Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2013 / Beau & Jules  (Read 58995 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: West Winnipeg - 2013 / September
« Reply #327 on: September 12, 2013, 18:06 »
Nothing as I went past the second time today or at least, not on the south side.  Mayhaps, Cooper and Closet Birder will have better luck.  However, there will come a point not so long from now when we just won't see them again this year ...  :'(

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #326 on: September 12, 2013, 11:23 »

Yesterday afternoon going by, I had two birds, both with breasts that were too light to be chicks, one bird larger than the other so pretty darn sure it was Jules (south side "v") and Beau (on the south side blue "box").

I caught the same view at about 5:30 yesterday evening!

This morning again two adults, this time smaller bird (assume Beau) on south side and larger (Jules?) on the east side. It seemed weird to see them on different sides of the building - almost like they were ignoring each other, giving each other the silent treatment.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #325 on: September 12, 2013, 11:08 »
Parent on the "G" east side this morning at 8:30. I'm not certain it was Beau though. Seemed at little larger, although that may have been because he was sitting forward and I got a full view. How'd you do closet birder?  :)

I rolled by earlier than that and had a bird that looked like Beau on the "s" ... looking out it was just his breast that was visible and it looked smaller.  He does like to ply Jules with food so she came in to eat and he went off to find more ...

Yesterday afternoon going by, I had two birds, both with breasts that were too light to be chicks, one bird larger than the other so pretty darn sure it was Jules (south side "v") and Beau (on the south side blue "box").

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #324 on: September 11, 2013, 09:03 »
Parent on the "G" east side this morning at 8:30. I'm not certain it was Beau though. Seemed at little larger, although that may have been because he was sitting forward and I got a full view. How'd you do closet birder?  :)

Offline closet birder

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #323 on: September 10, 2013, 14:38 »
I gave up on driving that way this morning and took a different route into work. Too backed up!! Usually it's around 8 AM that I pass by and see them. People probably wonder why my head is turned around looking backwards when I'm driving.  :) If I get out of the house earlier tomorrow I'll go back to that route.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #322 on: September 10, 2013, 10:25 »
I struck out this morning too. I did see Beau at the diner, East side, on my way home last night though, so I guess that image will have to carry me through today.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #321 on: September 10, 2013, 09:19 »
Nothing on the south side of the Diner as I went past this morning ... wish there had been, traffic was nice and slow and I could have managed a decent look at the birds without annoying other drivers  :)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #320 on: September 09, 2013, 14:05 »
You must take the same route as me, Cooper. I also enjoy seeing at least one of the peregrines, often two, every morning on the diner as I drive by.

Oh, oh. Two of us busy looking up instead of on the road. We're bound to run into each other (literally) sooner or later!  :)

Yes, I almost always see one or two in the morning. Sometimes on the way home too (this past Friday evening 7:00 p.m., Beau on the east side) Although that's getting trickier as that blinding sun is getting lower in the sky now.

Offline closet birder

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #319 on: September 09, 2013, 10:44 »
You must take the same route as me, Cooper. I also enjoy seeing at least one of the peregrines, often two, every morning on the diner as I drive by.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #318 on: September 09, 2013, 09:53 »
Two birds at the diner this morning to start my week off with a smile. Beau on a south "o" and I'm pretty sure (based on colouring) it was one of the chicks on the "G". Traffic was snarled up so I had plenty of time to ogle.  :)

No one was there when I went by  :'( 
But we managed to get through the jam quite quickly and it was very early ... maybe better luck later when I'm driving past again later (fingers crossed)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #317 on: September 09, 2013, 08:54 »
Two birds at the diner this morning to start my week off with a smile. Beau on a south "o" and I'm pretty sure (based on colouring) it was one of the chicks on the "G". Traffic was snarled up so I had plenty of time to ogle.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #316 on: September 08, 2013, 17:37 »
:(  :'( Thank you TPC for your post confirming the loss of our WW fledgling. I hope for the use of the safe nest next year. Throughout this fall/winter, no more bad news. I, for one, anticipate our Winnipeg falcons will have successful nests in the future.

Unfortunately, news from the B&B is that the work will continue for a couple more years apparently.  This year was a great year once we had them transplanted to the nestbox, the girls didn't have a single problem, it was kinda scary.   

We do finally have approval to block off the horrible nestsite next spring and that hopefully will send Beau & Jules off to the transplant site.  But given difficulties in previous years, I'm going to wait until we actually have it blocked off before I'm happy. 

But that is still 6 months away and we should enjoy that we have only had two mortalities (that we know of) this year and not borrow trouble from next year ...  ;)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #315 on: September 08, 2013, 17:29 »
 :(  :'( Thank you TPC for your post confirming the loss of our WW fledgling. I hope for the use of the safe nest next year. Throughout this fall/winter, no more bad news. I, for one, anticipate our Winnipeg falcons will have successful nests in the future.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #314 on: September 08, 2013, 17:10 »
Well now, darn it.   :(

Thank you for the update TPC.

Still cheers me to see Beau though hanging about the diner. On the "e" south side at 4:00 today.

Couldn't agree more Cooper, particularly since the sisters did so very very well at fledging.

As I recall, Beau typically hangs out in town in the fall while Jules goes wandering.  Last year he was last spotted on September 27th ... and he was the first bird to arrive back this spring on March 27th ...

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #313 on: September 08, 2013, 16:16 »
Well now, darn it.   :(

Thank you for the update TPC.

Still cheers me to see Beau though hanging about the diner. On the "e" south side at 4:00 today.