Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2013 / Beau & Jules  (Read 60360 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: West Winnipeg - 2013 / April
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2013, 11:06 »
Thanks for this info, dupre & TPC. I do remember a "tuppernest" being placed in this spot a few years ago, but I just assumed that it had been removed afterwards, so as not to encourage the birds to nest there again.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2013, 22:27 »
Hi Kinderchick,

If memory serves me, a Tuppernest was installed in 2011. At the time of installation they had laid four eggs, two of which were damaged, which TPC removed and two were put into the tuppernest. Both hatched that year but one did not survive 24 hours, the other was banded and named "Polo" (like Solo, because he was alone). I don't recall that the tuppernest was ever removed.

No it wasn't.  Because we have so much difficulty accessing the site, we leave it there just in case.  If we can get on-site and block them great, if we can't then at least we can help the birds out a little bit.  Sometimes, little things are all we can do in difficult situations.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2013, 20:40 »
Hi Kinderchick,

If memory serves me, a Tuppernest was installed in 2011. At the time of installation they had laid four eggs, two of which were damaged, which TPC removed and two were put into the tuppernest. Both hatched that year but one did not survive 24 hours, the other was banded and named "Polo" (like Solo, because he was alone). I don't recall that the tuppernest was ever removed.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2013, 17:15 »
Though I can't see into the tuppernest clearly, some of the female's behaviour today looks like she is laying or starting to think about incubating...
Well, that's welcome news to me. I don't recall there being a "tuppernest" here. Good to know. :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2013, 16:21 »
Though I can't see into the tuppernest clearly, some of the female's behaviour today looks like she is laying or starting to think about incubating.  Another 24 hours of observations and it should confirm the likelihood of eggs if not the onset of incubation.

When it's confirmed, we can start working on getting access for banding ...

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2013, 23:04 »
 Thanks dupre!!  8)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2013, 22:20 »
A few shots I managed to take in the past two weeks.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2013, 13:05 »
Not sure, but I think Beau and Jules have begun incubating in the "bad" spot ...  :'(

That is too bad.  To bad something can't be done about that spot.  I know it is not possible because of the circumstances.

Oh we keep trying but without permissions/cooperation on-site, there is only so much we can do I'm afraid.
And if they have started incubating we are already working on options for the banding which will likely be in June.

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2013, 12:03 »
Not sure, but I think Beau and Jules have begun incubating in the "bad" spot ...  :'(

That is too bad.  To bad something can't be done about that spot.  I know it is not possible because of the circumstances.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2013, 11:21 »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2013, 20:38 »
...No the Bleachers isn't the stadium.  The site was named the Bleachers because we used to watch the birds kill things nearby and it made us thing of the Roman Coliseum ... hmm, that does still sound a lot like the old Stadium, but no, sorry, different location.
And TPC's not saying... ;)  :-X

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2013, 15:52 »
I've always thought that the "bleachers" might be the stadium.  ??  Now that the demolishion of the stadium has begun have our birds lost a favorite perching place?  Or am I completely off here?

Yes and no  :D

Yes, the birds do, or now did, like hanging out at the stadium ... for those who know it, they like to sit on the rafters under the roof, particularly on the east side.  And on the yellow rails that held the lights.  Tough to find them when they sat there, far away and dimly lit.

No the Bleachers isn't the stadium.  The site was named the Bleachers because we used to watch the birds kill things nearby and it made us thing of the Roman Coliseum ... hmm, that does still sound a lot like the old Stadium, but no, sorry, different location.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2013, 12:04 »
I've always thought that the "bleachers" might be the stadium.  ??  Now that the demolishion of the stadium has begun have our birds lost a favorite perching place?  Or am I completely off here?

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2013, 11:58 »
Qumran, what a wonderful vantage point you have! You'll have to post often with details!  :)

Ditto! Welcome to the forum.  :) :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2013, 10:36 »
I wonder if TPC's description in the Radisson thread about Jules being 'BAD' means the nest site has been chosen? HOPE NOT!!  ::)

No nest in the proper nestbox  as of last night.  Waiting for the light to get better at the "bad" site to see if Jules is being "bad" this year ...  :-\