???

I've had a couple of photos emailed to me, but all I can say is that it is a black over green band but can't say if it is Smiley or not.  Another black/green past visitor is Sandy, so could be her or could be an entirely unexpected bird, like Beatrix ... I'm hoping to get a few more photos ...

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1489 on: October 11, 2013, 16:24 »
Any news of the ID of the PF spotted outside a Global Newsroom window a few days ago, TPC? ???

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1488 on: October 11, 2013, 12:49 »
Saw Somebirdie surveying the kingdom from the West Nest Ledge at high noon today!  ;D ;D

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1487 on: October 10, 2013, 22:07 »
Was driving west through the downtown area around 1:00 PM today when I spotted a peregrine falcon perched on the east nest ledge. :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1486 on: October 10, 2013, 13:36 »
So does that mean she is likely on her way south from a location north of Wpg? Wouldn't make sense she came up here from somewhere south at this time of year.

Not necessarily, peregrines are not that north-south/east-west in their movements I'm afraid.  We have had birds moving great distances in all directions in short periods of time only to return to their starting point a few days later.  If she had been in a city or regularly around a town, likely someone would have read her band number and reported it to the proper authorities and we would have been notified about her by now. Given her age, she could have spent the last year anywhere on the Canadian Prairies or even in the US Midwest.  Given what we know about non-breeding peregrine behaviour, she mostly likely has been hanging out at a favourite wetland (like Lily did in the Minot area) or she was moving between wetlands.  And we have lots of very large and many, many smaller wetlands in this part of the country - parts of Alberta, much of Saskatchewan, much of southern and central Manitoba and parts of North Dakota, Minnesota and South Dakota are in the Prairie Pothole Region which has literally millions upon millions of small pothole wetlands in agricultural lands that are perfect for nesting waterfowl.  It would be as simple as deciding what you like to eat and hopping from wetland to wetland snacking as you go. 

And it is not unusual for us to spot birds in town at this time of the year that we haven't had reports on at any other time or from any other location.  Ones that we know about include Madame from Cedar Rapids, Sandy from Fargo, Smiley from Grand Forks, Luck from Brandon, Ty from the Radisson and now Beatrix from the Radisson.  Before the webcams and Dennis' cameras, there were probably others that over the years we just couldn't catch/identify!

Offline closet birder

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #1485 on: October 10, 2013, 12:18 »
So does that mean she is likely on her way south from a location north of Wpg? Wouldn't make sense she came up here from somewhere south at this time of year.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1484 on: October 09, 2013, 15:10 »
Dennis watched her catch small birds/insects over and over and over again - fast, agile and very efficient.

Not small birds but rather large insects ...

Dennis was looking through his photos and it was bugs Beatrix was hunting so diligently - Giant Water Bug (Lethocerus americanus) in fact - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethocerus_americanus

I thought they would be kind of nasty tasting so I talked to a wetland naturalist and she too thought they would be bitter tasting.  Obviously not, or not to Beatrix at least, from Dennis' description, she was targeting the GWBs specifically and this location has lots of other food options available for her if she wanted it.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1483 on: October 09, 2013, 14:07 »
Beatrix from 2011 just turned up today in West Winnipeg much to Dennis' and Wowser's delight.  She's still small it seems but she looks like her mom (Princess).  She is also the first of Ivy's and Princess' kids to be confirmed to make it through the first 12-18 months.  And it seems that she has inherited her father's hunting abilities - Dennis watched her catch small birds/insects over and over and over again - fast, agile and very efficient.

for more information, check out this post on the West Winnipeg board

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #1482 on: October 09, 2013, 10:13 »
Awesome photos.  Lucky people.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1481 on: October 09, 2013, 09:49 »
Somebirdy at Portage & Main yesterday according to this blurb on the Global website!  ;D

http://globalnews.ca/news/887114/photos-falcon-drops-in-for-breakfast-at-global/

Bird in the photo has a black over green band so could well be Smiley or it could be Sandy or it could be another visitor from the US passing through on migration.  I have contacted Global in hopes of getting a higher resolution photos to see if I can figure out who it may or may not be.  Will let you all know.

Thanks for posting this Bally!