Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2013 / Beau & Jules  (Read 59864 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: West Winnipeg - 2013 / September
« Reply #312 on: September 08, 2013, 14:36 »
Can confirm today that we did in fact lose Koh-i-Noor in North Dakota.  I don't know where exactly yet, but I do know that her cause of death is unknown, she was found near a fence.  There will be a necropsy so more news when I get it.

So far we know of only 2 deaths among the hatchlings this year - that is far below the 50-70% we need to expect and the migration season is only just beginning.  Hopefully we won't have many more such announcements to make but statistically, unfortunately, we probably will.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #311 on: September 07, 2013, 15:29 »
So sad. I await news on this Juvie. Beau and Jules need a break. Tragedy strikes. I do, however, hope that next season they can return to the safe site. How many years can this place have construction going on? It only happens where the nestbox is.  ::)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #310 on: September 06, 2013, 09:20 »
Thanks for the update TPC. I keep hoping we'll hear that Koh-i-Noor managed to rub her transmitter off somehow and made her escape (like a horse manages to rub its rider off on a fence). :)

Beau (I think) spotted this morning at the diner, east side "s", seemed also to be waiting for news.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #309 on: September 04, 2013, 17:13 »
Aw. I'm still hoping for some positive news about this WW chick. No word yet, I guess?

Beau is still hanging out at the diner. I see him most mornings between 8 and 8:30. Yesterday on the northeast corner. This morning on the "e", east side.   

No news from the ground search yet, but I hope to hear and post something soon.
Do have information on who it was - the transmitter was the one put on Koh-i-Noor.  She is the bird that didn't have coloured tape put on her aluminium band. 

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #308 on: September 04, 2013, 10:59 »
Aw. I'm still hoping for some positive news about this WW chick. No word yet, I guess?

Beau is still hanging out at the diner. I see him most mornings between 8 and 8:30. Yesterday on the northeast corner. This morning on the "e", east side.

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #307 on: September 03, 2013, 12:21 »
Oh no!This is very sad  :'(. I hope there is the possibility of positive news (maybe just injured and needs help?).

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #306 on: September 03, 2013, 06:24 »
This is devastating news, TPC. Her journey had only just begun. So sad. So sorry to hear this news.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #305 on: September 03, 2013, 06:22 »
That's very sad news about the WW chick.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #304 on: September 02, 2013, 23:30 »
So sorry to hear this news, TPC. :'(

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
West Winnipeg - 2013 / September
« Reply #303 on: September 02, 2013, 19:09 »
Looks like one of the WW girls may have died in North Dakota.  Her transmitter data is showing a distinctive pattern that usually isn't good news.  We have made arrangements for some support on the ground to track her down so I hope to have more news soon.

I don't know which bird it is yet or where she is/was but when I do I will post it here.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: West Winnipeg - 2013 / August
« Reply #302 on: August 29, 2013, 08:51 »
Two birds at the diner this morning at 8:30. Pretty sure it was Beau and one of the chicks. Beau on the "e" facing east and chick further down on the "r" facing her parent. :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #301 on: August 28, 2013, 10:31 »
Thanks for the report Cooper - you have a much more consistent schedule  ;) which helps when it comes to wide-ranging birds!

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #300 on: August 28, 2013, 08:38 »
Oh, I've seen them quite regularly on the diner. This morning, one adult on the "u" south side. Last night at about 6:00 p.m. one adult on letters on east side. Previous to that (forget which day) one adult on letters on East side and what appeared to be a chick on the northeast corner. So they're hanging about.

One day I thought I had seen two chicks on the diner, but that was on a day you'd reported the chicks in Brandon, so perhaps it was both adults.

Whoever they all are it makes my day to see them as I pass. :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #299 on: August 27, 2013, 20:03 »
One chick on the nestbox at the Diner - or it looked like a chick as I drove by.  Only that single bird though no sign of either the adults but checking my notes it looks like this is Beau's and Jules' normal routine at this time of the year.  Come September they do tend to come back and hang out more intensely just before they migrate.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #298 on: August 22, 2013, 15:46 »
I did not know to go anywhere than here good to know where the youngsters are 

Usually I post here and in more detail then post something on Twitter if it seems appropriate for a tweet. Not much going on right now that we can see at the nestsites or on camera, so it was definitely tweat-able.   That day I couldn't access the internet and then couldn't access the forum (not a forum glitch) but I could reach Twitter on my smartphone.  So I reversed the order and forgot to go back to post on the Forum when I could get online the next day.  Twitter is new for us and so far it is working well, so for those who want to follow along on both, help yourselves, but if you follow here on the Forum, you won't miss anything - or rarely as was the case this time  :)