Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2013 / Beau & Jules  (Read 58970 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: West Winnipeg - 2013 / September
« Reply #342 on: September 18, 2013, 13:30 »
TPC, would you have some photos showing this difference in tail tips? 

That's a good question Bcbird, I'll have to have a look and get back to everyone ....  ???

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #341 on: September 18, 2013, 13:07 »
Two birds at  diner today. One adult on "o" east side and another bird on Northeast corner. I couldn't tell if the bird was an adult or a juvie as s/he was facing into the building with tail hanging over (and my light was green!)

In case it helps, I often notice the lighter tip on the juveniles' tails more easily or perhaps more often than I notice the lighter band on the adults' tails.  Still not easy while you are driving ...  :)

TPC, would you have some photos showing this difference in tail tips?

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #340 on: September 18, 2013, 11:21 »
Thanks TPC. I don't think I've ever picked up on the tail tip differences. I'll look for that! I'm not sure that I'd be able to see that at that distance with my "old eyes" though. :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #339 on: September 18, 2013, 10:35 »
Two birds at  diner today. One adult on "o" east side and another bird on Northeast corner. I couldn't tell if the bird was an adult or a juvie as s/he was facing into the building with tail hanging over (and my light was green!)

In case it helps, I often notice the lighter tip on the juveniles' tails more easily or perhaps more often than I notice the lighter band on the adults' tails.  Still not easy while you are driving ...  :)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #338 on: September 18, 2013, 09:41 »
Two birds at
 diner today. One adult on "o" east side and another bird on Northeast corner. I couldn't tell if the bird was an adult or a juvie as s/he was facing into the building with tail hanging over (and my light was green!)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #337 on: September 17, 2013, 11:47 »
Just one birdie this morning as I made my way into work. Beau, I think. Although I'm not 100% sure about that identification. Dirty white bib but the rest of his belly seemed quite a bit darker than I would have thought. Maybe just the light.  On the "p", east side of diner at 8:15. 

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #336 on: September 16, 2013, 11:27 »
Two adults spotted at the diner on my way in to work this morning. East side letters, just awatching the sun rise.

That made for an early morning for you Cooper - good sighting though, nice to know they are still around.  Seeing all the geese in the fields outside of town and as we had our first frost warning last night, perhaps we shan't be seeing this pair for too too much longer  ... however much we might like to ...

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #335 on: September 16, 2013, 08:35 »
Two adults spotted at the diner on my way in to work this morning. East side letters, just awatching the sun rise.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #334 on: September 14, 2013, 21:36 »
Was driving in the West Winnipeg area this afternoon around 3:00 PM & had the good fortune to spot a peregrine falcon perched on the "G" on the south side of the building. Looked like one of the adults. :)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #333 on: September 14, 2013, 20:58 »

Who knows Allikat, perhaps you might see another one of the WW girls in Saskatchewan next year if we are lucky  :)
One can hope!   ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 21:51 by allikat »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #332 on: September 14, 2013, 20:54 »
Actually, even though West Winnipeg suffered a loss, unfortunately a female, it was a successful season for this pair of birds, considering how it started!  All I can write is, these birds absolutely know how to create a, "Soap Falconopera"! 
All the best to our birds and we look forward to your return!

Who knows Allikat, perhaps you might see another one of the WW girls in Saskatchewan next year if we are lucky  :)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #331 on: September 14, 2013, 20:39 »
Actually, even though West Winnipeg suffered a loss, unfortunately a female, it was a successful season for this pair of birds, considering how it started!  All I can write is, these birds absolutely know how to create a, "Soap Falconopera"! 
All the best to our birds and we look forward to your return!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #330 on: September 14, 2013, 16:51 »
very sad news about the juvenile but you know, it is still good news in a way, because   she made it  that far, and was able to experience what peregrines do. While sad she will not have opportunity to nest, she was very success in my book

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #329 on: September 13, 2013, 10:31 »
Caught a glimpse of one of the adults on the "e", east side, this morning at about 8:00. Didn't get a good look because traffic was actually moving along this morning. Funny how I don't mind a traffic jam at this particular location.  ;)

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #328 on: September 12, 2013, 22:23 »
Jules was on the east side of the Diner during early evening.