Author Topic: Radisson - 2013 / Ivy & Princess  (Read 130125 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2013 / March
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2013, 17:33 »
Okay - bird in the box looks like it has a red or a black over red band on one leg.  Can't be sure as I'm watching it on the recorder and our outside box cam is acting up.  Looked like a female by the size, but maybe Beau?  He's as large as most of our female peregrines so I would hate to say for sure one way or another.  I'm really hoping the bird comes back and I can zoom in with the skycam .... I love this time of the year, but unfortunately can't be in front of the cameras all the time, no matter how much I would like to be ...

Only had that one visit so far today ... going to keep my fingers crossed for one more today ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2013, 16:51 »
We've had a couple of short visits to the nestbox, second was just the male who looks just like Ivy (not able to read his band this time) and the first one was of a male and female - and the female didn't look to have any bands and she had a white breast/belly ... so I'm thinking it was Jules again ...

... no conflict and nothing scary going on-camera so all is still good at this site ...

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2013, 14:33 »
Glad to see some of last years have returned.

I know what it feels like. Every year I wait and hold my breath. we have one so far in Edmonton but do not know if passing through or not. I do not know if it has been to box but did see one in area and we were too googoo eyed to take picutre ::) ::) I will not be able to go down again till tomorrow. have grand kids. but wil psot on Edmonton as soon as i know

so let us all hope for  a great season. :-*

Offline Helen b

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2013, 13:35 »
great to hear the birds are returning, another great year.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2013, 13:23 »
Would love to see Princess back again, just once more - she's the Matriarch of the Radisson!  :-*....but I guess after 10 or so years, she's getting a bit long in the tooth for all the travelling & egg bearing & kiddie raising......one more successful season would be lovely, but if not - we'll imagine her enjoying retirement somewhere in the sun with Trey,  and know that she left on a good strong note, leaving lots of descendants to boost the Peregrine Recovery Program and for us to enjoy!  (Still hoping to see her though) ;D  :P

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2013, 11:09 »
Well, well, well ... Here we go again - "As the world turns". That downtown Radisson nest box sure is prime real estate! ::)

I don't mind a little soap opera, but I really, really don't want to be a bloody soap opera like last year!  :'(

Couldn't agree more! Come home safely everyone and STAY THAT WAY!

Offline Baffled

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2013, 10:35 »
I agree with other posters that it is very positive that falcons are returning, and returning to this fantastic location, which has had so many successful nests and provided such an opportunity for the public to learn about these beautiful birds.

Many thanks again to the Peregrine Recovery Project, the Radisson, and CBC Manitoba.

And of course, I'm very interested to see who will decide to pair up and nest at the hotel this year. Exciting times!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2013, 23:24 »
What excitement!!!  It's still early yet folks...to me, it's just nice to know that falcons want this location, so, all in all, it's a positive in all directions.  I prefer to see Princess back, of course, to "lock talons" with Ivy, and have Beau and Jules to their thing in West Winnipeg, but, birds do what they want to do and we must respect their wishes.  Still very exciting that the birds are finally back, after a long winter...We shall see what this next week holds!  (c'mon Princess....sorry, had to put that in)   ;D

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2013, 21:23 »
I'm happy that anybirdies are here, no matter who they are.   :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2013, 15:30 »
I don't remember when Princess returned in previous years, in relation to the others...TPC...?

She's not late yet.  Ivy usually returns earlier than her in the spring and Jules is notorious for arriving 1st or 2nd each year.  Ivy has only been home for a day, give it another week minimum before you start to worry/wonder. And it will depend on whether or not Jules wants to abandon Beau and West Winnipeg for Ivy and the Radisson and if Ivy will accept Jules and if Beau decides to not contest Ivy for the Radisson territory.  So we wait and watch and see what happens.

And Jules is just one choice for downtown.  Jolicoeur if she returns is just as likely to take over at the Radisson if Princess is absent.  Or Sandy could reappear, we know she likes the nestbox!  Or it could be someone entirely new ... that is the nice thing about this time of the year, so many possibilities!

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2013, 14:03 »
So, I'm sure on everyone's mind is: will Princess come back?  I guess there will come a time when she decides to stay down south and retire from her motherly duties...And I guess that Jules would be the logical one to take over as the ruler of the Radisson territory...but are we ready??  Will we ever be ready?  It's nature, so whether we're ready or not, it'll be what it'll be... :-\

I don't remember when Princess returned in previous years, in relation to the others...TPC...?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2013, 13:59 »
Checked the recorder and it looks like we had a visitor to the nestbox at about 6:30am this morning - I think it was Ivy but it was too dark to say for sure.  It's 2pm now and there hasn't been anyone at the box since.  However, the sun has just come around the building so its warmer there now and drier as the hoar-frost is melting quickly.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2013, 11:40 »
tsk, tsk, tsk..worse than high school in the 70's!

Ooh, and that wasn't great for some of us.

Whatever the circumstances though, it is great to see the regulars back and healthy after their winter migration.

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2013, 09:31 »
So glad to hear of the return of some of our falcons and do hope there is not too much drama here when Princess arrives.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2013, 08:43 »
tsk, tsk, tsk..worse than high school in the 70's!