Author Topic: West Winnipeg - 2013 / Beau & Jules  (Read 58997 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: West Winnipeg - 2013 / September
« Reply #357 on: September 29, 2013, 10:29 »
As I mentioned in the Brandon Tower thread, migration is underway for our birds - one of the West Winnipeg girls was tracked over Kansas last week - that is too far south for a little autumn adventure, she is on her way.  I wasn't going to post until I had information on who it is.  The bird started heading south from north of Winnipeg so I'm assuming it's La Peregrina because she was the one still in the province, but Andamooka could have returned from the US for a last visit ... so have requested more information.  Because we were talking migration on the Tower thread and I mentioned the WW chick, I figured I had better post what little I had heard here too.

When I get proper information I will post it.

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #356 on: September 27, 2013, 17:55 »
Both Beau and Jules were on the east side of the Diner today at about 3:45 p.m.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #355 on: September 26, 2013, 18:48 »
Just our lonely Beau at the diner yesterday and today. East side letters Wednesday evening and early this morning.

It's nice that you are still seeing at least Beau.  :)  I don't really know how long the west Winnipeg birds stay before they decide to migrate.  Last year Sept 21st was the last time I saw Brooklyn and Hurricane was here until the 2nd of October. Brooklyn seems to be staying a bit longer this year, but he was back a week later than he was in 2012.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #354 on: September 26, 2013, 12:21 »
Just our lonely Beau at the diner yesterday and today. East side letters Wednesday evening and early this morning.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #353 on: September 24, 2013, 11:51 »
Morning gloom would certainly be brightened by seeing these two.  

You must have very good vision, Cooper.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #352 on: September 24, 2013, 08:02 »
Well, two birds still here. East side diner on the "e" and the "s" at about 7:20 a.m. Frankly, they looked like chicks to me. All dark and golden. But maybe that was just due to the morning gloom and the glow of the pending sunrise in the east. In any event, still two birds about. :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #351 on: September 20, 2013, 19:39 »
Its at this time of the year, with this behaviour that I wonder if this will be the year these two stay here all winter.  And then they leave and it's five months until one or the other of them reappears ...

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #350 on: September 20, 2013, 08:54 »
Diner spotting at 8:30 this morning found Jules on the south side, Beau on the east, both on their respective s's.  :)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #349 on: September 19, 2013, 10:10 »
Parents still bumping around the "empty nest". Beau on the south side "p", Jules on the east side "e" at the diner at 8:35 this morning.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #348 on: September 19, 2013, 09:21 »
good to hear they are doing fine. they jut might find a place to call home before heading to migration. What I am meaning, is they could be scouting and find something perfect for them to return to

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #347 on: September 18, 2013, 23:21 »
Great pictures of the tail tips, TPC.  Thanks for finding those.

Nice to also get that update on our wandering girls.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #346 on: September 18, 2013, 18:24 »
That is very interesting, to hear of the travels of these 2 PF's! 8)

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #345 on: September 18, 2013, 16:21 »
Wow! That is fascinating.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #344 on: September 18, 2013, 15:50 »
Update on our two surviving girls from West Winnipeg from the last couple of weeks ...

Andamooka - has been ranging from the south basin of Lake Manitoba south to Devils Lake and up/down the Red River Valley in Manitoba and North Dakota/Minnesota.  The distance from her most northerly point to most southerly point over this period is over 300km.

La Peregrina - not travelling with her sister at all.  Her explorations have been from Lake Manitoba east to the Whiteshell and south not quite to the US border.  Distance from two most distant points in her travels is 200km, so she's still covering a lot of ground.  

Neither of these birds has been returning to Winnipeg so the birds we are seeing in West Winnipeg are likely Beau and Jules.  If a chick has been observed then it's either a Radisson chick, maybe an HSC chick or perhaps a chick on its travels from North Dakota - remember that is how we first met Sandy and Smiley as well as Luck from Brandon.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #343 on: September 18, 2013, 13:47 »
TPC, would you have some photos showing this difference in tail tips? 

That's a good question Bcbird, I'll have to have a look and get back to everyone ....  ???

Had a look through Dennis' photos first, well, because he photos are so much better than mine  ::)  Keep in mind that these are excellent photos taken by an experienced photographer with hi-tech equipment and a steady hand.  Driving a car on a busy road during rush hour trying not to hit other motorists and possibly walkin-n-textin pedestrians is another thing entirely.  But it should help some I hope.

chick tail tips - 2012 A Day with Fleet

adult tail tips - 2012 Radisson

I chose galleries because you can see their tails in lots of positions and that both chicks and adults have light coloured tips, just that the chicks' are often bigger than the adults and often the adults have "wear" on their tails so they look a bit ragged and that often makes it hard to see the light colour that is there.  Just as being able to see that a breast looks white or gold will tell you adult or chick but only if you can see it, the same applies to tail tips.