Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2013 / Beau & Jules  (Read 60351 times)

Offline maryann

• Falcon Fan
  • Egg
Re: West Winnipeg - 2013 / May
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2013, 10:56 »
There is a lot of mention of 'Bleachers' and 'the diner' and I know we want the location kept from public knowledge. Just wondering if they are in the same location as previous years? I don't know what the cryptic location names mean but I know where they have been and would love to keep an eye out for a sighting.

Offline birdnut

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2013, 10:32 »
Tracy,  any word on the transmitters on the two chicks from last year?

Offline Qumran

• Past Member
  • Egg
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2013, 17:42 »
While waiting after work for my ride, I happened to look down at the front ramp to the 'Diner'.  Pigeon wing!  Or what was left of it.  I almost took a picture to share with you guys, then thought it might not be appreciated by all... :-X At any rate, our feathered friends are definately eating well if the feathers flying around in the wind are any indication.   :)

I hope now that the Radisson/Brandon cameras are live we don't hear less about our West Winnipeg falcons.  No camera means we'll need more updates! ;D ;D

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2013, 12:28 »
On Sunday we were in the area and about 12:55 there must have been a shift change.

We spotted Beau when we were across the street from the Diner and decided to get closer. One minute we are watching Beau on the Diner, when he ups and takes off. Of course he did this while I was looking down at my camera and fiddling with the settings. Then when I brought my camera up to take his picture he was gone. So while frantically searching the skies we see a peregrine in the distance headed for the Bleachers.

Get in the car and race for the Bleachers. On the way there we see a peregrine take off and lose sight of it. Well, we stared up at the Bleachers for a few minutes and couldn't see anything and no one came back. So then we decided to head to the Tower. That's were we found Jules.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2013, 09:12 »
Yup, more boring here.  Incubating adult looks like Beau and he looks bored too.  I've been trying to tell them that it is all worth it because one of his kids, a male no less, is the resident male in Fargo this year.  Not helping much I don't think, Dad still looks bored.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2013, 12:35 »
Totally boring at the nestsite right now.  No wind in this location and the adult, looks like Beau, is face-planted into the tuppernest.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2013, 21:06 »
Sorry Qumran, getting my locations mixed up now with all the talk about the Diner, the Bleachers, the Lookout and the B&B  :-[
There are three nestsite buildings in this territory and one old one that would be neat to get back into operation but I don't think that would be possible.  The Bleachers is one of their favourite roost sites - like the Diner, the B&B and the Spa ...

Mondays ... do we have to have them EVERY darn week!  ::)

Offline Qumran

• Past Member
  • Egg
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2013, 15:52 »
So they are nested at the Bleachers and not the Diner?  I'm just trying to get my falcons in a row. 

I also saw Beau on the Diner's sign on Friday, and there was a nice assortment of fluff and feathers blowing around the parking lot this morning.

Thanks again for all the updates and info.  It's amazing to be able to 'follow' the happenings of such beautiful birds.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2013, 15:46 »
as of 1545h today ... one of the adults, looks like Beau by the size is tucked firmly on the eggs despite the warm weather and the sun ... we'll see what happens when the sun moves over a bit and not quite so directly on the tuppernest.  He was off the eggs just after lunch when I went by, he was perched in the sun soaking up the rays.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2013, 12:44 »
On Saturday May 4th about noon, Jules was on the east side of the Diner soaking up the rays and Beau was on the Bleachers. So they were not yet into constant incubation mode.

The Bleachers is very warm in the afternoon, so I think perhaps they are into incubation, just that the site is warm enough they can get off the eggs when its not too hot.  Seems that they have been incubating almost as long as the Radisson pair - we'll be able to count backwards once the eggs hatch which will give us a good confirmation since the camera angle at this site is less than optimal at the moment ... not due to the cameras, due to the tuppernest being moved just out of camera range!

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2013, 12:20 »
On Saturday May 4th about noon, Jules was on the east side of the Diner soaking up the rays and Beau was on the Bleachers. So they were not yet into constant incubation mode.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
West Winnipeg - 2013 / May
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2013, 21:48 »
Beau was on the south sign of the Diner this evening, about 6:15-6:30ish. He was soaking up the evening sun.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: West Winnipeg - 2013 / April
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2013, 09:46 »
Yup, looks like we have eggs in the "bad" location, but they look safe in the tuppernest and they certainly have more protection than the Radisson birds have right now!!  Can't tell if they are incubating (think there are just two eggs still but ...) or rather just making sure the eggs are safe from the wet/cold weather today.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2013, 16:01 »
So This means that thet wouldn't give you access to put a nest box there, or not permission to band any chicks there, or they are actively doing something(s) to keep them away?

Okay, this is going to be hard to describe but I will do my best. We have asked for help to keep the peregrines off the building and we've provided information on how to do it.  And it does happen, but not consistently enough to be effective.  So we have been asking to get access to the area of the nestsite before the birds start nesting to block off the site so they literally can not nest there, but we don't get all the necessary permissions in time.  And yes, we do start months in advance.  Same thing for the banding.  Now that makes everyone who works in the building isn't being helpful and that would not be correct, they are very nice, helpful people.  But access to the actual site is a bit complicated so helpful and willing isn't quite enough to get it done I'm afraid.  We are working with new strategies this year, so I have to be hopeful, but time will tell.  :-\

Offline des

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2013, 13:04 »
Not sure, but I think Beau and Jules have begun incubating in the "bad" spot ...  :'(

That is too bad.  To bad something can't be done about that spot.  I know it is not possible because of the circumstances.

Oh we keep trying but without permissions/cooperation on-site, there is only so much we can do I'm afraid.
And if they have started incubating we are already working on options for the banding which will likely be in June.
So This means that thet wouldn't give you access to put a nest box there, or not permission to band any chicks there, or they are actively doing something(s) to keep them away?