Author Topic: Radisson - 2013 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 130271 times)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Radisson - 2013 / September
« Reply #1465 on: September 17, 2013, 18:06 »
I saw somebirdie today around noon - Sitting on the north facing Rogers sign  ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #1464 on: September 17, 2013, 09:53 »
are Ivy an d Princess still in area

I'm afraid I haven't been to connect to the cams at the Radisson for about a week which usually means our connection with our computer has been disconnected - usually is by mistake.  Usually Ivy stays around until about this time, maybe a wee bit later so I suspect he is still around.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1463 on: September 16, 2013, 16:46 »
are Ivy an d Princess still in area

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1462 on: September 07, 2013, 19:41 »
This is a little late but someone on BCAW posted a video of Hillary fledging.

http://youtu.be/tmF8KeEG1zI

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1461 on: September 05, 2013, 16:17 »
Was walking in the downtown area today around 2:00 PM & spotted a peregrine falcon on the east nest ledge. :D Couldn't tell for sure which one it was. I didn't have my binocs with me, unfortunately.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2013 / August
« Reply #1460 on: August 31, 2013, 15:14 »
1515h - There is a severe thunderstorm watch for Winnipeg but nothing so far, still 28C/82F right now but it seems the humidity is dropping.  On the nestledge, Ivy is on the drain cover preening and alternating between watching and napping lightly.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1459 on: August 26, 2013, 18:57 »
1845h - was just watching Ivy on guard on the nestbox edge and Princess entirely preoccupied with cleaning her toes on the nestledge.  Methinks Ivy brought home the pigeon tonight but Princess isn't interested in bowing and making scrapes on the sunny side of the building in this heat.  Smart bird - too hot and humid to want to do much of anything right now!

Offline Jan

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #1458 on: August 17, 2013, 14:07 »
He doesn't hang around too long - maybe 5 mins. - but he knows I'm on the other side of the glass.  It's a real treat for a few minutes!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1457 on: August 16, 2013, 14:32 »
You & F2F are very fortunate to have these visits from Smiley, Jan. 8) How long does he hang around? I wonder if he's eyeing the Radisson nest box? :-\

Offline Jan

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #1456 on: August 15, 2013, 11:58 »
Had another wonderful visit from "Smiley" this morning.  Quite sure now that it is Smiley as I saw part of the black legband over the green on his left leg.  He sure makes a lot of noise to alert me he has arrived!  Have 2 balconies but he always lands on the smaller one.

Offline Feather2Fin

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #1455 on: August 13, 2013, 23:19 »
Over the last couple of weeks, I have had 4 visits on my balcony from, I believe, Ivy (green tag on left leg).  Gets my attention from all the loud yaking!  Wonderful to see!

That behavioural description sounds like Smiley.  He used to come to my balcony but since I took his photo and the flash went off (I hadn't planned for that to happen), he hasn't been back.  I'm curious if he is still around.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1454 on: August 13, 2013, 16:37 »
Looked a lot like Smiley but I don't recall the black band over the green.  Maybe he will come back & I can have another look.  Thanks.

Often the feathers high on the legs cover the top part of the band so it can be difficult to see the black.  At present there are no only green leg bands in use for peregrines, so dollars-to-doughnuts that its a black over green band.  Hope "he" comes back and that you get a second look at his feet - good luck!

Offline Jan

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #1453 on: August 13, 2013, 11:45 »
Looked a lot like Smiley but I don't recall the black band over the green.  Maybe he will come back & I can have another look.  Thanks.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #1452 on: August 12, 2013, 14:49 »
Over the last couple of weeks, I have had 4 visits on my balcony from, I believe, Ivy (green tag on left leg).  Gets my attention from all the loud yaking!  Wonderful to see!

Sorry Jan, no green on Ivy (even though his name is green-ish).  So who might your visitor be?  If the bird is dark slate-grey/almost black and white/off-white and there is green on a leg band like the photo below (thanks Feather2Fin) - then likely your visitor is Smiley.  He is from Grand Forks and has a black over green legband, not a colour combination we use here in Manitoba. Click here for more info on Smiley. 

If your visitor looked like the bird below then your visitor was likely La Peregrina one of the female chicks from West Winnipeg. (the bird in the photo has tape on its right leg, but La Peregrina has it on her left)  The green in this case is electrical tape and will come off in the next few months. (thanks PhotosbyDennis)

Offline Jan

• Past Member
  • Hatchling
« Reply #1451 on: August 12, 2013, 12:38 »