Author Topic: Radisson - 2013 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 130126 times)

Offline Doreen

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Radisson - 2013 / March
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2013, 08:18 »
Welcome home Ivy!  :D

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2013, 06:16 »
Well, well, well ... Here we go again - "As the world turns". That downtown Radisson nest box sure is prime real estate! ::)

I don't mind a little soap opera, but I really, really don't want to be a bloody soap opera like last year!  :'(

Very happy to hear we are seeing the return of our falcons. Don't like hearing that Ivy is playing the game "Red rover, Red rover, would Jules please come on over" Hopeful that :) Princess returns soon to keep our Radisson Royals in tact.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2013, 22:34 »
Dennis had a look at my webcam screen capture and concurs that Ivy is home ...  :)

Ivy seems to want to play "house" with every female who arrives in his nestbox - Sandy a couple of times, another black-banded bird last year and now Jules.  If you didn't know this, one could almost mistake his accepting nature (the cad) for familiarity, like he had spent time with her during the winter.  And no, there is no evidence of that, he leaves before she does in the fall and we have no idea where either goes when the leave the province and its a big world out there!

But maybe we will have another year of "As the Peregrine Flies" ...  ::)

Offline Tess

• Egg
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2013, 20:37 »
Wow, looks like things are getting exciting in Winnipeg!  I wonder what will happen in Brandon ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 20:10 »
Well, well, well ... Here we go again - "As the world turns". That downtown Radisson nest box sure is prime real estate! ::)

I don't mind a little soap opera, but I really, really don't want to be a bloody soap opera like last year!  :'(

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2013, 20:00 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2013, 19:32 »
Oh, I think Mrs Beau is considering not only a change in location but a change in "beaus" ... looks like the male she was with could be Ivy!!  I've got Dennis taking a look at the fuzzy image I manage to catch of his band number while he was running out of the nestbox so we'll see what he says before I confirm the male's identity.  If Princess comes home and Jules is still here it will not be a happy occasion.  Jules is a "nands-on" kind of bird as is Princess ...

Just as a reminder, Jules' first mate was Ivy - they were unsuccessful (yes, they tried to nest "there") but he was her first "beau" so to speak.

Is this usual?  Well, when birds have left sites (and mates) it has been to move in downtown.  T-Rex left Burnsie his mate of a few years to take over the Radisson with Madame with whom he had a summer fling the year after he hatched.  Holly took up with Keener-Screech then welcomed Zeus back after he spent the year "batching" it.  Trey spent two years in Winnipeg waiting for an opportunity to move in at the Hotel when he could, and it worked and he did.  And most recently, Ivy ditched Jules when he moved downtown to the Radisson and Princess.

If she did take over downtown, what would that mean for Beau?  Oh, I don't think he would have any problem finding a lady friend, he's a very good-looking peregrine, older and experienced - exactly what any lady peregrine would be looking for.

But let us not get ahead of ourselves ...

Offline Baffled

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2013, 19:16 »
Could Jules be visiting the Radisson nestbox with an eye for upgrading her real estate?

Would it be typical for a falcon to move, with a previous mate like Beau (who has been seen in West Winnipeg this spring, yes?), to a new nest site? Would she typically have to fight for the Radisson nestbox?

How exciting to know that the birds are returning!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2013, 19:16 »
 :o  Maybe they've decided that this is where they want to live for the next 6 months. :o

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2013, 18:44 »
AAAKKKKK

Female in the nestbox is JULESSSSSSS   

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2013, 18:43 »
1844h
Bunch of bowing going on right now in the nestbox ...

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2013, 18:41 »
WHOOPEE!  :-* They're ba-a-a-ck.  Now the fun begins. Looking forward to getting out there and watching these lovely birds.  ;D :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2013, 18:00 »
Cooper is quite right, first bird came in at about 12noon and had a quick look around and then later in the afternoon there were two birds - looked like one female and one male. 

Male does look like Ivy but he wasn't staying still long enough for me to get a look at his legband.  The coloured band is on his right leg which is the "right" leg for Ivy, but also for Beau for that matter. 

As for the other bird, looked larger and was very leery of the outside-box cam which is something Princess is not.  Also the bird's breast is white, not like Princess at all.  Couldn't get any kind of look at that bird's legbands.  Could be Sandy, could be Jules ...

Going to post some video on the Project's YouTube Gallery and you can look for yourselves.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 15:58 »
Woot! Somebirdie is home downtown. Just saw someone on the perch on the Kensington Building at about 3:30 p.m. I'd guess Ivy...looking svelt.   8)

I actually thought I saw a bird there earlier in the afternoon, but couldn't say for sure given the angle I was looking.

But for sure at 3:30!

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 22:04 »
Someone should have showed up here by now....right?
Usually yes, but it's stayed cold so maybe instinct is keeping them away?  Someone will show up soon  :)